Boxing and MMA

TBF its not Taylors fault the rest are not upto scratch, if the likes of wade and that actually put in the practice hours that taylor has then its always going to be the same, the young ones let the money go to their head and don't concentrate.

It's not they ain't up to scratch, they freeze up for some reason and the fear factor or the games man ship of Taylor gets to the rest.

How many times do you see you see Taylor behind in a leg, and his opponent miss a easy checkout just to give Taylor a chance.

The times Taylor does get some pressure on him, he does lose his cool... Barney, King and Wade have proved this in the past.

Agree with u DB. Barney shits himself now against Taylor n thats a mental block. He basically handed Taylor the title in Vegas. Only guy who has beat him on telly has been King who has proved that he doesn't fear Taylor.

Look at guys like Adrian Lewis and Terry Jenkins. They are beaten by Taylor before they even get on the stage

It's not just about the others freezing though, is it?

Taylor consistently outscores his opponents, is strong on the doubles, has 180's in abundance, and can do 100+ checkouts.

But yeah, he only wins through fear..:rolleyes:

He certainly doesn't win just through fear he's the best darts player of all time but other players have a lack of mental toughness when it comes to playing Taylor.

e.g. if say Barney is sitting on double 18 on his throw taylor takes out a massive checkout and you can see the confidence draining away

IMO the only player who doesn't show any fear of Taylor is Mervyn King and he has had the best results against Taylor this year. That can't just be a coincidence

Taylor consistently outscores his opponents, is strong on the doubles, has 180's in abundance, and can do 100+ checkouts.

He certainly doesn't win just through fear he's the best darts player of all time but other players have a lack of mental toughness when it comes to playing Taylor.

e.g. if say Barney is sitting on double 18 on his throw taylor takes out a massive checkout and you can see the confidence draining away

IMO the only player who doesn't show any fear of Taylor is Mervyn King and he has had the best results against Taylor this year. That can't just be a coincidence

King has always been the same , he thinks he is the best therefore why should he fear anyone, i agree that mentallity has to come into and the crowd are also a factor but come on how often do you see taylor missing 7 darts in a row at a double ? a good player should NEVER miss 7 darts in one leg at a double .

King has always been the same , he thinks he is the best therefore why should he fear anyone, i agree that mentallity has to come into and the crowd are also a factor but come on how often do you see taylor missing 7 darts in a row at a double ? a good player should NEVER miss 7 darts in one leg at a double .

I agree the crowd does come into it to an extent but thats not always the case barney and taylor got perfect order on Sunday and Barney just didn't turn-up. Hopefully Taylor's darts will go missing and he'll have to go back to his old ones. Thats been a massive difference in his success (as Sid Waddell has told us so many times)

It's not only about freezing cause that's disrespectful, but it plays a massive part in it.

Taylor has high averages but so does Anderson, Wade, Barney etc who consistently average over 100 but when it comes to playing Taylor there averages drop. Next time you see Taylor in a final watch how many times his opponent has a easy checkout and misses. It might surprise you. :rolleyes:

Was gonnae find the Darting Takeover thread but couldn't be arsed and I reckoned that putting it in here would be apt as this was already here on the first page anyway!

Barry Hearn has said that progress is being made in the Professional Darts Corporation's bid to take over the British Darts Organisation.

Hearn's offer of £1m for the BDO was rejected in October.

But the PDC chief told BBC Radio Stoke: "I'm awaiting a letter from their lawyers requesting further information.

"It's a step forward. It's not a no and it's not a yes. It makes me feel slightly positive, but clearly there's still a long way to go."

On rejecting Hearn's initial bid, BDO boss Olly Croft said that his organisation was "not for sale" at any price and that the offer was "nothing more than a cheap publicity stunt".

But, the individual county associations that make up the BDO met on Sunday to discuss the proposed unification of the sport.

As well as promising to honour all of the BDO's existing tournaments, Hearn has said he will pump money into the game's grassroots.

"The PDC needs the BDO," admitted Hearn. "The county associations do a fantastic job, mostly unpaid and working with no money.

"They keep the game alive at amateur level. I need an amateur level to produce the stars of tomorrow otherwise in five or 10 years the bubble will burst.

"We need a unified sport for the general good of the game. We've got to provide finance for everyone to enjoy darts.

"There's no money going into the amateur game from the BDO. The BDO hasn't changed for 20 years - they don't know how to run a business.

"If you don't know how to run a business in sport, you're out of business.

"We're saying 'Let us help you, we'll show you how to run a business properly and we'll provide finance for the things you need'.

