Henrik Larsson

Ryan_1

Larsson bids emotional farewell

Henrik Larsson

Larsson found it hard to keep his emotions in check

Striker Henrik Larsson fought back the tears as he said farewell to football and admitted his decision to retire had left an "emptiness".

The Swede took to the pitch for the last time in Helsingborg's 2-0 Swedish League loss to Djurgarden on Wednesday.

He was given a standing ovation from the crowd.

The 38-year-old scored over 300 goals during spells with Helsingborg, Feyenoord, Celtic, Barcelona and Manchester United.

Tributes from the likes of Sweden coach Lars Lagerback, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and international team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic were played at the ground.

"It really hits you when meet all this love," said Larsson, who will not play in Helsingborg's final match of the domestic season at Elfsborg on Sunday.

"I'm normally quite a cool character but right now I feel like I could cry.

"It's huge to be able to end it on our home ground and it has to end some time. It's rubbish to end things this way (with a defeat) but you can't have everything in life."

Larsson, who won 106 caps for Sweden, was also moved by Helsingborg's decision to retire the number 17 shirt in his honour.

606: DEBATE

Have your say on Larsson's career

"It's a fantastic gesture by the club, to retire it for ever. I'm very moved," he said.

Larsson will now take time out to think over how best to fill the void left by his retirement, although he has already been linked with several coaching jobs, including at Celtic.

"I don't know if I have to go down to the employment agency and do certain things, but I have the luck and luxury to be able to say no to jobs which are offered to me," he added.

"But obviously there is an emptiness at present, and I need to fill that emptiness with something.

"I'm fortunate enough to have earned enough money to be able to sit back and not panic, but I have to do something. I can't just glide through the rest of life."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8332552.stm

Yes, he played for Celtic and caused us some many heartaches, but you've got to say what a player! He is the only Celtic player, that hasn't any ties to us, that has my total respect. The biggest compliment I could give him is that when Barcelona won the Champions League in 2006, although he didn't score he won the trophy for Barcelona IMO.

Good luck in your retirement. (tu)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to get fucking nightmares about the guy, there hasn't been another Celtic player in my lifetime i can say that about.

An amazingly talented player, such a shame he decided to waste so many of his years playing for that lot.

If only he signed for us like on my Fifa 2001 game, over 100 goals in one season. (tu)

What a partnership Larsson and Mols would have been! :crywank:

Was a great player in his time and as someone else has said was the only Celtic player ever to really inspire dread in me. I remember being told a story once that when he broke his leg that he ended up in the wrong end at Ibrox during an Old Firm game and instead of getting pelters all the Gers fans shook his hand and wished him a speedy recovery. Don't know if that's true though.

Was a great player in his time and as someone else has said was the only Celtic player ever to really inspire dread in me. I remember being told a story once that when he broke his leg that he ended up in the wrong end at Ibrox during an Old Firm game and instead of getting pelters all the Gers fans shook his hand and wished him a speedy recovery. Don't know if that's true though.

:praise: to the fans.

It`s similar to Stilyan Petrovs injury if true. When he broke his leg in a interview in Bulgaria he said he was amazed that he received a message from Rangers FC, in which the capitan Lorenzo Amoruso wished him to recover quick and get back to the pitch soon.

I thought the whole Henrik-mhank thing was hilarious. They always have to get so fucking emotional about everything.

I remember being in the pub when they showed a tribute to him after he'd played his last game for them, They were all wailing and greetin as if he was deid!

They just love to feel personally affected by stuff like that, it was like a competition to see who loved him most.

He’ll be back at the beggerdome one day and I’ll return to hating him. At least now the papers won’t waste ink on printing about him returning to the club to save them from their current awful strikeforce.

The biggest complaint I could give him is that when Barcelona won the Champions League in 2006, although he didn't score he won the trophy for Barcelona IMO.

Wtf does that mean?

Means when he came on, he totally changed the game in Barca's favour, with two assists and was involved in most of Barcelona's good play in the time he came on.

P.S. Just noticed I wrote 'complaint' and not 'compliment'. :lol: