Golf

kplfishtank

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Ok, correct me if I’m wrong. You hit the 5 iron 164.4 yds? 

Aye but that was a big improvement to what a was doing originally he had me a total different feel to anything I have had before. Think I need to get in the gym tbh. 

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

Ok, I thought that was possibly an average over 10 shots👍

Nah if you zoom in you can see I duffed a few felt weird what he was getting me to do but I need to stick at it, my ball striking wasnt that good but he said we will work on that next time I tend to take a lot clean. 

I know new clubs aren't a cert to go further but I think the would in my case as I basically got told 6 months after I got my clubs they werent the right shafts. Will be looking at new clubs next year. 

6 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Nah if you zoom in you can see I duffed a few felt weird what he was getting me to do but I need to stick at it, my ball striking wasnt that good but he said we will work on that next time I tend to take a lot clean. 

I know new clubs aren't a cert to go further but I think the would in my case as I basically got told 6 months after I got my clubs they werent the right shafts. Will be looking at new clubs next year. 

Was just checking mate. Anything in the 200 yd range I use my 5 iron. Use it off the tee sometimes when the bitch driver isn’t working for me as well. 😀

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Was just checking mate. Anything in the 200 yd range I use my 5 iron. Use it off the tee sometimes when the bitch driver isn’t working for me as well. 😀

Aye your a natural, what you playing off mate also any idea of your swingspeed? 

I was playing a par 3 in the medal on Saturday and it measured 162 on my rangefinder and I hit a 6 iron and it was 15ft from the pin, pin high that's where it finished it wasnt down wind or anything. 

3 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

I was playing a par 3 in the medal on Saturday and it measured 162 on my rangefinder and I hit a 6 iron and it was 15ft from the pin, pin high that's where it finished it wasnt down wind or anything. 

No idea mate what swingspeed or stuff like that. I’ve broken 80 once. No lessons or discipline. Just a hacker. Should’ve taken the game up as a kid, but it was always fitba back then. I’m 64 now, but love golf. Only took it up in 2002. Have played some cracking courses though here in Canada and the US. Favourite course is Shadow Mountain in British Columbia. Some scenery and bears as well. 

On 24/09/2020 at 17:12, Hadron Collider said:

You sound a good player. 

I was at the range last week before the US open and I was concentrating on making solid contact with my pitching wedge then moving up the irons. A full hit decent contact pitching wedge for me is around the 100 - 110 yards.

Watched the US Open and those guys were hitting pitching wedges into 170 yard par 3's. Its a different ball game these days. The pros are more like honed athletes.. Hammering drives well over 330 yards when in the mood.

Love watching it though.

On 24/09/2020 at 17:19, RFC RYAN said:

Aye 162 is reasonable for a 6 iron and probably more accurate than the figures above for a 5 iron. Hadron hitting 200 with a 5 is a dream. I'm 200> with a 4 iron and I'm off 12 and rising.

Ryan, I thought you were single figures?

Recovering from a broken shoulder and my (right) collar bone and the doc says my healed collar bone is now 1" shorter so went walked round with the lads the other day and said "if I find any balls I'll hit them". Well fuck me every shot went off the toe  (6 shots). Serious change in my geometry and will need to work on the range until spring-time. I'm right handed. Seriously fucked off as my game was coming on superb pre-covid.

3 hours ago, geneva_ger said:

Aye 162 is reasonable for a 6 iron and probably more accurate than the figures above for a 5 iron. Hadron hitting 200 with a 5 is a dream. I'm 200> with a 4 iron and I'm off 12 and rising.

Sitting on 9.5 the now went to 9.9 and got cut.4 last weekend. That cut last weekend is my first cut in over a year, and only a couple of buffers. 

Lost a lot of speed/became less active the last few years just trying to think of ways to get it built up again last time I was on a launch monitor wasn't trackman I was reading low 90s for swing speed that was 7 years ago cause it was 6 months after I got my irons guy basically told me the person that fitted me didn't give me the right shafts, still got the same irons the now. Plan to get a new set for next season but want to get some level of fitness/strength before got my next lesson in 4 weeks. 