"If that's wrong, tell me. We'll walk away and we'll spend it on ourselves."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...rts/8370290.stm

A great development.

02 Dec 2009

THE Professional Darts Corporation and Unicorn Darts have teamed up with Stockport College to launch the first professional Darts Academy.

The unique Darts Academy will be a part of Stockport College's highly successful Academy of Sport, and based at the Stockport College Town Centre Campus.

Equipped with Unicorn playing equipment, the Darts Academy will offer professional coaching for students alongside full-time education within Stockport College.

Stockport College Academy of Sport Manager Steve Mort said: "Due to the seven-year success of our Academy of Sport we felt that there was a unique opportunity to create the first ever professional Darts Academy in partnership with the PDC and sponsored by Unicorn.

"Players within the professional Darts Academy will benefit from full-time education and in addition from professional coaching in the sport."

Stockport College Academy of SportPDC stars Terry Jenkins, Colin Lloyd and Jelle Klaasen visited Stockport College in March and played exhibition games against a selection of students, as well as seeing the Academy of Sport's facilities at first hand.

Mort added: "Since March we have been inundated with enquiries about our new professional Darts Academy, and the plans have now finally come into fruition and we are ready to welcome new players!

"The initial intake of players will be 16-19-year-olds but as the Academy develops we plan to broaden the age group of players who can join us."

PDC Director Rod Harrington, who attended the launch of the Darts Academy along with leading professional players Colin Osborne and Wes Newton, said: "This is a very important step.

"This is the first ever professional Darts Academy and we hope others will follow the lead of Stockport College Academy of Sport.

"Development of future talent is something the Professional Darts Corporation take seriously in ensuring the ongoing growth of professional darts around the world."

A number of independent darts academies have been formed in recent years around the UK, whose young players may now get the opportunity to compete against the Stockport College Academy of Sport students.

"Having championed and sponsored a number of darts academies in the past couple of years, we are now delighted to offer our support to the Stockport College Darts Academy," said Unicorn Darts Managing Director Edward Lowy.

"This is the first time we have co-ordinated our sponsorship with the PDC and we hope it may signal the start of greater co-operation between us with academies."

The Stockport College Darts Academy will:

* Provide participants aged 16-19 with the best opportunity to develop and excel while continuing their full-time education

* Provide participants with up to eight hours per week of practice, professional coaching and competition

* Provides competition in regional and national events

* Attendance at official PDC events

In addition, Stockport College provides a wide range of academic and/or vocational qualifications, excellent facilities and the expertise of professional staff.

Further information about the professional Darts Academy at Stockport College Academy of Sport can be found at www.stockport.ac.uk/sport or via 0161 958 3630.

http://www.pdc.tv/page/NewsdeskDetail/0,,1...1891650,00.html

Long time TheOche.com correspondant Phill Catterick posed a few questions to Wayne ‘Hawaii 501′ Mardle. Sit back and read the interview as sent in by Mr. Catterick….Book’em Phill’o!

By Phill Catterick:

`Hawaii 501` as he’s better known hasn’t had the best of seasons on the PDC circuit as the man himself admits, but his popularity amongst fans is as strong as ever and he’ll be hoping to put on a good show at the World Championships next month.

His time at the Grand Slam wasn’t particularly successful, losing all three of his group matches to return home early, and I caught up with Wayne to ask him a few questions on a year which he may be looking to wipe from his memory.

Phill: Firstly how would you assess your form and performances throughout the 2009 season?

Mardle: The whole year has been a nightmare. Firstly being ill for the first five months of it and then trying to get into some kind of rhythm for the last six months. Things are picking up now thank god.

Phill: The year didn’t start brilliantly for you after having to withdraw from the Whyte and Mackay Premier League due to poor health-how disappointing was it to have to miss the back end of the competition?

Mardle: It was a massive disappointment.

The PDC had no choice but to withdraw me and I thank them for it as it helped my recuperation from illness.

Due to Wayne missing the last stages of the league his results were wiped completely and `challenge` matches were introduced with the likes of Gary Anderson, Dennis Priestley and Mark Webster coming into fill the fixture list. Mardle’s task to reach the play-offs was near impossible anyway but due to missing three fixtures in a row the rules stated that he had to be withdrawn.

Phill: You experimented with your throwing technique during the league-is this something you believe has helped you or is it merely taking away what comes naturally to you as a Dart player?

Mardle: I was looking to improve and it never really felt that natural hence why I’m throwing as I have always done. Change can be good. For me it didn’t work.

Phill: In the past year or so you’ve slipped down the world rankings to number 17. Presumably you’re eager to re-climb the table and prove to everyone what you can do?

