A Rangers Trip To Hamburg - Help Needed

Me, my old man, and my brother are considering a trip to Hamburg some time in 2016 for a Bundesliga game and a weekend stay in the city.

What's the best way to go about this? Best places to stay? Best time to book? Clearly, we'll await the Bundesliga fixtures announcement before booking anything first. Adamant to do this.

Very easy buying tickets online.

We stayed for 5 nights the winter before last in a flat in Pastorenstrasse which is near the St Michaelis Church. Smashing wee residential area in the heart of the town within easy reach of the Altstadt busy central area, St Pauli and the Hafencity, all of which are worth a visit. Near to underground too and it's dead easy to get to the stadium on the underground/surface rail.

If I was going back I'd stay in that area again. It was an owners direct type deal, and it worked out perfectly. It was cheaper than a hotel yet you get an entire apartment. Depends how much you want to spend, whether you're doing it on the cheap or not.

I'd recommend signing up to Air BNB. It takes a bit of effort to get signed up, because it's very into verifications to make sure ytou are who you say you are, but it's worth it. They're advertising on the telly just now, it's a way of doing it that's increasing in popularity. We stayed in Japan recently using it. Met the owner at check in and that was it. Didn't see him again and we just left the keys in a letterbox for him. Afterwards both sides review each other (but you can't see the other's review until you've done yours so that yours is honest and not based on what they've said about you). That way you develop a reputation after a few trips of being a trustworthy tenant (or owner) and people are more likely to rent to you or from you (can sometimes be tough at first apparently, until you get some reviews under your belt. We had no problems, though). Sounds complicated, but after you get started it's not, and it's well worth it. You get good value for money in alot of places.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Hamburg--Germany?checkin=16-09-2015&checkout=24-09-2015&guests=2&ne_lat=53.56066800581463&ne_lng=10.000593499440356&search_by_map=true&source=bb&ss_id=99sclf3b&sw_lat=53.536283052414966&sw_lng=9.957163171071215

Just an idea. If you choose to go for a hotel, the best bits are around the hafencity, Altstadt, St Georg. There are lots of other good bits as well, though and obviously the centre will be pricier than further out, or some of the less upmarket bits (St Pauli for example).

As with most things, the earlier you book the more choice you'll have. As for tickets, from memory you can book them a good few months in advance, but the way Hamburg are just now it's not hard to get tickets for many of the games. We went to see them get pumped v Augsburg, and I would say there were a good 5 thousand empty seats.

We sat in area 2C from memory, at the front of that section alongside the pitch rather than behind the goal. Quite near the standing section behind the goal, so it was good for atmosphere.

Very easy buying tickets online.

We stayed for 5 nights the winter before last in a flat in Pastorenstrasse which is near the St Michaelis Church. Smashing wee residential area in the heart of the town within easy reach of the Altstadt busy central area, St Pauli and the Hafencity, all of which are worth a visit. Near to underground too and it's dead easy to get to the stadium on the underground/surface rail.

If I was going back I'd stay in that area again. It was an owners direct type deal, and it worked out perfectly. It was cheaper than a hotel yet you get an entire apartment. Depends how much you want to spend, whether you're doing it on the cheap or not.

I'd recommend signing up to Air BNB. It takes a bit of effort to get signed up, because it's very into verifications to make sure ytou are who you say you are, but it's worth it. They're advertising on the telly just now, it's a way of doing it that's increasing in popularity. We stayed in Tokyo recently using it. Met the owner at check in and that was it. Didn't see him again and we just left the keys in a letterbox for him. Afterwards both sides review each other (but you can't see the other's review until you've done yours so that yours is honest and not based on what they've said about you). That way you develop a reputation after a few trips of being a trustworthy tenant (or owner) and people are more likely to rent to you or from you (can sometimes be tough at first apparently, until you get some reviews under your belt. We had no problems, though). Sounds complicated, but after you get started it's not, and it's well worth it. You get good value for money in alot of places.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Hamburg--Germany?checkin=16-09-2015&checkout=24-09-2015&guests=2&zoom=14&search_by_map=true&sw_lat=53.536283052414966&sw_lng=9.957163171071215&ne_lat=53.56066800581463&ne_lng=10.000593499440356&ss_id=99sclf3b

Just an idea. If you choose to go for a hotel, the best bits are around the hafencity, Altstadt, St Georg. There are lots of other good bits as well, though and obviously the centre will be pricier than further out, or some of the less upmarket bits (St Pauli for example).

As with most things, the earlier you book the more choice you'll have. As for tickets, from memory you can book them a good few months in advance, but the way Hamburg are just now it's not hard to get tickets for many of the games. We went to see them get pumped v Augsburg, and I would say there were a good 5 thousand empty seats.

We sat in area 2C from memory, at the front of that section alongside the pitch rather than behind the goal. Quite near the standing section behind the goal, so it was good for atmosphere.

Thank you very, very much. Didn't expect a reply so in depth.

Thank you very, very much. Didn't expect a reply so in depth.

No worries, mate. Any queries let me know. Might not be able to answer them because I can only go by my time there, but I'll give it a punt.

You'll love it however you choose to do it. Fantastic city quite apart from the football. If you're into city breaks, you'd do worse than to spend a good few days doing some touristy stuff and wandering about.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you do!