Drew Robertson seems more balanced than other "fan chiefs"

OlegKuznetsov

Rangers fans chief Drew Roberton has sympathy with club board

_64054796_phil.jpgBy Phil GoodladBBC Scotland

Drew Roberton, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association, admitted his sympathies probably lie with the board in the stand-off with the club's manager, Ally McCoist.

McCoist, who has handed in his 12 months' notice, met chairman of the football board Sandy Easdale and director Derek Llambias on Wednesday.

But they did not agree on a deal to end his three-and-a-half year reign now.

"I've probably got more sympathy with the board in this one," said Roberton.

"Ally as a player and as a manager has been well rewarded and I'm quite sure he will have other irons in the fire.

"It's a really unsatisfactory situation at the minute and I would hope that the board and Ally can sit round the table and come to some amicable arrangement."

By tendering his resignation on his 12-month rolling contract, McCoist has created a dilemma for the Ibrox hierarchy.

_79810746_sandy_easdale_sns.jpg

They must either pay him off with a settlement, bring in a replacement but continue to pay him on so-called "gardening leave", or leave him in position to run down his contract.

The lack of cash at Ibrox and the faltering performance of the team in the Scottish Championship makes the decision even more difficult.

McCoist could opt to leave without a pay-off but that is not a scenario Roberton reckons will happen.

He told BBC Radio Scotland: "There are others who have contributed a lot less to the club but who have walked out with large cheques in their pocket, so if Ally is contractually entitled to a pay-off then why should he go without one?

"Yesterday's meeting turned out to be a non-event. You have two parties sitting round the table trying to protect their own interests."

With supporters now staying away from Ibrox, the Rangers board will be keen to see how many fans attend the home game against Livingston on Saturday, and Roberton frets about the effect of the impasse on the players.

"I don't think yesterday's decision will do much to encourage an increase in attendances," he said.

"It is difficult to believe that the players will go out there fully motivated knowing that the manager is unhappy in his position and perhaps doesn't really want to be there.

"Something's got to give and I imagine this will be a topic at the AGM."

Rangers will hold their annual general meeting on Monday.

I actually expected a bigger backlash on the forum, both in the den and boardroom and financial.

It appears to me that the fans have taken a fuck this attitude to all the developments.

And who can blame us.

It's panto season but this is taking the piss.

Oh and I don't trust any fans reps either, always a reason to take up an unpaid post.

Usually self importance

She did make me chuckle, but she was quite well spoken and direct.

I also wondered if she was a former employee.

Some quotes this morning saying there were 3 ladies. One hadn't been well and got help from Ally and Jig. That's commendable but doesn't make you the right man for the job.

Some quotes this morning saying there were 3 ladies. One hadn't been well and got help from Ally and Jig. That's commendable but doesn't make you the right man for the job.

Ya like the story Ally phoned all the staff that got the boot recently to say sorry then takes a £400K pay raise but some of our fans says hes entitled to. This is morally wrong, but contractually correct to me is just mind blowing this man can do this, take a deal ally and fuck off like all the other spivs.

The problem is that whatever the History you cannot pay someone if you do not have the cash to pay them. Unless of course you sell something else to raise the cash or borrow money to do so.

Rangers Football Club does not have the cash.

The only assets left with no borrowing secured on them are Ibrox and Auchenhowie. These could theoretically be sold or used as security for further borrowing. But no main stream lender would lend cash to us in our current financial position. Ally McCoist has a death grip on the Club. They cannot pay him off and if they keep him we as a Club decline further.

What Ally McCoists endgame is I do not know. Either his move is motivated by a simple desire to see his contract honoured at all costs- and with no regard for the future of the Club, or it is part of a greater strategy to further weaken the Clubs share price so that his friends can try to take over, or he is hoping that an existing shareholder will just give him the cash to go.

No one comes out with much credit- but Ally McCoist now has none left in my book.

How Media House employees are on this thread. Who in their right mind could possibly defend the present board, especially the Easdales'!!!

Not a fan of this board, as they should have sacked him years ago, but why is it always the Easdales fault, seems you seem to be another uof , who have helped in the decline of our club, so blame rst, uof , etc we are in a state and these tits are gloating about it