Ian Black on the Boardroom Turmoil at Rangers

WilliamCahill91

Ian Black is basically saying that the players don't really give a shit about what happens in the boardroom, as long as they get paid on time.

So there's another excuse that Ally can no longer use.

Decent article, to be fair. Hit a few nails on to heads.

http://www.dailyreco...s-shrug-4678381

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL for one – and every man for himself.

Clearly Ian Black’s motto for Rangers’ new era.

If ever you needed confirmation of the mink-lined vacuum some players live in, the Rangers midfielder was happy to provide it last week.

“The only time it affects you,” he said, talking about his club’s off-field circus, “is when it gets to the stage when you’re not getting paid.

“That’s the only time it will affect the players. Until then we don’t really pay attention to it.”

Ten staff made redundant, 10 lives ruined six weeks before Christmas, 10 families thrown into upheaval.

But as long as there’s unleaded for the Bentley and foie gras for the dinner table in the Black household, eh? Talk about being detached from reality. VIEW GALLERY

A month of Black’s wages would have kept a couple of those staff – his fellow employees – in jobs for a year.

It never works that way, I get that. It’s never that simple.

Like when Gers plunged into admin what seems like a lifetime ago and the players took pay cuts on the guarantee that no staff would be emptied.

It was flawed logic at the heart of an even more flawed administration – but at least it showed the dressing room had some kind of conscience at the time, a little integrity. A base layer of decency.

Clearly not the case these days.

And perhaps wholly indicative that the complete Ashleyfication of the club is moving ever closer.

The ‘he said, she said’ debacle between the Easdales, David Somers, Dave King, George Letham, Brian Kennedy and the entire ensemble cast has become a daily weeping sore, a little more pus seeping out every few hours on the wires.

The court actions against those at the centre of the club’s shambolic descent.

The giant cartoon sticking plasters that are Mike Ashley’s temporary loans, covering over one burst financial pipe only for another one to spring a leak right next to it. Fred Quimby would’ve had a field day with this kind of material.

And those job losses. Always the staff, usually always the good guys who plod away in the background trying to keep the place ticking over while the bombs drop around them. You end up asking yourself who’s going to be left to switch the lights on and off, make the place function on a day to day basis, so many of them have been given deals.

Then again, is that all part of the plan? If there is a plan?

A few weeks ago, this column indulged in a little bit of devil’s advocation, asking whether a profit-oriented pragmatist such as Ashley wasn’t exactly what Rangers needed to get them running on an even keel, rather than the regimes who openly admitted to blowing £67m in 18 months.

What price will they pay for it, though?

Are Rangers just going to become a footballing branch of Sports Direct, a strip-lit, soulless outlet, centrally administered by faceless call-centre minions?

What will become of the Rangers Charity Foundation? What about all the work in the community they do? The Rangers Study Support Centre?

Are all these things still going to be funded, or will they be stripped away? Are they about to become a bare-bones operation without a care for what or who they represent?

Will they have any values, or is it simply about value?

From everything you hear about Ashley, he won’t give a toss about the periphery and the frippery.

But they are questions that need answers because these are all things that make a club. They’re constituent parts of something that’s bigger than 11 players, four stands and two goals.

Look at Celtic’s agm the other day. Look at how much is made of the culture of the club, its history, when it comes to things like the living wage and their staff being looked after.

Look at an organisation like Big Hearts and the amount they do in the community, how much retaining its reach meant to them when they emerged from admin.

Then look at Rangers and wonder what they’re going to look like when this is all done. If it’s ever all done.

Wonder at what point an Ian Black WILL care about what’s going on outside his cocoon and whether there will be anything left of them to care about anywa

Ian Black is basically saying that the players don't really give a shit about what happens in the boardroom, as long as they get paid on time.

So there's an excuse that Ally can no longer use.

I think it is a pretty terrible article, anti Rangers agenda loud and clear.

I think it is a pretty terrible article, anti Rangers agenda loud and clear.

Players don't give a shit about what happens at boardroom level. Fact.

£67m blown in 18 months. Fact.

Players taking pay-cuts during first admin. Fact.

