Boxing and MMA

The minute ward seen kov moaning about low blows mid round the fight was over. Some of those were borderline. 

Kovalev wanted out simple as that. Ward was only getting stronger. Fight was only going one way. 

Zero credit aswell from kovalev to ward after the fight was poor. The bully got bullied. Well done andre ward?

Must be up in the p4p list now???

Ward is a dirty fighter, he does a lot of fighting in the grey areas of the rules. but...... it isnt a tickling match, the referee let him away with the dirty stuff and Ward capitalised. A fighter is only as dirty as a ref lets him be.... that is boxing and you get any advantage you can.

A bad night for referees given the farce of the Rigondeux fight.

That said it was a terrible stoppage, even disregarding the low blows, why is the ref stopping a championship fight for that? Yes, Kovalev was hurt.... but give him a count?

The whole fight unravelled starting from a low blow. Then finished on low blows, with a great head shot in between. Kovalev needed recovery time and Weeks neither called it or gave it.

Ward is a great fighter, p4p #1, but many feel a growing frustration that he seems to always gets the breaks with referees and judges.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Ward is a dirty fighter, he does a lot of fighting in the grey areas of the rules. but...... it isnt a tickling match, the referee let him away with the dirty stuff and Ward capitalised. A fighter is only as dirty as a ref lets him be.... that is boxing and you get any advantage you can.

A bad night for referees given the farce of the Rigondeux fight.

That said it was a terrible stoppage, even disregarding the low blows, why is the ref stopping a championship fight for that? Yes, Kovalev was hurt.... but give him a count?

The whole fight unravelled starting from a low blow. Then finished on low blows, with a great head shot in between. Kovalev needed recovery time and Weeks neither called it or gave it.

Ward is a great fighter, p4p #1, but many feel a growing frustration that he seems to always gets the breaks with referees and judges.

I'd need to check the specific rules of the sanctioning bodies whose titles were up for grabs, but standing 8 counts were generally eliminated by the United States Association of Boxing Commissions back in the late 90s; the ref's options, if he thought the shots weren't low blows, were to stop the fight or let them carry on. (If he classed them as low blows he could have warned Ward - or even deducted a point - and given Kovalev 5 minutes to recover.) The ref judged the blows to be legal, felt Kovalev wasn't defending himself and so stopped the fight. 

I thought the stoppage was premature and that at least one of the low blows was borderline - only guy who knows for sure is Kovalev - but I do think the stoppage was coming. Kovalev didn't seem to be responding well to Ward's body shots, and I'm not convinced it was all down to any low blows; Ward's always been good on the inside, and I think Kovalev - and Jackson - took for granted just how good and strong he can be there. 

Bit of an inconclusive end, but I'm not convinced Kovalev would win a third fight. I don't want to see Ward move straight up to cruiserweight now either, though I don't think the likes of Beterbiev are ready for him. Stevenson certainly won't fight him, even if he wasn't on Showtime rather than HBO; not sure Alvarez would want that fight even if he beats Adonis either. And fuck watching Ward vs. DeGale. Looking at the division as it stands, I can see why Ward is contemplating moving up in weight; there's no real money fight at 175lbs.

13 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Alvarez v GGG on BT sport box office it seems fucking joke for the fans that have backed box nation from the start if true of course

seems like its happening tho

So Sky will be going for Mayweather vs McGregor then. 

I've got a feeling that Canelo vs GGG is going to bomb in the US on PPV sales due to the Floyd/Conor match. How many people are going to fork out $200 for two fights in two weeks? 

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

So Sky will be going for Mayweather vs McGregor then. 

I've got a feeling that Canelo vs GGG is going to bomb in the US on PPV sales due to the Floyd/Conor match. How many people are going to fork out $200 for two fights in two weeks? 