3 hours ago, geneva_ger said:

Edited that last post. 

My golf weekend for my brothers memorial tournament at Dalmahoy cancelled. Latest restrictions mean they are refusing parties of more than 6. Took some effort to at least get a course to take us for only 18 holes now  Mar Hall tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

My golf weekend for my brothers memorial tournament at Dalmahoy cancelled. Latest restrictions mean they are refusing parties of more than 6. Took some effort to at least get a course to take us for only 18 holes now  Mar Hall tomorrow. 

That's posh m8....I'm heading down to play the Ailsa today with another 8, it is an overnight stay in the lodges, they are basically telling us they can't police it so we are just getting on with it👍

13 hours ago, geneva_ger said:

It’s not how it’s how many. Played the Old Course Vilamoura and there’s a 300m par 4, guy in our group hit his drive through onto fringe at back, used his driver to putt and lipped out for eagle, tapped in for birdie. Next hole is 150m par 3, he choked down on driver hit it stiff and tapped in for a 2. So five shots all with driver 2 birdies. 

Completely ignore how far you hit any club compared with anyone else. All that matters is that you know how far you hit each of your clubs. Then you can choose the right club for the shot.

As for new irons will go further. All bullshit PR there are "new" lofts and "traditional" lofts. My Titleist 710 CB 7 iron is 35° loft and it goes 155 yards. If I were to hit the AP1 variant I would hit it a further 10-15 yards as it is 30° loft. I tried a newer Titleist 917 D2 and it only went an extra 10 yards compared with my old Taylormade R540XD. 

On 26/09/2020 at 22:23, mclovin9091 said:

Completely ignore how far you hit any club compared with anyone else. All that matters is that you know how far you hit each of your clubs. Then you can choose the right club for the shot.

As for new irons will go further. All bullshit PR there are "new" lofts and "traditional" lofts. My Titleist 710 CB 7 iron is 35° loft and it goes 155 yards. If I were to hit the AP1 variant I would hit it a further 10-15 yards as it is 30° loft. I tried a newer Titleist 917 D2 and it only went an extra 10 yards compared with my old Taylormade R540XD. 

Very true this.  

I now use Taylormade irons (after many many years with Titleist 690's) and couldn't work out why there was such a difference between my PW and 52 wedge.  Turns out the PW is 43.5 :huh:

Have now bought an AW wedge to bridge the gap. 

1 hour ago, Professor_Chang said:

Looking to get customer fittings for the new season.  pretty much full set up.  anyone able to advise how much extra roughlyit is

How much extra in relation to what? Do you have a specific manufacturer in mind? 

Looking for a bit of advice. 

Started playing golf since lockdown and really got the bug, bought a cheap set of clubs off eBay. Been having lessons and been told by the coach that they’re too small, and to be honest I can feel I’m crouching over a lot and topping the ball with a lot of my shots with my irons. I’ve been looking for a second hand set that fit me better but being left handed and looking for a specific size I’m finding it impossible to find what I need.

Should I just buy some new decent ones that will be expensive but hopefully improve my issues, or for my ability (im terrible atm) am I better off waiting and using my current clubs/ keep looking for cheaper second hand ones until I’m better and can get the most out of them for the outlay?

3 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Looking for a bit of advice. 

Started playing golf since lockdown and really got the bug, bought a cheap set of clubs off eBay. Been having lessons and been told by the coach that they’re too small, and to be honest I can feel I’m crouching over a lot and topping the ball with a lot of my shots with my irons. I’ve been looking for a second hand set that fit me better but being left handed and looking for a specific size I’m finding it impossible to find what I need.

Should I just buy some new decent ones that will be expensive but hopefully improve my issues, or for my ability (im terrible atm) am I better off waiting and using my current clubs/ keep looking for cheaper second hand ones until I’m better and can get the most out of them for the outlay?

Keep your head down and look at the ball mate. You could be coming up to see the shot before you’ve hit it. Just stay focused on hitting it. You can look after the ball is gone.