Mardle: It’s only been this year I have dropped. I was world number six in February and my illness was my main problem. I will climb the rankings again I have no doubts about that.

Phill: Due to your current ranking, are you resigned to losing a place in the Premier League next year or do you still believe a strong performance at the World Championship would gain you an entry?

Mardle: A place in the Premier League is miles off. Of course a big run in the worlds would put me in contention but if I’m honest I don’t think on this years form I deserve a place.

Phill: Talking of the Championships, it’s the venue where you famously beat Phil Taylor in the Quarter Finals of 2008. You were very emotional after claiming victory, why do you think this was?

Mardle: I’m an emotional person anyway and to be playing for two hours against the worlds greatest on the best stage in the world and to win was amazing, and as the last dart went in it dawned on me that I was good enough to be world champion. With all that going on I cried my eyes out.

The match itself was a thrilling encounter with Taylor storming into a 3-0 lead before Mardle stormed back to level the scores, and then amazingly went onto win the game 5-4 and set up a semi-final with qualifier Kirk Shepherd.

Phill: Do you believe having won that match that you missed your chance to become World Champion, as the players left in the tournament (with all due respect to them) weren’t players that were predicted to get that far before the competition began?

Mardle: Yes I missed a huge chance. But I believe another will present itself.

Phill: What are you hoping to achieve at the Ally Pally this time round? You’ve said many times that when you’re playing well your a match for anyone so bearing this in mind is winning the competition a realistic possibility for yourself?

Mardle: If I play my `A` game I can win it that’s why I’m a professional darts player. My game can win it. Five semi finals in eight years tells me that.

Phill: You’ve just completed your time at the Grand Slam in Wolverhampton where unfortunately you were eliminated in the group stages. Were you surprised at the way in which the crowd treated the BDO World Champion Ted Hankey?

Mardle: Not really. I get on well with Ted but he said in the press that he dislikes the PDC crowds. That’s not very clever is it? He got away lightly!

Hankey clinched the BDO title with a win against Tony O’Shea at the Lakeside in January and then insisted he had the ability to beat the best in the PDC, but after criticising the crowds they understandably got on his back and he was later eliminated in the group stage along with Wayne.

Phill: Anastasia Dobromyslova finally secured her first win of the tournament after a number of attempts to do so. Having just about managed to hold her off last year were you at all surprised that she beat Vincent Van Der Voort?

Mardle: She averaged 88 per throw and she played well. For a man or woman that’s decent darts. Surprised? Not really.

Phill: Finally, Phil Taylor has completely dominated the tour this year after claiming all but one of the major tournaments. Can you see anybody defeating him to take his World crown?

Mardle: There are about a dozen players who can take Phil but it’s whether we do it on the day.

You can find out if anyone can indeed stop the Power when the World Championships get underway on the 18th of December at the Alexandra Palace in London. Wayne Mardle says his `A` game could well bring him the title. Perhaps after a bad season he’s due a good performance!

http://www.theoche.com/archives/2108?utm_s...8TheOche.com%29

It's not only about freezing cause that's disrespectful, but it plays a massive part in it.

Taylor has high averages but so does Anderson, Wade, Barney etc who consistently average over 100 but when it comes to playing Taylor there averages drop. Next time you see Taylor in a final watch how many times his opponent has a easy checkout and misses. It might surprise you. :rolleyes:

think you'll find that Anderson's goes up (tu) when facing Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
Phil Taylor says British Darts Organisation chiefs do not deserve the £1million that Barry Hearn has offered them.

In October, Professional Darts Corporation chairman Hearn offered £1m to buy out the BDO and pledged to pump a further £1m into the grass roots of the sport.

However, BDO head Olly Croft dismissed the offer as "a cheap publicity stunt" and was not willing to combine the two organisations or end the split that has divided professional darts since 1993.

PDC world number one Taylor, who is managed by Hearn, admits he would like to see the creation of a single World Championship.

But he was glad the BDO turned down Hearn because he does not believe their chiefs deserve such a big payday.

He told skysports.com: "I'm quite glad they said no because I think we can spend £2million on something else.

"Put it into tournaments as prize money rather than giving it to those sour-faced crabapples.

"The players are okay, but it's the officials. You'll find in any sport that it's the people that don't play that cause all the trouble."

Row

Taylor, who won the first two of his 14 World Championship titles playing in the BDO, was among the players that helped create the new organisation in 1993 following a row over a lack of sponsorship and prize money.

And he believes unification would ultimately be good for the BDO players because the sport's finances would be handled better by Hearn.

"I would love to see them joined together," he continued.

