QPR vs. Rangers early 1970s

The Widow's Son

Seem to recall that Rangers travelled to Loftus Road for a friendly in the (very) early 1970s. As I recall, and I drank far too much in those days, Rodney Marsh played for QPR and apparently tangled with one of the Rangers players near the touchline. Can any of the more seasoned (I didn't say older!!) bears furnish details of this fixture.? It's beyond my cable tow at the minute. Often tried, never denied, willing to be tried again.

from facebook

EXTRACTS FROM : MATCH REPORT 75 mins : Rodney Marsh Goes Berserk.So far a really entertaining game, played in a good spirit despite the fact that both teams were working hard and playing competitively. A thrilling finale is set.

Then… Kai Johansen attempts to slide tackle Marsh on the ‘Ellerslie Road’ touchline.

Marsh’s dummy is too clever for him and he follows through. A bad but unintentional challenge. Both players tumble to the turf. Marsh then lashes out with his feet. He rises and continues his attack. Fed up with kicking him, he shakes him and throws a flurry of punches.

Other players rush to the incident and Bobby Watson of Rangers is quickest to reach the scene. Marsh turns his attentions away from the now prostrate Johansen and headbutts Bobby Watson in the face.

Eventually a fan, a photographer, 2 QPR officials plus a nervous looking linesman restrain the hysterical Marsh.

The fan and the photographer deserve huge credit for intervening in a situation which was not theirs to deal with as the police and referee were perfectly happy to sit this one out.

Does the referee send him off? No. He merely wags his fingers and delivers a lecture to Marsh.You would think that with hundreds of good Metropolitan Constables specially drafted in for fear of violence, one of them may have just witnessed an assault, not one does but they seem rather more interested in the Rangers fans voicing their fury at the appalling double assault.

For the moment I’ll leave you with the thought that John Greig and Willie Henderson might with hindsight have signed their newly ‘unemployed’ chum Ken Buchanan for the day – Mind you thank goodness, Marsh did not attack Willie Johnston.

They could have sold out Wembley if he had.Meanwhile the hapless Rangers physio has his work out as he simultaneously tries to treat both players.Amazingly, once play restarts, Marsh bursts through powerfully and Gerhadt Neef dives bravely at his feet to save a certain goal.

To his credit, Les Allen then removes Marsh from the field replacing him with Frank Sibley. Whether his motive was to punish Marsh or protect him from any retribution it was a very good decision. It goes some way to assuaging the anger of the Rangers fans who raise a large cheer at his departure.

LAST 10 MINUTES

The remainder of the game is played with a bitter taste in the mouth. QPR do not seem to want to cause further upset to their guests, and Rangers for their part do not seem to be interested in making an exciting game of it anymore. Perhaps both sides under instructions to simply play out time.

FINAL SCORE : QPR 3 (Venables [pen], F Clarke, Morgan)RANGERS 3 (Henderson, Smith, Watson/Hunt)

Attendance : 16,752 well behaved supporters.But there’s always that mindless idiot who spoils it for everyone. This one was playing.

Seem to recall that Rangers travelled to Loftus Road for a friendly in the (very) early 1970s. As I recall, and I drank far too much in those days, Rodney Marsh played for QPR and apparently tangled with one of the Rangers players near the touchline. Can any of the more seasoned (I didn't say older!!) bears furnish details of this fixture.? It's beyond my cable tow at the minute. Often tried, never denied, willing to be tried again.

Are you a hundred yet?

Yes I remember this game as well. One of my pre-season trips to London to watch the bears. Used to hitch-hike down and back and stay with an old aunt and uncle who lived in Kensington. Really sunny day if I remember correctly. A good game spoiled by Marsh who went berserk. Couldn't believe he didn't get sent off.