Good people, who helped the Club to keep on running lose their jobs when underachieving, overrated, overpaid footballers earn thousands. Fact.

Eleven players, four stands and two goals don't make a club. Fact.

Are Rangers becoming the footballing branch of Sports Direct? Looking more likely by the week.

I must be missing something. Either that or we've read different articles.

So there's another excuse that Ally can no longer use.

he is also basically saying they don't give a shit about redundencys either as long as they get paid, poor show in my opinion. Why can't footballers just keep their mouths shut at times like these?? As for the press, the can dish out loaded questions to make the players fall into their trap or totally control the direction of the interview so the player has to say the answers that will suit them, stop talking to the wanks. Problem solved.

If I'm right, this relates to an interview he gave to clyde last week.

In that interview he was asked if the boardroom turmoil affected the players- he answered no and that it was worse at hearts when they weren't getting paid.

He was then asked about the job losses- he replied he knew nothing about it and this was the first he heard

So this article draws a very long bow with a question about boardroom turmoil and the hearts wage problem, to redundancies at rangers that black knew nothing about?

Unless it's taken from another interview it would appear, plainly, that Waddell is at it

he is also basically saying they don't give a shit about redundencys either as long as they get paid, poor show in my opinion. Why can't footballers just keep their mouths shut at times like these?? As for the press, the can dish out loaded questions to make the players fall into their trap or totally control what direction the of the interview so the player has to say the answers that will suit them, stop talking to the wAnks. Problem solved

It can be perceived as arrogant, but essentially he's right. As long as he's okay and still in a job. You can't really argue with that. That's how I'd see it, if a few of my colleagues were laid off and I managed to keep my job. The reason that people have such a problem with Black saying that though is because, quite simply, he's a footballer who earns thousands of pounds every week.

Remember too, the guy wasn't paid for two months at Hearts and had to double-job as a painter and decorator. So, I certainly wouldn't hold a grudge against him for looking out for himself, especially where his salary is involved.

It can be perceived as arrogant, but essentially he's right. As long as he's okay and still in a job. You can't really argue with that. That's how I'd see it, if a few of my colleagues were laid off and I managed to keep my job. The reason that people have such a problem with Black saying that though is because, quite simply, he's a footballer who earns thousands of pounds every week.

He gets thousands a week, very much doubt he earns it though.

He gets thousands a week, very much doubt he earns it though.

Listen, bud. He's hired to play in football matches. He does that. Then he gets paid.

Aye, he's pish, but let's not muddy up facts here.

The guy only said what anyone else would say.

Listen, bud. He's hired to play in football matches. He does that. Then he gets paid.

Aye, he's pish, but let's not muddy up facts here.

The guy only said what anyone else would say.

Listen, bud. When did I muddy the facts?? I never said what he said was wrong, just a bit shitty. All I said was, it would be better if he said nothing at all.

Listen, bud. When did I muddy the facts?? I never said what he said was wrong, just a bit shitty. All I said was, it would be better if he said nothing at all.

You said he doesn't earn his wage at Rangers. He does. Just like anyone who's hired to do a job. They earn a wage as in return for performing the task that they agreed to. Fact.

Whether you, me or anyone else think he's performed in that job to the best of his ability or not, or deem him worthy of what he happens to be paid is total opinion.

Fact and opinion, two totally different things.

Everyone is missing this point. The article has twisted his comments.

Black knew nothing of redundancies.

He was asked if the turmoil affected the team- he answered no, it doesn't affect them on the pitch and that he's been through worse at hearts with non payment etc

I don't like him as a player, but black is being stitched up here

Everyone is missing this point. The article has twisted his comments.

Black knew nothing of redundancies.

He was asked if the turmoil affected the team- he answered no, it doesn't affect them on the pitch and that he's been through worse at hearts with non payment etc

I don't like him as a player, but black is being stitched up here

I know that but I think the guy I've been quoting the last few times doesn't pick up on that.

You said he doesn't earn his wage at Rangers. He does. Just like anyone who's hired to do a job. They earn a wage as in return for performing the task that they agreed to. Fact.

Whether you, me or anyone else think he's performed in that job to the best of his ability or not, or deem him worthy of what he happens to be paid is total opinion.