Same mate and tbh I'd rather watch GGG v Canelo I think Floyd v McGregor is a piss take that's gonna be hyped to fuck. I'll prob still watch for the event tho

Confirmed as PPV event so box nation can get fucked cancelling my sub with them bastards 

ALVAREZGOLOVKIN

T-MOBILE ARENA, LAS VEGAS

LIVE ON PPV

SEP

THE WBC, IBF & WBA ‘SUPER’ WORLD TITLES

The world was waiting. A fight between Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and fearsome Middleweight monster Gennady Golovkin had been top of boxing fans’ wishlists for a long time.

In May the bout was finally confirmed and the pound-for-pound kings will meet in the ring on September 16th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, live on PPV in the UK & Ireland. More details on how to watch this mouth-watering Middleweight clash will be announced soon.

Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) will be defending his WBC, IBF, IBO and WBA ‘Super’ World Titles against Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs), who has held belts in the Super-Welterweight and Middleweight divisions.

The Kazakhstan crusher had been calling for a fight with Canelo for around 18 months and now, aged 35, gets his wish granted to set up the most eagerly-anticipated fight of 2017.

Last time out, Golovkin outpointed talented American Daniel Jacobs but seemed to lack his usual bite, leading to some suggestions that he may be showing his age. However prior to that bout ‘Triple G’ had formed a frightening streak of 23 straight knockouts.

In total he has made 18 title defences and as well as that Jacobs victory, his record includes dominant wins over David Lemieux, Kell Brook and Martin Murray. Canelo, though, is without doubt his toughest assignment to date.

Since dropping a decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr in September 2013, Alvarez has beaten the likes of Miguel Cotto, Erislandy Lara, Liam Smith and most recently Mexican rival Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. The 26-year-old has also recorded brutal knockouts against Amir Khan and James Kirkland, displaying his savage power.

Canelo had not fought above 155 pounds before his grudge match with Chavez Jr, where the contracted weight limit was 164.5, just over the Middleweight limit.

The winner of this match-up will turn their attentions towards the final belt-holder in the division Billy Joe Saunders, as nobody has held all four major Middleweight belts since Bernard Hopkins between 2004 and 2005.

Two of boxing’s biggest names will finally go to battle on September 16th in a blockbuster bout in the bright lights of Las Vegas. The world will be watching.

I think Canelo will beat GGG.

Swarming pressure fighters tend to decline, and decline quickly, in their 30's. At 35, Golovkin is an old man for that fighting style.

Yes he has more in his arsenal than the basics, but Canelo is good enough to exploit anything that father time has taken away.

2-3yrs ago, this was a comfortable GGG win. Now.... not so sure, and swinging to Canelo.

Golden Boy are not going to put their cash cow in a fight unless they think they are are going to win.

The 2 reasons this is happening

1) Golovkin has built up a big enough star, and fights been years in making, built up a big enough interest to make big PPV numbers. Canelo already had a big star.

2) Golden Boy feel that age has brought GGG down a level.

10 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Cerrone v Lawler moved to UFC 214 :( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

I was pure looking forward to that fight 

Dana quoted in an mmajunkie article saying he wont be ready for 214 (Cerrone)

However, announced on UFC Tonight is that Woodley vs Maia is confirmed for 214 instead (personally more excited about the thought of Donald vs Robbie...)

Winner of Woodley Maia to face GSP at MSG... probably, if it's not Bisping or Conor fighting him :lol:

5 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Dana quoted in an mmajunkie article saying he wont be ready for 214 (Cerrone)

However, announced on UFC Tonight is that Woodley vs Maia is confirmed for 214 instead (personally more excited about the thought of Donald vs Robbie...)

Winner of Woodley Maia to face GSP at MSG... probably, if it's not Bisping or Conor fighting him :lol:

Can't wait for that fight as well, rooting for Maia but it will be a tough fight for him. 

Ye see JDS is fighting Ngannou at 215? Poor cunt :lol: fuck fighting Francis Ngannou man, guys like 250 pounds of pure strength, that Kimura he put on Anthony Hamilton was disgusting! He just ripped his arms right into Kimura with sheer strength :lol: