Jump to content
Skelf

The Boxing News Thread

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I think Lomachenko is up there if not the clear leader in the pound for pound stakes, but Crawford would murder him.

Just too big a weight difference.

I mean yeah, conventional wisdom says that, but we're living in a world where a 5'5" former flyweight champion beat a 5'11" light-middleweight with a 72" reach. There are ways and means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Joshua-Parker on 31 March at the Millennium.

Parker has looked far from convincing in the fights I’ve seen, should be a decent match-up for AJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JamieD said:

I mean yeah, conventional wisdom says that, but we're living in a world where a 5'5" former flyweight champion beat a 5'11" light-middleweight with a 72" reach. There are ways and means.

Who's this? Is it Manny V De la Hoya or Margarito?

Meant to ask you the last time. What's your opinion on Calzaghe. Do you think he dodged people? Pavlik did look that way with it always seeming to get abandoned because of call offs. Do you think he deserves to be thought of as a boxing great at world level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, William McBeath said:

Who's this? Is it Manny V De la Hoya or Margarito?

Meant to ask you the last time. What's your opinion on Calzaghe. Do you think he dodged people? Pavlik did look that way with it always seeming to get abandoned because of call offs. Do you think he deserves to be thought of as a boxing great at world level?

I meant Margarito, yeah.

It's hard to argue with Calzaghe's record. Undefeated is undefeated. Fights that should have been made weren't though, there's no denying that, and when you're the A-side with all the power you have to take the bulk of the blame. Pavlik and Glen Johnson spring to mind. I think the Lacy and Hopkins wins should be enough to show he would have more than likely dealt with either of them though.

I know there must have been more on his punches than there seemed to be, or else people would have just walked through him, but he really did look like he was slapping, and I never liked to watch it. When he fought Lacy it was like watching an amateur somehow dominate someone. Almost every punch was a blatantly telegraphed hook with what looked like the palm, but it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JamieD said:

I meant Margarito, yeah.

It's hard to argue with Calzaghe's record. Undefeated is undefeated. Fights that should have been made weren't though, there's no denying that, and when you're the A-side with all the power you have to take the bulk of the blame. Pavlik and Glen Johnson spring to mind. I think the Lacy and Hopkins wins should be enough to show he would have more than likely dealt with either of them though.

I know there must have been more on his punches than there seemed to be, or else people would have just walked through him, but he really did look like he was slapping, and I never liked to watch it. When he fought Lacy it was like watching an amateur somehow dominate someone. Almost every punch was a blatantly telegraphed hook with what looked like the palm, but it worked.

Yeah it used to annoy me sometimes but most of it was fast short punches. I liked him. That's why I meant to ask the last time because I do remember a lot of off/on pish with the Pavlik fight. His ability seemed top class though and he always looked good. I remember him not doing the slappy stuff when he was younger and beat the likes of Eubank. Proper fast accurate bang on the button punches and combinations were what he done. I think I read he used to do it when his hands were giving him trouble. He did have fucked hands a lot. Got to give him credit for the Hopkins and Roy Jones wins. Hopkins still won world titles afterwards and Jones was still good and the similar age. I think he'd have been a genuine handful for most of the all time greats if they were the same size. Always turned up and put on a show. 

Pretty chuffed I picked that Margarito :lol: Just thought it must have been Manny as it's a bit freaky that he was able to be world champ at some many divisions. Especially as he was a KO merchant in them all. Don't think I even watched that fight. That Margarito is one of the worst boxers I've seen at that level. Just seems to follows people around letting them beat the shit out of his face hoping to get lucky with a hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the Lomachenko v Rigondeaux fight. Pretty poor spectacle but Lomachenko is just absurd. He's so advanced it's like he's competing in a different sport to everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lomachenko's promoter is a bit OTT with his praise but probably not wrong. He keeps outclassing people. Thinks he would also make Garcia quit

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

Lomachenko's promoter is a bit OTT with his praise but probably not wrong. He keeps outclassing people. Thinks he would also make Garcia quit

  

 

The guys he fights have no balls. He fought Salido, got roughed up and lost. Way too overhyped and he fought a guy who moved up two weight divisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

The guys he fights have no balls. He fought Salido, got roughed up and lost. Way too overhyped and he fought a guy who moved up two weight divisions. 