Fact and opinion, two totally different things.

There's that big FACT getting flung in for good measure. You knew what I ment when I said " he gets the wage but I doubt he's earned it" didn't you?? It was an off the cuff comment about his performance in a Rangers Jersey, but I know you know this. FACT. So what you arguing about? Get tae yer bed.

I think it's yet another anti Rangers hating, one sided agenda driven article. He has taken one line from an Ian Black interview and made Black, and Rangers to once again be the big bad wolf, and also proceeds to use mock sympathy, IMO for those who have recently lost their jobs.

Like most interviews Rangers players give, the media love to get the players views on the boardroom turmoil. Perhaps Black should have just batted the questions away but in fairness to him, he's given an honest and frank opinion. Presumably he's been asked if off the field matters have affected the players on the park and he's merely said it doesn't (which it shouldn't) and the only time he is concerned is when he doesn't get paid. On that line alone, Waddell has gone totally one way and taken that as Black saying he doesn't give a fuck about people losing their jobs, which IMO is total nonsense. And even if Black didn't care, which is his prerogative, Waddell, also conveniently omitted this from the Black interview:

"I have been through it at Hearts. And the only time it affects you is when it gets to the stage I was at when you weren’t getting paid and you can’t pay your bills.

“That’s the only time it will affect the players. So until then we don’t really pay attention to it.

“We just concentrate on what we are getting paid for, going out and winning games and doing well for the club and the fans.

“But until it gets to a really bad stage, like Hearts were in when I was there, that’s the only time it will trouble us.

“I wasn’t paid for two-and-a-half months and that’s a long time for anybody. I have a family to support and that’s the main thing."

Having gone through that at Hearts, unsurprisingly his family will always be his priority. In saying that I don't think he even knew too much about the redundancies, if anything at all, so for Waddell to use that angle, IMO is frankly pathetic.

With regard to the redundancies, I feel for anyone losing their job, especially at Christmas, and when they have families, houses, bills etc. It's horrible, however i'm sure the majority of posters, and people in life have been through redundancies. I've been through it. It's tough but that's life, however it's not the end of the world. I think it's also fair to say that the people who have lost their jobs would have known it was coming and would have been, or should have been, actively seeking and preparing for new employment. You could also argue they have been lucky to have been with us for so long if their specific role at the club has been somewhat surplus for a while now. I feel Waddell is trying to use this as some sort of further leverage to beat us with. Do you think he really cares about people losing their job? IMO, does he fuck! As above I feel for those losing their job but if there is no role at the club for them, unfortunately they are surplus to requirements, and it would be silly to keep them on.

The terminology, wording, and angle throughout this whole piece is so biased it's unreal. I can't say i'm surprised though as I really struggle to find any impartial journalists anymore who are able to give a balanced, sensible article based on real facts, who also have the very simple ability of being objective. It really shouldn't be that hard. Maybe one day....

I didn't know black knew nothing of redundencys, and neither did you or you would have said that and ended the argument right there!!

It was quite clear. No-one had to point it out to me. Read it again and you'll see.

There's that big FACT getting flung in for good measure. You knew what I ment when I said " he gets the wage but I doubt he's earned it" didn't you?? It was an off the cuff comment about his performance in a Rangers Jersey, but I know you know this. FACT. So what you arguing about? Get tae yer bed.

You're arguing with yourself, mate. "I know you know this..."

I understand how to use the English language properly and because you clearly don't, you're getting all bent out of shape.

I won't be replying to you in this thread again. Have a glorious day/night/whatever the fuck.

Tally ho.

This is why I don't take anything to heart or as fact with the rhebel. They write what they think will work for their own ends and go out of their way to make any one within our club look bad.

Good or bad player, doubt highly you have been given the accurate story here. I know many people who like to make things up to suit their own agenda.

The article does twist what Black is saying but that aside, hes not Rangers class on or off the pitch. I dont know if its just me but I dont trust him. Thats not even me reffering to him betting against his own team. He couldnt give a flying fuck about Rangers or if we win or lose, as long as he gets his money. Get him to fuck.