Mark Mcgee on SSN

Speuan

anyone just see theat interview with MM after SSN broke the new that the SFA have selected their candidate, but did not name him. And when they spoke to MM he start saying that George Burley would have his support. Sound like he dropped the ball tere reckon he already knew it was gonna be burley!

anyone just see theat interview with MM after SSN broke the new that the SFA have selected their candidate, but did not name him. And when they spoke to MM he start saying that George Burley would have his support. Sound like he dropped the ball tere reckon he already knew it was gonna be burley!

George Burley would be my first choice.

listened to the Mark McGhee interview on the bbc website, sounds like he heard from Sky Sports news it was George Burley before the SFA told him, he was very gracious, wishing Burley well, but came out with a belter of a line at the end .... "Its a difficult job for Burley with high expectations and i still have time. If George Burley doesnt win the world cup, then it leaves it open for me to the man that does."

Quality!

Im glad Mark McGhee didnt get it, i like him and would like to see how he finishes the season with Motherwell now....

Its looking like Burley according to this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7203463.stm

Burley to be offered Scotland job

Burley has been struggling with finances at Southampton

Southampton's George Burley will be offered the Scotland manager's job on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

A Scottish Football Association spokesman would only confirm that its interview panel had decided on a preferred candidate.

And its board will be asked to ratify the decision on Wednesday.

The 51-year-old Burley became the odds-on favourite with bookmakers on Tuesday as news began to emerge that he was the preferred candidate.

Interview: Motherwell manager Mark McGhee

Interview: Scotland keeper Craig Gordon

Yet Burley had long been considered the outsider of the four men on the SFA's shortlist, which included Tommy Burns, Mark McGhee and Graeme Souness.

Burley was interviewed last week, along with former Liverpool and Rangers manager Souness and Motherwell boss McGhee, after Southampton reluctantly agreed to the SFA's request to speak to their manager.

If George does not win the World Cup then it opens it up for me to be one who does

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee

It had looked like Burns had ruled himself out after he indicated his reluctance to be interviewed for the post, but it was believed that the Celtic coach had sufficient contact to be still in the frame.

McGhee was disappointed to learn about Burley's likely appointment through the media but was philosophical about the decision.

"All I can say is congratulations to George," he told BBC Radio Scotland ahead of Motherwell's SPL match against Hearts on Wednesday night.

"I think he will be a terrific Scotland manager and I will do all I can to help him.

"I remain very proud to have been considered and if George does not win the World Cup then it opens it up for me to be one who does!"

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin is confident Burley's appointment is a step forward for Scottish football.

GEORGE BURLEY FACTFILE

1956: Burley born in Cumnock, Ayrshire

1973: Makes debut for Ipswich Town

1979: Wins first of 11 Scotland caps

1991: Becomes player/manager at Ayr Utd

1994: Becomes manager at Ipswich, winning promotion to Premiership

2001: Leads Ipswich into Uefa Cup

2005:Appointed manager of Hearts by new owner Vladimir Romanov, Burley left after four months

2005: Takes over at Southampton

"Everyone in England knows what he has done - he has done a great job everywhere he has been," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He is the only man who has recently come close to breaking the Old Firm stronghold with Hearts.

"If he had been given more time he would have taken Celtic and Rangers to the wire."

Meanwhile, Burley took his side's training as normal on Tuesday.

And the English Championship club maintained that they have heard nothing to suggest their manager is on his way north of the border.

Chairman Leon Crouch told the BBC that there will be no comment from the club until they hear from the SFA or Burley himself.

Burley has remained guarded about his intentions, stressing he is happy in his role on the south coast.

"It is a great honour that Scotland asked to speak to me," he said after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Plymouth.

606: DEBATE

Is George Burley the right man to lead Scotland?

"There is a lot to consider. I am very happy at Southampton.

"But if your country asks to speak to you then it is only right to do so."

Saints are struggling to mount a promotion push for the third straight year, while the club still lack the investment required to make a mark on the transfer market.

The former Ipswich, Derby and Hearts manager has been forced to sell stars such as Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Kenwyne Jones and Chris Baird since he took over from Harry Redknapp in December 2005.

And it appears he has found the pull of the Scotland job too strong to turn down.

SFA president George Peat has confirmed a meeting will be held on Tuesday to discuss the candidates.

The new manager's first game will be the 26 March friendly against Croatia at Hampden Park.