***The official Rangers vs Arsenal match thread**

MisterC

After his great start to pre-season, I was quite sad to see Naismith playing as deep at Papac for long periods of that 2nd half :(

The whole team were playing deep. It was the old camp in our own half & hit on the break tactic & almost payed off once or twice tbh. I thought we only pressed them enough on the ball for a short period though & most of the game just gave them acres of space in comparison to what they were giving us. Good game though & good experience for Naisy.

(tu)

I agree.

I said this at the start of this thread as well.

We NEED to close teams down high up the park. We don't seem interested in closing down anyone until they're 40 yards from our goal.

Too true, pg. Even when we get back around our goal, the effort at closing down seems very lackadaisical at best.

It's been one of my criticisms of the side since Smith got back.

We allow teams to play football in front of us.

Probably my biggest beef as well. Some of the goals we leak are embarrassing, and wouldn't occur if a concerned effort to close the opponent down was made. Too often it almost looks like they're expecting someone else to step in and do it. Drives me radio rental when I see it.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After his great start to pre-season, I was quite sad to see Naismith playing as deep at Papac for long periods of that 2nd half :(

The whole team were playing deep. It was the old camp in our own half & hit on the break tactic & almost payed off once or twice tbh. I thought we only pressed them enough on the ball for a short period though & most of the game just gave them acres of space in comparison to what they were giving us. Good game though & good experience for Naisy.

(tu)

I agree.

I said this at the start of this thread as well.

We NEED to close teams down high up the park. We don't seem interested in closing down anyone until they're 40 yards from our goal.

Too true, pg. Even when we get back around our goal, the effort at closing down seems very lackadaisical at best.

Yep & we don't look solid enough at the back to get away with playing that way.

Another thing I notice was how little pace there is in our team.

I'll post it in hear in case Boab gets his boxers in a twist.

We shouldn't be slow, but we often look it.

Maybe it's just pre-season catching up with us, but who knows.

Novo, Naismith, Miller, Davis, Bougherra, DMB.....

We should certainly be faster than we look.

Another thing I notice was how little pace there is in our team.

I'll post it in hear in case Boab gets his boxers in a twist.

We shouldn't be slow, but we often look it.

Maybe it's just pre-season catching up with us, but who knows.

Novo, Naismith, Miller, Davis, Bougherra, DMB.....

We should certainly be faster than we look.

Maybe it was watching Arsenal, but I have to say we looked slow.

leave papac alone! :pipe:

its mcgregor to blame, first goal you can stretch mate. second goal didnt come out kick enough. a player like eduardo who has had horrible injuries would duck out of the challenge.

but credit when its due, arsenal are probably the top footballing side in the world :pipe:

No it's folk like you that bug me hero-worshipping players take the blue specs off!

Papac canny stop crosses coming into the box and will be found out in Europe as will Weir, McCulloch, ect.

once edu is back, mcculloch wont feature.

davie weir is a good player. first few yards are in your head.

im not exactly hero worshipping papac. could mcgregor have done better with the first 2 goals yes or no?

I never said anything about McGregor and yes he could have done better, but my point was about Papac.

Who's top did he have on?

A. Little

Yeah, i thought that was it. Cheers mate.

6rm3wx.jpg

:lol:

For a second when i saw him up there with the Arsenal team a thought it was Edu :ph34r:

Nice to see um exchanging shirts anyways :)

Really? I genuinely thought it was Kanye West.

Who's top did he have on?

A. Little

Yeah, i thought that was it. Cheers mate.

6rm3wx.jpg

:lol:

For a second when i saw him up there with the Arsenal team a thought it was Edu :ph34r:

Nice to see um exchanging shirts anyways :)

Really? I genuinely thought it was Kanye West.

They all look the same to me... :unsure:

Although I hate getting beat, yesterday was an eye opener and it highlights some frailties we've got against the top teams. You learn more in defeat and yesterday was a perfect example.

Before we got too cocky, getting our arse handed to us wakens the team up. Players like Bougherra, McGregor, Weir, Whittaker and Papac who are normally comfortable were shown up. They'll look at themselves,, improve and move on, thankfully we don't play Arsenal every week and have to contend with St Mirren.

I would rather these faults were shown up in a meaningless preseason freindly than a league or CL game!

A good reason for getting hammered yesterday was the over confidence aspect. Had a good pre season, like the tims did, and look how that's played out since. Three great pre season results, all of a sudden they're labeled as Wembley Wizards, then they get papped out the CL.