Golf

kplfishtank

Not swung a golf club since I was about 8 probably but getting into it this summer. 

Heading down to a local driving range to fanny about with a mate at the weekend. Any tips for an absolute beginner? I've read a few online about the basics of a swing etc., but any of you guys got anything I should take into consideration? 

Also anyone recommend a smaller/municipal courses in the Ayrshire area? Heard Routenburn is a must. Cheers.

38 minutes ago, ready1873 said:

Not swung a golf club since I was about 8 probably but getting into it this summer. 

Heading down to a local driving range to fanny about with a mate at the weekend. Any tips for an absolute beginner? I've read a few online about the basics of a swing etc., but any of you guys got anything I should take into consideration? 

Also anyone recommend a smaller/municipal courses in the Ayrshire area? Heard Routenburn is a must. Cheers.

You will enjoy it mate, playing is like watching Rangers you end up pissed off half the time

44 minutes ago, ready1873 said:

lessons. Gives you something to work with.

1 hour ago, ready1873 said:

As the others have said lessons.

Id also suggest spending time chipping and putting. Most important part of the game. 

35 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

As the others have said lessons.

Id also suggest spending time chipping and putting. Most important part of the game. 

Reckon it's better to prioritise my short game (chipping, putting, wedge play etc) over what I'm doing off the tee? I know most people start banging it at the driving range from the off. 

I mind a coach at Inverclyde told me was I was young he could tell I had a natural feel around the greens but I had zero interest in it as a sport at the time. Who knows, maybe if I had stuck in I could be teeing off with John Rahm in the Spanish Open the day ?

1 minute ago, ready1873 said:

Reckon it's better to prioritise my short game (chipping, putting, wedge play etc) over what I'm doing off the tee? I know most people start banging it at the driving range from the off. 

I mind a coach at Inverclyde told me was I was young he could tell I had a natural feel around the greens but I had zero interest in it as a sport at the time. Who knows, maybe if I had stuck in I could be teeing off with John Rahm in the Spanish Open the day ?

100% 

short game rules over everything.

2 hours ago, ready1873 said:

Fullarton in troon would be ideal if you are starting out, it's not overly long so if you are learning how far you can hit the ball it won't crucify you like long par 4s & 5s on other courses.

On 12/04/2018 at 12:15, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Wee overnight at turnberry today. Some view from the room. Golfing tomorrow, drinking today. ??? ?️‍♂️⛳️  

293032A8-C88A-4FF3-99DF-278DA886C2C3.jpeg

Hope you weren’t drinking in Turnberry and it’s a fortune was at a wedding there last year. 

3 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Ha aye we were, Id say more in the rooms than the bar!!! 

I’m taking some visitors from Australia down to stay there in December, how dear is dear for a beer. Bearing in mind they pay about a tenner a beer anyway. 

1 minute ago, kplfishtank said:

I’m taking some visitors from Australia down to stay there in December, how dear is dear for a beer. Bearing in mind they pay about a tenner a beer anyway. 

I’m no a lager drinker mate, halfs only but a gin n ginger ale was £11, £8 for measure if tanquerry and £3 for the mixer. 

I’m sure on the drinks menu that pints were in th region of a tennar. 

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I’m no a lager drinker mate, halfs only but a gin n ginger ale was £11, £8 for measure if tanquerry and £3 for the mixer. 

I’m sure on the drinks menu that pints were in th region of a tennar. 

That’s no too bad. I will be taking them into Girvan for a while anyway as I had holiday home there . How was the course ? You play both or just the one course ? 

6 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

That’s no too bad. I will be taking them into Girvan for a while anyway as I had holiday home there . How was the course ? You play both or just the one course ? 

Only played the Kintyre this time mate. Love the Ailsa but didn’t get chance this time. 

I actually thought the food was more expensive than the drink. 

£12 for a prawn cocktail 

£7 for a plate of soup 

£18 for a burger 

They must be making a killing on it.

The rules of golf struck again this morning. 

1 The golfer who plays really well towards the start of the season shall play as if he has never seen clubs before as soon as the season starts. 

Shocking this morning, only hit two greens in regulation

46 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

The rules of golf struck again this morning. 

1 The golfer who plays really well towards the start of the season shall play as if he has never seen clubs before as soon as the season starts. 

Shocking this morning, only hit two greens in regulation

Feel your pain mate.

Off the tee I was poor, cost me 3 7s on the card that would ruin any score. 

The upside was that new irons were excellent and the wedges were zippy as hell. 4 times today from inside 100 yards, got up and down, just nice to have the confidence to fire at the pins. 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Feel your pain mate.

Off the tee I was poor, cost me 3 7s on the card that would ruin any score. 

The upside was that new irons were excellent and the wedges were zippy as hell. 4 times today from inside 100 yards, got up and down, just nice to have the confidence to fire at the pins. 

The new wedges look so cool mate, even better when you are deadly with them