Setanta dead at last

Setanta Sports is refusing to say whether it has defaulted on a multi-million pound payment it was due to make on Monday to the SPL.

The payment was due under the broadcaster's current deal with the league.

A spokesman for the Irish-based broadcaster said: "At the moment we have got no comment to make on the situation."

That was echoed by the SPL.

A league spokesman told STV news: "There's not really much we can say at the moment. We are aware that rumours are circulating but we are not in a position to confirm or deny any of the details. Our arrangements with Setanta are commerically confidental."

Asked about the state of the SPL's current relationship with Setanta, the spokesman said: "We have worked very closely with Setanta in the past and we will continue to do so over the coming weeks."

Setanta and the SPL have been in talks over reducing their next, four-year deal which was to see the company paying £125million to broadcast live matches from 2010.

The SPL spokesman would not comment on the size of the payment due on Monday. One source said it was in the region of £2million and £3million.

The chairman of one SPL club told STV: "I'm not surprised. We all know Setanta have got a lot of issues to address.

"If something did happen to Setanta, Scottish football would have a major financial problem.

"Quite a lot of clubs would have major financial issues to address. Budgets could be cut right back. Ultimately players' wages could be cut."

It is understood there was a staff meeting at Setanta in London on Monday. Employees have been told not to make any comment to the media.

This would cause serious problems for 90% of the SPL who will be relying on this payment...trouble ahead methinks.....

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If setanta do go to wall, it wouldn't be 90% of the teams in trouble it would all the teams in trouble. Sky would have zero competition from ITV/BBC and would come in with a ridiculous low offer to broadcast games which we would have to accept.

Sky wont touch us or the beggars and thats all down to roger mitchell! if setanta goes under then we can forget about signing anycunt this year! or the next 5? as much as they are shite at broadcasting they did pay us money!

A slight deflection away, but if you are planning on cancelling setanta over the close season (or altogether), then phone them up now. I just phoned up to cancel, and, the guy has just given me a 12 month contract (I can cancel whenever I want, and, only have to pay the 30 month cancelation period payment) for £6.99 a month. I was paying, and, have been for a long time, £6.50, but a lot of people are paying £12.99?

The 12 month contract, is a new thing which means if the price plan goes up at anytime, it wont affect me, and, if I decide to cancel, it will only cost me £6.99.

Oh and I can asure you that setanta are in big trouble as they asked sky for a cash advancement of 50 million on friday in return sky would offer setanta to their customers as part of their sports package, sky told setanta where to go as they will now watch them flush down the plan and get all the shit they want that setanta is currently showing? ie IPL! Bundesliga! PGA tour! but not the SPL!

A slight deflection away, but if you are planning on cancelling setanta over the close season (or altogether), then phone them up now. I just phoned up to cancel, and, the guy has just given me a 12 month contract (I can cancel whenever I want, and, only have to pay the 30 month cancelation period payment) for £6.99 a month. I was paying, and, have been for a long time, £6.50, but a lot of people are paying £12.99?

The 12 month contract, is a new thing which means if the price plan goes up at anytime, it wont affect me, and, if I decide to cancel, it will only cost me £6.99.

I wouldnt even pay them another penny, they will be bust in a months time!

Got it for the remaining games of last season and cancelled at the end of the season worst television coverage of football i have ever seen utter pish channel they arent getting money out of me for coverage worse than the online stuff

i gave up my setanta subscription last November, really due to piss poor service and coverage of spl games (td)

Its all their own fault chasing massive contracts which they couldn't sustain like the shitey IPL :anguish: and the premiership. They bit off more than they could chew.

They spent about £100m on fucking PGA golf rights. There was clearly massive venture capital behind them in the first place, but it's all drying up now. I reckon there's going to be seriously hard times for them ahead.

Found this:

Scotland’s Premier League clubs will lose an estimated £20million in revenue over four years due to a renegotiated deal with satellite broadcaster Setanta.

The folly of nine top-flight clubs who ignored what proved to be prudent advice from Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen not to sign with Setanta has ultimately resulted in all 12 clubs suffering due to the broadcaster’s need to renegotiate.

With the deal due to begin in August 2010, the SPL clubs met the broadcaster’s representatives in a meeting at Hampden yesterday.

Setanta’s current deal to show SPL matches ends next season.

A year ago, it agreed to pay £125million over four seasons for exclusive live coverage from 2010.

An identical offer from Sky was also on the table, but Sky’s payment installments were structured differently from Setanta’s, the latter offering more money in the first two years.

The Old Firm, along with Aberdeen, wanted clubs to take a longer-term outlook and fears were raised that Setanta might struggle to fulfil its obligations. The Dons and the Old Firm also urged their fellow SPL member clubs to consider Sky's presentation – which would have brought the Scottish game to a wider audience.

However, the majority of SPL clubs opted to go for the Setanta offer and the vote was cast 9-3.

Now the scenario feared by Aberdeen and the Old Firm has come to pass, with Setanta looking for a substantial reduction in input in a new financial climate.

The SPL has no alternative but to accept the reduced terms as it faces the possibility of having no matches shown beyond next season due to the uncertain future of Setanta.

We had the same exact offer from sky which Rangers ,Celtic, Aberdeen all wanted to take - but we got out voted by the rest of the league to sign with setanta :anguish: x Billion

Eurgh. That's just so fucking short sighted. Apart from anything else the exposure you get with Sky is far greater. Plus it's more convenient and better quality for customers. Cunts!

Found this:

Scotland’s Premier League clubs will lose an estimated £20million in revenue over four years due to a renegotiated deal with satellite broadcaster Setanta.

The folly of nine top-flight clubs who ignored what proved to be prudent advice from Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen not to sign with Setanta has ultimately resulted in all 12 clubs suffering due to the broadcaster’s need to renegotiate.

With the deal due to begin in August 2010, the SPL clubs met the broadcaster’s representatives in a meeting at Hampden yesterday.

Setanta’s current deal to show SPL matches ends next season.

A year ago, it agreed to pay £125million over four seasons for exclusive live coverage from 2010.

An identical offer from Sky was also on the table, but Sky’s payment installments were structured differently from Setanta’s, the latter offering more money in the first two years.

The Old Firm, along with Aberdeen, wanted clubs to take a longer-term outlook and fears were raised that Setanta might struggle to fulfil its obligations. The Dons and the Old Firm also urged their fellow SPL member clubs to consider Sky's presentation – which would have brought the Scottish game to a wider audience.

However, the majority of SPL clubs opted to go for the Setanta offer and the vote was cast 9-3.

Now the scenario feared by Aberdeen and the Old Firm has come to pass, with Setanta looking for a substantial reduction in input in a new financial climate.

The SPL has no alternative but to accept the reduced terms as it faces the possibility of having no matches shown beyond next season due to the uncertain future of Setanta.

We had the same exact offer from sky which Rangers ,Celtic, Aberdeen all wanted to take - but we got out voted by the rest of the league to sign with setanta :anguish: x Billion

The the three clubs that wanted to have sky shouldn't lose any money we did fucking warn them

this is the other clubs faults that wanted to stay with setanta, instead of moving to sky. So because of them we could see the end of scottish football very shortly, fuck sake like

:wanker:

It was done out of defiance of the o/f!

I think the time is now to go crawling back to sky! we need to make sure there is no period of tv black out or we r fucked????????????????????????

Sky wont touch us or the beggars and thats all down to roger mitchell! if setanta goes under then we can forget about signing anycunt this year! or the next 5? as much as they are shite at broadcasting they did pay us money!

Funny that. Sky wanted the SPL. 3 out of the 12 clubs voted for Sky. They were Rangers, Celtic and Dundee Utd. The rest voted for Setanta for a little more money.

Irish satanta ''businessmen'' last seen headin for the airport with large suitcases, s spokesman said football is the last thing on their minds ! :sherlock:

PS - Would you pay they wallopers at the spl if you could get away with it ?