Boxing and MMA

Anybody body watch that boxing show thats on in early hours. It showd a fight with the late arturo gatti and the irish guy. Was half sleeping watchn it can't remember his name. What a fight.

Micky Ward. That movie 'The Fighter' thats just coming out in cinemas is based on his life. It's pretty good. Round 9 of his first fight with Gatti is one of the greatest rounds of all time.

Micky Ward. That movie 'The Fighter' thats just coming out in cinemas is based on his life. It's pretty good. Round 9 of his first fight with Gatti is one of the greatest rounds of all time.

watched the film the other night. enjoyed the film.

round 9 Straight out of a rocky movie.

5th round

Ok heres a few, name any other please, fights that never happened, My best 3 would have been, Manny vs Prince Naseem at featherweight, Ricky Hatton Vs Arturo Gatti, what a ding dong that would have been. And would love to see how Floyd Mayweather would have coped against a in prime Kostya Tszyu after he already beat his uncle. thoughts..............

Ok heres a few, name any other please, fights that never happened, My best 3 would have been, Manny vs Prince Naseem at featherweight, Ricky Hatton Vs Arturo Gatti, what a ding dong that would have been. And would love to see how Floyd Mayweather would have coped against a in prime Kostya Tszyu after he already beat his uncle. thoughts..............

Calzaghe vs Froch

Hatton vs Khan

Klitschko vs Klitschko

If its fighters from different era's the fight I would have wanted to see the most would be Tyson and Ali at their peak. I think Tyson would knock him out.

If its fighters from different era's the fight I would have wanted to see the most would be Tyson and Ali at their peak. I think Tyson would knock him out.

Tend to agree. Watch footage of Tyson in his heyday then watch footage of Ali and Ali looks like he's wading in treacle. That's just a measure of how boxing has changed over time, though. I still think Ali was a better boxer relative to the standards of the time in which he fought.

Calzaghe vs Froch

Hatton vs Khan

Klitschko vs Klitschko

Liston and Forman both hit harder than Tyson and Ali picked them both apart. Ali's ability to take punisment is very under rated. You have to go back a bit further to find someone who can beat Ali in a prime for prime fight. Frazier was the nearest to really handling one of the greatest to step in the ring.

Liston and Forman both hit harder than Tyson and Ali picked them both apart. Ali's ability to take punisment is very under rated. You have to go back a bit further to find someone who can beat Ali in a prime for prime fight. Frazier was the nearest to really handling one of the greatest to step in the ring.

Tyson hit harder than Liston IMO, and there wasn't much between George and Iron Mike, both had 1 punch KO power so pretty irrelevant anyway.

Who have you got beating a prime (circa Cleveland Williams) Ali? Joe Louis? He'd get bewildered by movement ala Billy Conn except Ali would be hitting much

harder and faster for that matter. Surely not Dempsey or Johnson?

Nah mate, a prime Ali is as formidable a heavyweight as theirs been.

Edit: just seen the " Ali wading through treacle comment" Lol, watch this shit.

Edit: just seen the " Ali wading through treacle comment" Lol, watch this shit.

Exaggerated for effect, but for me there's no question that Tyson was faster than Ali. Ali was fast, but Tyson was on another level speed wise, particularly given how much power he put into his punches (it's one thing to throw a fast jab and another to throw power punches at the speed Tyson did).

Why is it one thing to throw a fast jab? Jab being arguably the most important punch in the sport. Are you suggesting throwing a fast jab is easy?

Ali threw faster combinations and had much faster feet than Tyson. Admittedly Tyson threw wicked hooks and uppercuts.

Why is it one thing to throw a fast jab? Jab being arguably the most important punch in the sport. Are you suggesting throwing a fast jab is easy?

Ali threw faster combinations and had much faster feet than Tyson. Admittedly Tyson threw wicked hooks and uppercuts.

Ali's combinations might have had speed but Tyson's had speed and sickening power. The form/mindset Tyson was in when he knocked out Michael Spinks I dont think anybody, from any era, could have stopped him from winning that night. I know Spinks was shitting it but even if he wasnt Tyson would have still destroyed him.

Also, no doubting the jab is probably the most important punch in boxing but it is definitely easier to learn to throw a fast jab than learn to throw a fast knockout uppercut or a hook. Definitely.

Ali's combinations might have had speed but Tyson's had speed and sickening power. The form/mindset Tyson was in when he knocked out Michael Spinks I dont think anybody, from any era, could have stopped him from winning that night. I know Spinks was shitting it but even if he wasnt Tyson would have still destroyed him.

Also, no doubting the jab is probably the most important punch in boxing but it is definitely easier to learn to throw a fast jab than learn to throw a fast knockout uppercut or a hook. Definitely.

Nah. As you say spinks was terrified, the last punch that landed didn't land flush, Spinks wanted out, the version of Buster Douglas which beat Tyson did so on merit and would have defeated any version of Mike. Ali beats Mike 99 times out of 100 prime v prime, same as Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe would have as well if they'd fought. Tyson was exciting and ultra aggressive but lucky to be a top 15 all time heavy.

If it is easier to learn to a fast jab than hook or upper why didn't super fast Tyson have a super fast jab?

Nah. As you say spinks was terrified, the last punch that landed didn't land flush, Spinks wanted out, the version of Buster Douglas which beat Tyson did so on merit and would have defeated any version of Mike. Ali beats Mike 99 times out of 100 prime v prime, same as Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe would have as well if they'd fought. Tyson was exciting and ultra aggressive but lucky to be a top 15 all time heavy.

If it is easier to learn to a fast jab than hook or upper why didn't super fast Tyson have a super fast jab?

Because of his size. It was never going to be Tyson's game plan to out-box all these taller guys who were at the top of the division. Hours spent working on a jab in the gym would be hours completely wasted because he would never have used it in a fight. Maybe one jab to the head when he's moving inside before letting his hooks and uppercuts go, but he was never going to be using a jab to keep anybody at arms length and box them all night.

In theory though if he wanted to use his jab more then he would have had no problem developing a lightening fast jab. No doubt about it. There was just simply no reason for him to do so.

(P.S. that Buster Douglas comment is insane)

The jab isn't only used for keeping opponents at arms length, but has many many uses hence the reason why it's widely accepted to be the most important of all punches to master. My point is the jab, the hook, uppercut etc etc are equal and no one is more difficult to learn tha the other. Ali had a faster and far better jab than Tyson, it's no use having a killer hook which you can't land.

Who is Tysons best win, old man Holmes, Spinks?

Btw the few times Buster was in shape and motivated he was bad ass. Too tall, jab too good, combos too much for any Tyson. Check him out.

I'm suggesting that power punches tend to be slower than jabs. Not sure what's controversial about that.

For me, Tyson's ability to throw power punches at the speed he did was unprecedented at the time.