Alex Ferguson bans youth players from wearing coloured boots.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has underlined his authority at Old Trafford by banning young players from wearing coloured boots.

Ferguson is acutely aware of how times have changed since taking over in 1986 and has accepted that he cannot control every facet of his players' lives the way he used to.

But the 68-year-old manager still becomes irritated by the manner in which young players are given too much too soon and has decided to clamp down on them wearing anything other than traditional black boots.

While first-team stars such as Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Ryan Giggs are free to wear what they like in order to keep up with the demands of their sponsors, Ferguson has decreed that youth team and academy players must wear black.

An Old Trafford source said: 'Sir Alex doesn't like young players to get ahead of themselves. He thinks their feet should be on the ground.'

United are also watchful on the use of boots with 'bladed' soles as they feel they can cause head injuries.

Is this a good idea? I'm not sure if I agree, does it matter which colour of boots players wear?

I hear he's also stopped youth players from getting interviewed for Man U tv.

Sounds like there's been some trouble with the Utd youths.

I read somewhere today he's been ordered to stop refusing to be interviewed by BBC.

I read somewhere today he's been ordered to stop refusing to be interviewed by BBC.

I'm sure I saw him being interviewed post match a few weeks ago. Was first time in ages it aint been Mike Phelan

I like the black traditional. (tu)

Same not into the fancy mettalic blue vapours or anything just plain old Adidas predators or just the plain black and white Adidas Kaka used to wear

I've got the black/red Nike boots that Boyd and Weir wear, they are the best boots I've ever had.

i think its a good idea, advocaat done the same in his years at ibrox if you notice at that period none of the gers players had coloured boots on. It was actualy one of the reasons amato had fallouts with "the little general" because it stopped him earning money from a sponsors contract he signed prior to joining rangers

Right thing to do.

Too many youngsters care more about how they luck than how they play.

too much posing going on hehe

Ha, that article is scarily correct!

I wear brown leathery coloured boots, and it says the colour goes with the star sign capricorn, which is my star sign.