"Then there'd be one World Championship and it would cut out all the nonsense about who's the best and who isn't.

"Also, Barry Hearn would create a good league for them, he'd plough money into the game - as the BDO don't - and it wouldn't all be whittled away as it is now. There'd be more prize money and more sponsorship."

Profit

The PDC claims they made more than £1m in profit last year, compared to the £16,000 they say was earned by the BDO.

And Taylor dismissed the business acumen of the BDO and suggested they are not qualified to run darts at the top level.

He continued: "The BDO committee is like a working men's club at the moment; one's a plumber, one's a bricklayer, one's on the dole. They're not business people.

"Barry Hearn's a different class, he's my manager so I've got to say that, but he is.

"I've been with both organisations so I know what work Barry does and what they do.

"They don't even come close to lacing his boots.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12288_5771923,00.html

After another year of darts domination, Phil Taylor has now set his sights on the biggest prize of all.

The Power is searching for his 15th World Championship title and is the clear favourite with the bookmakers at the end of a year which has already seen him win the World Matchplay, the World Grand Prix, the UK Open, the Las Vegas Desert Classic and the Grand Slam of Darts.

skysports.com caught up with Taylor ahead of the first £1million World Darts Championship - where the winner will take home £200,000 - to find out how he has been preparing for the richest tournament in darts history.

He opened up about his preparations for Alexandra Palace - as well as telling us why he'll be locking himself away on Christmas Day.

He discussed Barry Hearn's offer to buy the rival BDO organisation, his latest Sports Personality of the Year snub and his plans for 2010.

Plus read on to find out what happened when one of his biggest rivals, Raymond van Barneveld, stayed over at his house last month...

What does the World Championship mean to you?

Phil Taylor: The Worlds is the big one, that's the one with the ring around it. Everything else comes second place to the World Championship; you can be crowned World Matchplay winner, World Grand Prix winner or whatever, but there's nothing like the World Championship. That's the big one.

It's also the big one when it comes to cash... £1million of prize money this year!

PT: Yeah, yeah, yeah... it's not so much about the money though. The money's a bonus. I don't even think about it.

So you're not thinking about the £200,000 for the champion?

PT: No. Just about the title. That's all I'm interested in. I know it sounds strange, but it really is.

Who do you think your main rivals will be this year?

PT: I think it'll be Raymond [van Barneveld] and James [Wade], they'll be two big ones. Colin Osborne could do well for himself if he performs, Andy Hamilton's always in there with a shot and young Adrian [Lewis] is a good little player. It all depends which one turns up. They haven't had the consistency I've had.

Are you surprised nobody has got closer to you in any of the finals so far this year?

PT: No, hahaha! I've been dedicated, I've been improving and my averages have gone higher. There have been a few finals where they've played really well, but I've managed to scrape through.

Speaking of your averages, Sky Sports commentator Sid Waddell reckons you're going to average 120 in the final. Is that really possible?

PT: I hope he's right. If I do that I shall win 7-0! But yes, it's quite possible. We do it all the time in practice, it's doing it on stage and on TV that's the challenge. It should be even more possible in longer sets because you can get into the game and relax over a longer period.

Are you doing anything different to prepare for this year's tournament?

PT: No, not really. I have to get more rest than I used to. I have to watch my sleep a little bit because as you get older, you get a bit more tired.

I hear you've been changing the flights on your darts...

PT: I've trimmed them a little bit to make them more streamlined. It's just what I'm like, I sit there at night time and a thought will pop into my head so I try it the next day. If I like it I'll stick with it.

Is it true you were trimming your flights with scissors before your matches at the Grand Slam?

PT: Yes

That sounds...

PT: Stupid? Maybe, but I thought it might improve things. I normally know within the first five or 10 minutes whether something's going to work and if it isn't any good it goes in the bin. I've won about £250,000 doing it this year, so it's not doing too much harm! In practice it's going really well, much better than my other ones.

Will you be practising on Christmas Day this year?

PT: Yes. I should be playing the day after so I need to get my practice in. I practise every day. The family don't mind because I've been doing it every year for 20 years, they're used to it. Because I live on a golf course now we'll be going for dinner at the golf club, about 25 of us are going for a carvery, so I need to practise in the morning. I'll practise from about 10am until 1pm, then the rest of the day is mine.

There have been some Sky Sports adverts with people like Andrew Flintoff, Steven Gerrard and Ricky Hatton praising you. What was your reaction to that?

PT: I was absolutely gobsmacked, I didn't realise all of that had gone on. For them to do that for me is very humbling. What can I say? I'm very grateful.

If they are saying things like that, why do you never get nominated for Sports Personality of the Year?

