Rangers shirt history

jamd1986

Just received a little piece of Rangers history in the post today. This shirt:

post-163-128345287455_thumb.jpg

Would any older bears be able to identify the years this shirt was worn? Historicalkits.co.uk leads me to believe that it is from 1976-1978, as it resembles the 1970s style but has the Umbro logo. Anyone able to confirm if this is true?

Cheers lads!

This is where my confusion arises from. If Umbros first kit with us was 1978 then it would have been this strip:

1978_-_1982.jpg

The shirt I've got seems to precede this, and its been difficult to find any pictures of the team wearing it. However, historickits have the strip for 1976-1978 listed as this:

rangers_1976-1978.gif

Which appears to resemble the one I'm referring to.

That looks like a polyester shirt, but the no-sponsor style precedes the adoption of that material, so I don't think it's an official shirt, or at least not one that was used in official matches for any period of time.

The 1978 shirt looks like this:

472749-3.jpg

What you've got there look to me like a mid 80s prototype.

Theres a lot of mixing up amongst websites with the look of it and we could have it wrong as we have gone off what was written on the site.

Maybe one of the old books on Rangers tells us?

Cheers for the help lads.

The one I have does look like the one sported by Davie Cooper, with sleeves, neck and badge matching identically. Again, the only difference appears to be the presence of the Umbro logo.

By the mid 80s we were sponsored by CR Smith and this shirt doesn't seem to resemble any of the designs from that time. Wee bit of a puzzler.

I can answer this I think. 1977-78 we wore umbro on our strip for the Cup final. I believe it was the only time that season. This looks like a prototype from around that time, because afterwards we went with the red/white and blue collars. So I believe it was a strip that was made but never actually worn bar the cup final with the cup final writing on it.

3272433236_f565ffd0a2.jpg

smiley-gen014.gif Looks like he has a nice piece of history then.

Just received a little piece of Rangers history in the post today. This shirt:

post-163-128345287455_thumb.jpg

Would any older bears be able to identify the years this shirt was worn? Historicalkits.co.uk leads me to believe that it is from 1976-1978, as it resembles the 1970s style but has the Umbro logo. Anyone able to confirm if this is true?

Cheers lads!

I've never seen that as an official Rangers shirt.

Cheers for that Samuel. Great help!

I got the jersey from guy who now lives in holland. He used to live over here in the late 70s/ early 80s, which was around the time he got this shirt.

I'm trying to collect as many gers home tops throughout our history as possible, especially originals, do I was hoping this was going to be a good find.