Jerome Rothen signs for Rangers

BLUEDIGNITY

Rangers have completed the signing of left winger Jerome Rothen from Paris St Germain on a one-year loan deal.

The 31-year-old, who was in the France squads for Euro 2004 and Euro 2008, is the Ibrox club's only new arrival after a summer clear-out.

"Obviously, I'm delighted to be here. I already knew quite a lot about Rangers before I arrived," said Rothen.

"I really, really want to play here. I can't wait to experience the atmosphere in the stadium."

Rothen spent three seasons with Monaco before switching to PSG in 2004 but has fallen out of the first team picture with the Ligue 1 co-leaders.

A move to Schalke in Germany collapsed last week, leaving Rothen looking for a new challenge.

The player also revealed he turned down an offer from English Premier League club Blackburn Rovers.

"They don't really have the same ambitions as a club," he said of the Lancashire club.

"Here, I have the chance to win titles.

"Rangers are a big club. I wanted to come somewhere where there was a chance to win the league.

"Obviously, the Champions League is a big draw for me. It's the competition that has created the most memories for me as a player."

Ibrox manager Walter Smith has been busy pruning his squad, offloading several fringe players in the last two months.

Smith's one new face was the star man on Monaco's run to the 2004 Champions League draw but failed to recapture that sparkling form on his move to the French capital.

Rothen featured in the PSG side beaten 1-0 by Rangers in the pre-season Emirates Cup in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ers/8231183.stm

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

some1 said this a few weeks ago, they also said psg would let him go for free

but the paper said an english team was looking at him n would have 2 pay 1.5m, so i doubt we'd bother if we had 2 pay 4 him

+ dont need a left winger just now anyway, our midfield n forwards r more than good enough 2 win the league again and do well in europe, defence is where any money should go 2

Kyle Lafferty is 50 times the player.

Im kidding. Rothen is a cracking player. I remember him in the Monaco champions league run, Guilly. Rothen and Prso the star men.

But just don't think we can afford him which sucks. He would be handy in the CL but the SPL is shite, and guys like stevie smith etc can do a good job.

some1 said this a few weeks ago, they also said psg would let him go for free

but the paper said an english team was looking at him n would have 2 pay 1.5m, so i doubt we'd bother if we had 2 pay 4 him

+ dont need a left winger just now anyway, our midfield n forwards r more than good enough 2 win the league again and do well in europe, defence is where any money should go 2

Aye Blackburn were said to be in for him

Lads it's TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe we're signing someone!!

My mates Dad owns Parks and he called me an hour ago but wasn't near a comp. I'm always reliable and posted that Edu and Aaron were going to sign a day before they did.

Lads it's TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe we're signing someone!!

My mates Dad owns Parks and he called me an hour ago but wasn't near a comp. I'm always reliable and posted that Edu and Aaron were going to sign a day before they did.

You seem positive about this mate, you do realise if this is un-true you'll end up gettin slaughtered