Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BasileBoliSoup

Creating Player Pages

13 posts in this topic

Here is a guide to make players' pages in Rangers Pedia.

1. If you haven't already, register on Rangers Pedia by clicking Create an Account at the top right of the main page.

http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Main_Page

2. Go to the Templates page and copy all the code under Player Profiles.

http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Rangerspedia_Templates

3. Go to Players Complete A to Z page http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Players_-_Complete_A_to_Z and click on the name of the player that you want to create a page for. You can also search for the player using the search box on the left of the page. If the players name is red, this means that a page has not been made, if it is blue, then a page has already been made or started.

4. Paste the Player Profile template into the empty page.

5. First off is the Profile Box, here is the code:

{{infobox Player

| playername = PLAYERNAME

| image = [[File:UPLOADEDiMAGEfILEnMAE|180px]]

| fullname = PLAYERSFULLNAME

| height = HEIGHT(IN METERS)

| dateofbirth = DOB(DD/MM/YYYY)

| cityofbirth = CITYOFBIRTH

| countryofbirth = COUNTRYOFBIRTH

| clubnumber = SHIRTNUMbER

| position = PLAYERSPOSITION

| debut = DEBUTGAME(eg: 22/5/2008 vs Motherwell)

}}

6. Just fill in the details by using sources such as Wikipedia or other sites, or Chic Sharps' spreadsheet. For height, if it is not known, just put 0.00. For debut, which is most easily found using the spreadsheet, put the date and team as shown above followed by (h), (a) or (n) depending on the venue and also put the score of the game with Rangers goals first. This is just to keep it in the same format that we have been doing. (tu)

7. For the image, open up the Single File Upload page in another tab, http://rangerspedia.org/index.php/Special:Upload, and after naming and uploading the image, go back to the player profile and type the name of it where the bold bit is above.

A good source for player images is Wertp72's site. http://imageevent.com/wertp For alot of older players I have got a squad photo that they were in, and cropped it to just include them, and used it as their image.

8. A good site to get the squad number for players is Football Squads http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/squads09.htm

Here is an example of what a completed Player Profile box looks like, and the code used to get it.

{{infobox Player

| playername = Lorenzo Amoruso

| image = [[File:Amoruso--346x212.jpg‎|200px]]

| fullname = Lorenzo Pier Luigi Amoruso

| height = 1.81

| dateofbirth = 28/06/1971

| cityofbirth = Bari

| countryofbirth = Italy

| clubnumber = 4

| position = Centre back

| debut = 12/04/1998 vs Celtic (h) 2-0

}}

rm-1267927469-U1762.jpg

9. Next you can put in some text about the player detailing their career, although this can be added later.

10. The next section is Rangers Career Statistics. To do this section, you will need Chic Sharps' spreadsheet which includes stats for all Rangers players. http://www.rangersmedia.com/rangersstats.xlsx It can take a minute or 2 to load when you open it, so be patient.

11. When you go to do this bit, it is recommended that you use the Rich Editor as it makes the stats tables much easier. Using the spreadsheet find the players stats tables which are one of 5 sheets furthest to the right, and copy over the stats to your stat table. Look at the top of the Players A to Z page to see which tournaments go in which columns, as the Victory Cup and Emergency War Cup are put in the Cup column as they were replacements for the Scottish Cup. http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Players_-_Complete_A_to_Z

12. When doing the tables, I delete competitions that weren't there in the particular players' era. So for the oldest players I delete the European and League Cup columns, and for modern players I delete Minor as comps like the Glasgow Cup have ended. Rows and columns are easily added and deleted using the rich editor.

13. When putting in the season in the first column, do it in this format. [[2000/01]] The [[]] round the year makes it a link to the page for that season.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the Stats tables or think it looks too time consuming, don't let it put you off helping. These can be left and I'll do them as I've gotten into a wee rythmn.

14. For the honours section, just put the name of the competitions the player has won, and next to it all the seasons they won it in eg. Scottish Cup - [[1998/99]], [[2001/02]]. Also put any international caps won.

15. For images just upload any for the player and add in the filenames. For each image it should like

File:imagename.jpg|description

16. Videos are done by putting in this code

<youtube video number />

eg. <youtube v="zCwCXD10qvI" />

17. External links can just include links to a players official site, newspaper article or whatever

Well that's everything I can think of at the moment, but don't be put off if it seems like too much. Once you do a few you will get quicker and even if people contribute a one every now and then it will help the site grow. If you have any more questions just leave it in this thread or drop me a PM. :)

Aye that's it mate. Which format should we use for the debut in the profile? I've been doing mine like : 23/8/1965 vs Dunfermline (a) 3-0 but noticed you were doing it differently. It's just so that they are all the same. And for the stats table I've been deleting tournaments from the tables that weren't about when that player played eg.

* Modern players wouldn't have Minor as Glasgow Cup stopped in 1988

* Players before 1890 wouldn't have League, League Cup, Euro

* Players between 1890 and 1940 woulodn't have League Cup, Euro

* European football didn't start until 1955

Again it's just to keep them all going to the same format, and it saves puttings loads of 0s in the table :lol:

On Rangers History they have been including the Southern League Cup in the League Cup column like I have, but I had also been including the Victory Cup, Summer Cup and Emergency War Cup as Cup games as they were just replacements for the Scottish Cup during war time. On Rangers History those comps ar counted as minor. What do you think we should do? It's just so I know if I need to go back and change some of the players I have done that played in those competitions.