PT: Everybody keeps asking me that. I'm very disappointed that the BBC keep shunning me all the time, but I'm not going to let it affect me because it happens every year! It's not one year, it's been the last 20. It's part and parcel of the BBC and my life. Perhaps I should have been a bit outspoken, a little bit more arrogant and I might have got a bit more recognition. I don't know, I think it just boils down to snobbery.

We hear Raymond Van Barneveld was staying at your house recently. What's he like as a house guest?

PT: He's alright. He's quiet. He doesn't do a lot. He's a normal guy.

How did that come about?

PT: He was in Wolverhampton rooming with another Dutch fellow, Vincent van der Voort, but he got knocked out early so was going home. We said Barney could come and stay at ours if he wanted, rather than being on his own.

Was there much banter between the two of you?

PT: Yeah, we had some fun. We went shopping one day. We went to Comet because I wanted to get an iPod. He learned me how to put music on an iPod because I didn't know how to do it. He taught me and I've got loads on there now... everything from Queen to Witney Houston, to Joe Longthorne to Robbie Williams to orchestras.

What's Barney's music taste like?

PT: Everything. I think he's got every album that ever got to number one. He's probably got 50,000 to 60,000 albums, he's that into it. He's also got 25,000 films in his house. He's a buff, he really is.

Barry Hearn recently made an offer to buy out the BDO in a deal worth £2million. What was your take on that?

PT: I wasn't really bothered, but I'm quite glad they said no because I think we can spend £2million on something else. Put it into tournaments as prize money rather than giving it to those sour-faced crab apples. The players are okay, but it's the officials. You'll find in any sport that it's the people that don't play that cause all the trouble.

Would there be value in combining the two organisations?

PT: I would love to see them joined together. Then there'd be one World Championship and it would cut out all the nonsense about who's the best and who isn't. Also, Barry Hearn would create a good league for them, he'd plough money into the game - as the BDO don't - and it wouldn't all be whittled away as it is now. There'd be more prize money and more sponsorship. The BDO committee is like a working men's club at the moment; one's a plumber, one's a bricklayer, one's on the dole. They're not business people. Barry Hearn's a different class, he's my manager so I've got to say that, but he is. I've been with both organisations so I know what work Barry does and what they do. They don't even come close to lacing his boots.

What does 2010 hold for Phil Taylor?

PT: I'll keep plodding on and hopefully get a bit more rest. I've just signed two big sponsorship deals so I'm going to be very busy. You might as well ask me about 2011 because 2010 has gone! I've got two weeks off in the whole year and I'm not promised that yet, I know what Barry Hearn's like. But I'll get on with my job.

And you don't see an end point for that job yet?

PT: No, not when the prize money's up to £10million! But it's not about prize money, it's about looking after my family... my children and my grandchildren. I want them to have a good life.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12287_5771806,00.html

PDC world darts championship starts this tomorrow and usually ends on new years day.

Lets hope someone gives power a run for his money.

Unfortunately, Mardle who knocked Taylor out 2 years ago has been on a downward spiral since, hopefully get through the 1st round at least against an unknown player.

http://www.pdc.tv/page/PlayersChampionship...1876071,00.html

Me & about 20 pals going to the second round on the Saturday, 30th January, 12 matches scheduled big names only playing.

Both sessions for £50. Seems to go up about a tenner a year.

Is better than Ally Pally though, and you get school dinners for supper thrown in.

http://www.pdc.tv/page/PlayersChampionship...1876071,00.html

Me & about 20 pals going to the second round on the Saturday, 30th January, 12 matches scheduled big names only playing.

Both sessions for £50. Seems to go up about a tenner a year.

Is better than Ally Pally though, and you get school dinners for supper thrown in.

Unfortunatley Taylor will romp but a good outside E/W bet is Gary Anderson. 16/1 with Coral and isn't in Taylor's half of the draw. Think he would play Barney in the quarters and Wade in the semis but I think he is capable of beating both of them. I don't expect Taylor to drop a set until the semis where he should play King

IF anderson can come through a tough first round match with the in form Jamie caven (tu)

That's a good point mate. Caven is bang in form. But if your going to get any value bettiing on the darts you have to pick someone who isn't in Taylors half of the draw

IF anderson can come through a tough first round match with the in form Jamie caven (tu)

That's a good point mate. Caven is bang in form. But if your going to get any value bettiing on the darts you have to pick someone who isn't in Taylors half of the draw

this is true, would love Anderson to win it but think Wade will be his only challenger if he isnt in taylors half of the draw , only if his heads in it right enough (tu)