Golf

kplfishtank

29 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

That the Groupon deal? 

I bought it about 5 years ago it's actually really good it was the EK shop that a done it in it had all the gear. 

Aye it is mate. I bought two 1 hour lessons for £24 and called them as their website was playing up when I tried to book. They're closed for lessons just now but asked me not to buy anymore and just say to the pro the price I payed on the first lesson and he'll honour it for booking lessons direct with them because they make fuck all from gorupon. It should have been £30 for the two via group on so £15 an hour lesson is really good. Will probably try to book 10 or 12 lessons and go every second week or something. 

Did they help you aye?

15 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

Aye it is mate. I bought two 1 hour lessons for £24 and called them as their website was playing up when I tried to book. They're closed for lessons just now but asked me not to buy anymore and just say to the pro the price I payed on the first lesson and he'll honour it for booking lessons direct with them because they make fuck all from gorupon. It should have been £30 for the two via group on so £15 an hour lesson is really good. Will probably try to book 10 or 12 lessons and go every second week or something. 

Did they help you aye?

Lessons are great but it’s taking/having the time to practice what you’re taught is key to improving. 

19 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Lessons are great but it’s taking/having the time to practice what you’re taught is key to improving. 

I'm playing about twice a week just now but that will diminish over winter when there is less light so I can't play early mornings and don't have much free time in the evenings due to the kids. I'm hoping to get to the range more over winter just to keep my hand in but I'm probably at the busiest stage of my life right now.

33 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

Did they help you aye?

Gave me a really good insight of the golf swing at the time left and was more clued up and gave us some things to work on. Aye thought they did help he had all the gear launch monitor, videos you and compares you to a tour pro to give you ideas. 

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

I'm playing about twice a week just now but that will diminish over winter when there is less light so I can't play early mornings and don't have much free time in the evenings due to the kids. I'm hoping to get to the range more over winter just to keep my hand in but I'm probably at the busiest stage of my life right now.

I’ve seen my handicap go from 8 to 13 so probably not the best guy to give advice but I’m a great advocate of just taking a wedge and a 7 iron to the range.

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

I’ve seen my handicap go from 8 to 13 so probably not the best guy to give advice but I’m a great advocate of just taking a wedge and a 7 iron to the range.

I was planning on going to the range tomorrow morning and take a wedge, 7 iron, 4 iron and driver, hitting 25 balls with each and just focus on my swing.

On 14/07/2020 at 23:14, RFC RYAN said:

You have 10 putts from 6ft how many are you expecting to get in the hole? 

There is a reason for this question that I will post. Before I heard the reason I said 7-8 out of 10 from 6ft.

I would love to find the article relating to an experiment - it was in a magazine I read in a hospital waiting room about 15yrs ago.

Basically it was an experiment to determine at what distance does putting skill and luck cross over. It was conducted with a mechanical device replicating identical putts and measuring ball spread over various distances, green speeds, weather, etc.

It determined that after approximately 12' on a typical PGA green, the natural microvariations of grass, wind, ball, club, etc - seen a deviation from the "perfect" putting line that means fewer than 50% of perfect putts would drop. 

I'm sure the term "perfect", was based on the statistical average line, thus the line a putt would average the middle of the hole.

9 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

DeChambeau is a big mad bastard! He just hit his tee shot 423 yards into a 473 yard par 4! His short game is still not quite there but his new style is certainly interesting! His carry is fucking ridiculous.

image.thumb.png.de0ec839973256b0585c52a9d825c3f6.png

image.png

He is some size now from a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder if he’s on the steroids. Some of his drives today were outrageous. 

16 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

He is some size now from a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder if he’s on the steroids. Some of his drives today were outrageous. 

I think he's just eating and working out loads. He still looks a little chubby.

I kinda like the fact that's he's doing and thinking of every possible thing that can potentially improve his game. He's certainly went all in! I can see some other players maybe doing the same.

His short game was really off though although it's a tough course and tough conditions. If he sorts out his short game he could become unbeatable!

On 10/07/2020 at 00:43, hammer93 said:

County golf, trust me they blow everyone out when it comes to price 

Their are always deals on, 30%-50% off list price 

Watch the sizing. some of the size guides are out by about 2" at times.

On 13/07/2020 at 17:45, northern bear said:

I'm really wanting to get back into it as used to be quite handy back in the day but having 2 young'ish kids has put it on the back burner and probably a bit late now given we are well into july. What is putting me off is the initial outlay. I still have my clubs but reckon I'd need a new set of irons and a driver. 

Stick with your old driver, you won't see much gains with a new one unless its ancient or you don't have any confidence with it :D I bought 2 new drivers and an extra shaft during lock down. Couldn't get on with either (Titleist 917 D3, i developed a massive fade borderline slice and Taylormade R15 only gave me an extra 5 yards but not consistently) 

As for irons (again lock down purchase) i picked up a set of Titleist 710 CB for £100 of off eBay, looked as thought hey had only been used a dozen times or so. Missed the 20% vouchers that were floating around at the time, theres 2 golf club sellers that get included in these vouchers (clubhousegolf and affordable golf IIRC) I was coming from a set of Wilson Di11s with huge cavities but have always been able to strike the ball cleanly, i just don't take deep divots.

Been to the range a few times this week and what a difference it makes just focusing on your swing and not worrying about a score. Hitting long, straight drives much more consistently than I ever have been and it's the same with my irons. Im taking a PW too to shoot for the greens on the range and I'm getting much more consistent in throwing the ball into the air rather than thinning it. I've been focusing on a tip I seen McIlroy give which is just focus on keeping your club face parallel to the ball for the first half of your back swing and its made the world of difference.