Still recommend you get the spreadsheet for the stats as Rangers History is not finished and it is good for working out things like clean sheets for the goalies as well. There are stats tables made up on it already for all players that played more than ones season so it is easy to just take th numbers from there and put them in the relevant columns.(tu)

Edited by BasileBoliSoup

I wasn't sure how to do the debut but I'll do it the way you do it from now on. I tried to delete tournaments but didn't know how to without making the table lop-sided. Just tried it there though and I know how to do it now. :)

Not sure, if we're going to include it then maybe we should put it underneath it's included in that competition?

Tried to download it last night but it takes a while for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing?

I wasn't sure how to do the debut but I'll do it the way you do it from now on. I tried to delete tournaments but didn't know how to without making the table lop-sided. Just tried it there though and I know how to do it now. :)

Not sure, if we're going to include it then maybe we should put it underneath it's included in that competition?

Tried to download it last night but it takes a while for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing?

Aye you just highlight the cells you want rid of, right click and select delete cells.

I put a bit of text at the top of the Complete A to Z Players page that said which tournaments were included in each columns. I just think they should go in there as league appearances are always in the league column even when it was war time, same with the Southern League Cup in the League Cup column. Rangers History is also doing this but he doesn't include the Cups I mentioned in the Scottish Cup.

It shouldn't matter anyway as all games during the war years are classed as unofficial. Another thing which would be good to include now or later would be total competitive games ie, no war era, friendlies, some minor cups, but we would need to find out from an official source what competitions were classed as competitive like Glasgow Cup, Merchants Charity Cup,etc. Think we are fine the way we are going just now, but it's something we could add in later.

This computer malarky is a wee bit above me but I don't mind doing the research for players if its possible to do it on say Microsoft Word and send it to somebody who can put it on the site.

This computer malarky is a wee bit above me but I don't mind doing the research for players if its possible to do it on say Microsoft Word and send it to somebody who can put it on the site.

I think we have the stats for most of players but there's nothing stopping you from telling us stories down the years about some of the older players that are hard to get information on. :)

Just done ross mccormack and alex rae didn't do the stats but

That's good mate, I could do with a hand :lol: Have a go at adding images if you want, the code you put in is:

== Images ==

<gallery>

File:IMAGENAME|Caption

</gallery>

After uploading the image, put it's name instead of IMAGENAME, eg prso.jpg. If you want to put a description put it after the |. You can add a few just by adding another File: on the line underneath. Don't worry about the stats mate, I'll do them, every bit you do to help is much appreciated. (tu)

That's good mate, I could do with a hand :lol: Have a go at adding images if you want, the code you put in is:

== Images ==

<gallery>

</gallery>

After uploading the image, put it's name instead of IMAGENAME, eg prso.jpg. If you want to put a description put it after the |. You can add a few just by adding another File: on the line underneath. Don't worry about the stats mate, I'll do them, every bit you do to help is much appreciated. (tu)

Already done the images :wink: Just want to do my part in helping :uk:

Aye seen you put an image in the profile bit, I was meaning in the Image section after the Stats and Honours where you can put a small gallery of other pics. (tu)

See when you start a page, try copying all the code from the players bit on the templates page.

http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Rangerspedia_Templates#Players_Profile

{{infobox Player

| playername = PLAYERNAME

| image = [[File:UPLOADEDiMAGEfILEnMAE|180px]]

| fullname = PLAYERSFULLNAME

| height = HEIGHT(IN METERS)

| dateofbirth = DOB(DD/MM/YYYY)

| cityofbirth = CITYOFBIRTH

| countryofbirth = COUNTRYOFBIRTH

| clubnumber = SHIRTNUMbER

| position = PLAYERSPOSITION

| debut = DEBUTGAME(eg: 22/5/2008 vs Motherwell)

}}

== Rangers Career Statistics ==

{| border="1" style="width: 574px; height: 170px;" class="wikitable"

|-

! rowspan="2" | Season

! colspan="2" | League

! colspan="2" | Cup

! colspan="2" | League Cup<br>

! colspan="2" | European <br>

! colspan="2" | Minor<br>

! colspan="2" | Friendlies <br>

! colspan="2" | Total

|-

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

! Apps

! Goals

|- align="center"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- align="center"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- align="center"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- align="center"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- align="center"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|-

! Total

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

|}

== Honours ==

* COMPETITION - YEARS

== Images ==

<gallery>

</gallery>

== Videos ==

== External Links ==

Edited by BasileBoliSoup

Some good work guys. I will be continuing on my players soon i have neglected it because the programme archive started just before xmas and we are still working on it. My players section was down for a while but its back up now. I will soon be reworking the players as well starting from scratch with more info, just registartion dates and fee ect. I have most going back to 1890 but it takes time to input the data. that should also give everyone an idea of who were guest players during the wars. It will also provide details of what team Rangers players guested for. Player images are a bugger to find but if you know who else they played for means you can head in that direction.

Your site is brilliant, I've been using it as a source for pics and some info. Put a link to your site when a pic is used. (tu)