Boyd remains focused amid new Rangers turmoil

Bothwellbear

Boyd remains focused amid new Rangers turmoil

KRIS Boyd today insisted the Rangers players won't let the off-field turmoil at the Ibrox club impact on their play on the park.

MatthewLindsay.jpg

Matthew Lindsay Sports Journalist

Monday 01/09/2014

0 Comments

Print

25209026.jpg

Kris Boyd has yet to score a Championship goal for Rangers

Boyd helped the Gers to a hard-fought 4-2 win over Queen of the South at home in the SPFL Championship on Saturday.

Light Blues fans in the Broomloan Road Stand staged red card protests in the 18th and 72nd minutes of the second tier match.

The Glasgow club revealed on Friday their future would be in doubt if they fail to raise at least £3million from a share offering later this month.

Many Rangers followers are incensed at the predicament the League One champions find themselves in as they bid to return to the Scottish top flight.

But manager Ally McCoist praised the professionalism of his charges, who came from behind twice at the weekend to triumph, amid growing uncertainty.

And striker Boyd, who rejoined his boyhood heroes on a free transfer in the summer, has no fears the unrest in the stands will derail their title bid.

He said: "At the end of the day, when you go on the pitch you need to focus fully on the game.

"You must try to switch off from the things that are going on off the pitch.

"Sometimes it can be difficult, but, as I said, I think that the most important thing for us is to maintain our level of performances and pick up points for the club."

Boyd added: "We all know that there have been a lot of off-field problems for the club in the last few years.

"But for us as a team and as individuals the most important thing is to go on the pitch, score goals and put in good performances. I think we will do that.

"We did well to come back and win the game against Queen of the South. In the first half we weren't good enough, but we rectified that at half-time.

"We have to put in good displays from now on and show we merit wearing the jersey. I am sure we'll continue to do that."

Despite carving out several scoring for his Rangers team-mates, Boyd has so far failed to score in the Champion-ship in four matches.

All the 31-year-old's goals have come in the Petrofac Training Cup and the League Cup.

However, the former Scotland star has vowed to start hitting the target in the league - starting in the game against Raith Rovers at Stark's Park on Friday week.

He said: "I felt I helped the team out as much as a I could. But I was signed so that I could score goals and I am frustrated I am not doing that in the league.

"I will keep working hard in training and in matches and I am sure they will come. I will be looking to score in our next game."