Golf

kplfishtank

11 hours ago, ready1873 said:

Been really keen to start playing. Basically starting from scratch though.

What do you fellas recommend as the best starting point? Get down to the range and start working on a swing? Or get some lessons to give me a solid base? I mean I watch it every single weekend so I have a rough idea of the basics of a swing, but I get it's a very complicated practice.

Last time I played any golf was at Inverclyde when I was about 12....

Pro lessons gives you something to work on and an idea of what you should be doing with regards the mechanics of a swing. Then practice, practice, practice. Then more lessons. Then more practice. Then repeat.

Dont just take some lessons and then thinks its finished - I have lessons every year and have been playing since I was a lad and play off 5.9.

On 25 October 2016 at 1:19 PM, ready1873 said:

Yeh that's what I would have thought. A fella I worked with from Rutherglen has played for about 40 years and says he's still learning every time he goes out there for a round.

I'll definitely look into some pro lessons.

The driving range at golf world a think that's what it's called on great western road used to do a beginners class for free a think. I would go for that or get a block of lessons for a pro. Learn the good things and don't pick up bad habits. 

Anyone any ideas on what courses are best value for money for memberships ? 

My busy period for work is mostly during the summer so prefered choice would be a course that holds up well in winter. Considering the Ayrshire coast I have mates that are members at st Nicholas prestwick and its a great track but not sure if get benefit of £700 off annual fee (not completely writings it off as an option though ).

maybe the Troon municipal courses i.e.: darley, Fullerton are options as they too are kept fairly decent during winter. 

Also so does anyone know if clubs offer reduced fee for those that work mostly out the country for most part of the year ? 

7 hours ago, jackunion said:

Anyone any ideas on what courses are best value for money for memberships ? 

My busy period for work is mostly during the summer so prefered choice would be a course that holds up well in winter. Considering the Ayrshire coast I have mates that are members at st Nicholas prestwick and its a great track but not sure if get benefit of £700 off annual fee (not completely writings it off as an option though ).

maybe the Troon municipal courses i.e.: darley, Fullerton are options as they too are kept fairly decent during winter. 

Also so does anyone know if clubs offer reduced fee for those that work mostly out the country for most part of the year ? 

Contact clubs and tell them your predicament mate. Not playing in the summer is an advantage for you. 

Prestwick st Nicholas is cracking track , I take it your based in Ayrshire?  

Problem with the three Troon courses is lots from Glasgow play them in winter 

what about dundonald links ? 

4 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Contact clubs and tell them your predicament mate. Not playing in the summer is an advantage for you. 

Prestwick st Nicholas is cracking track , I take it your based in Ayrshire?  

Problem with the three Troon courses is lots from Glasgow play them in winter 

what about dundonald links ? 

No I'm in Glasgow south side but the Ayrshire courses hold up well in the winter so I'm drawn more towards them. 

Been playing the Troon courses a lot last winter/summer and tbf didn't have any major issues with it being busy. 

Ill check out dundonald ??

35 minutes ago, jackunion said:

No I'm in Glasgow south side but the Ayrshire courses hold up well in the winter so I'm drawn more towards them. 

Been playing the Troon courses a lot last winter/summer and tbf didn't have any major issues with it being busy. 

I'm at Haggs but like most city courses it can be poor in winter. 

Few of our guys play Ayrshire in winter and ours summer. They do awinter ticket for a three Troon courses 

Went for a game at Lanark today as our course went onto winter rules on Monday ( A little early ?) anyway Lanark was stunning great day and wouldn't think we are in November no placing or anything greens in very good condition running true and the tees are great. Just a great course just a shame it's a little far away from me or a would be a member there. 

@bigsasasfloopyhair do people take on the ditch on the 11th hole a think I had it at 230yards ? I hit a 3 wood then a 5 iron just short of the green by about a foot. 

On 29/10/2016 at 0:01 PM, jackunion said:

I play at dundonald m8, great course all year round, only problem is that the 7 day membership is a bit of a closed shop, the 5 day membership offers unlimited golf mon-fri and after 12 on a Sunday,  the 5 day package is £850 a year but not sure if they do a sloping fee for half the season . 

Hope this helps m8:541:

31 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I play at dundonald m8, great course all year round, only problem is that the 7 day membership is a bit of a closed shop, the 5 day membership offers unlimited golf mon-fri and after 12 on a Sunday,  the 5 day package is £850 a year but not sure if they do a sloping fee for half the season . 

Hope this helps m8:541:

Cheers mate, 

booked a tee off time for saturday morning 4 baw @ dundonald this weekend so may enquire then. 

Tbh, the winter ticket for Troon courses seems gd value for money @ £170 from November to end of march. 

On 25/10/2016 at 0:01 AM, ready1873 said:

Been really keen to start playing. Basically starting from scratch though.

What do you fellas recommend as the best starting point? Get down to the range and start working on a swing? Or get some lessons to give me a solid base? I mean I watch it every single weekend so I have a rough idea of the basics of a swing, but I get it's a very complicated practice.

Last time I played any golf was at Inverclyde when I was about 12....

Similar to myself mate. Tickled my fancy after not playing since was wee. Bought a cheap set of club and watched loads of YouTube videos (meandmygolf). Then just went to local football pitches and practiced what was in videos and had a few trips to driving range too.

That was 4 months ago and now have an unofficial handicap from an app (golfshake) of 12.4 and joined the local course and am hooked!

It is very frustrating bur really enjoyable at the same time. GooD luck!

1 hour ago, jackunion said:

Cheers mate, 

booked a tee off time for saturday morning 4 baw @ dundonald this weekend so may enquire then. 

Tbh, the winter ticket for Troon courses seems gd value for money @ £170 from November to end of march. 

What time you out?

On 01/11/2016 at 5:23 PM, RFC RYAN said:

Went for a game at Lanark today as our course went onto winter rules on Monday ( A little early ?) anyway Lanark was stunning great day and wouldn't think we are in November no placing or anything greens in very good condition running true and the tees are great. Just a great course just a shame it's a little far away from me or a would be a member there. 

@bigsasasfloopyhair do people take on the ditch on the 11th hole a think I had it at 230yards ? I hit a 3 wood then a 5 iron just short of the green by about a foot. 

They done their greens in late July , I played it then and wasn't too happy. Cracking course all the same. Some belting holes. 

22 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

They done their greens in late July , I played it then and wasn't too happy. Cracking course all the same. Some belting holes. 

If I remember correctly they had a Scottish amateur event round about that time that's why they done them. 

20 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Anyone played Caldwell golf course? Back roads from barrhead to ayr? 

Thats probably the best course I've played but was wondering if the courses you guys are playing are alot better than that

Caldwell is ok, there are much better courses around the general area, Paisley and Elderslie for starters. I like Caldwell as a track but it's condition can vary dramatically. one week really slow greens, next week scarily quick in places.

47 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Caldwell is ok, there are much better courses around the general area, Paisley and Elderslie for starters. I like Caldwell as a track but it's condition can vary dramatically. one week really slow greens, next week scarily quick in places.

I've never played Caldwell. Is it worth a hit? 

47 minutes ago, jackunion said:

We booked it on tee of times, 

is is it possible we will be turned away from that tee of time as it's a medal ? 

I doubt it, fuck me we once had 12 Spaniards out b4 us one medal.

Their are early morning slots and later slots for the medal, I'm sure you will be fine.