In his 2nd professional fight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

The guys he fights have no balls. He fought Salido, got roughed up and lost. Way too overhyped and he fought a guy who moved up two weight divisions. 

I thought he was a bit over hyped but he's proving to be the real deal and has easily beaten good fighters like Russell, Walters, and now Rigo. His record of taking hard fights so quickly is unusual. Russell had 26 fights and Lomachenko only 4 when they fought. These are not the typical early bums like you mention.  I don't see anyone beaten him outwith maybe Crawford and he's moving up from 140 so it can't happen anytime soon. Salido pulled out of a rematch. Who do you see beating him if he's overhyped? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

In his 2nd professional fight...

So what? He is being mentioned alongside Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. Let's just wait and see. Let's see him fight against Garcia. Rigondeaux was also 37. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also what money did the fight make? If no one outside the boxing fraternity is interested then you don't make any real money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

Also what money did the fight make? If no one outside the boxing fraternity is interested then you don't make any real money. 

Lomachenko had $1.2m guaranteed but don't know about PPVs on top of that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keithgersbear said:

The guys he fights have no balls. He fought Salido, got roughed up and lost. Way too overhyped and he fought a guy who moved up two weight divisions. 

Do you actually watch him or just read the results and stats? Who else do you see in boxing with skills like his?

Salido was about a stone heavier and punched him in the balls with impunity all night. He learned from it.

He has beaten 5 world champions, 3 unbeaten fighters and made 4 men quit. In 11 fights. Only in a sport where the aim is to have no entertainment or excitement at all could he be "way too overhyped".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JamieD said:

Do you actually watch him or just read the results and stats? Who else do you see in boxing with skills like his?

Salido was about a stone heavier and punched him in the balls with impunity all night. He learned from it.

He has beaten 5 world champions, 3 unbeaten fighters and made 4 men quit. In 11 fights. Only in a sport where the aim is to have no entertainment or excitement at all could he be "way too overhyped".

His amatuer record is probably the best ever. It is simply impossible to achieve such a record in the amateurs without being very, very good on a technical level.

The Salido fight was the best boxing lesson he ever will get. Sure, the referee wasn't great and let Salido away with a lot - but it's pro boxing. Likewise in modern boxing, fighting a top level grizzled pro like Salido in the 2nd fight of a career is unheard of. Salido failed to make weight as well and went into the ring too big and too experienced.

I've watched boxing pretty much all my life, work gets in the way a lot these days and I'm not as familiar as I was 5yrs ago. However, Lomachenko is very special. His footwork is the best I've ever seen, and that isn't hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JamieD said:

Do you actually watch him or just read the results and stats? Who else do you see in boxing with skills like his?

Salido was about a stone heavier and punched him in the balls with impunity all night. He learned from it.

He has beaten 5 world champions, 3 unbeaten fighters and made 4 men quit. In 11 fights. Only in a sport where the aim is to have no entertainment or excitement at all could he be "way too overhyped".

Salido did what was required to win and he beat him. That is the point. Before comparisons start being made of the all time greats, let's start seeing more of him, let's put Garcia in with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Tyson accepts a back dated 2 year ban. I wonder if this was the fastest way to get back to try and get back to boxing or if he really was a cheat. Also was the positive test not taken from before he won the titles therefore would he be stripped of his win 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, james_85 said:

Big Tyson accepts a back dated 2 year ban. I wonder if this was the fastest way to get back to try and get back to boxing or if he really was a cheat. Also was the positive test not taken from before he won the titles therefore would he be stripped of his win 

They’ve cancelled his win over Hammer but not Klitschko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fight night on tele and the game on the other, what a scrap that is with Connor Benn, the lad just ain't making to the top. Gutsy comeback but no way he won that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

BJS looking really impressive tonight.

Yep that was a great performance. 

Dont like the bloke but that was impressive. 

Thought lemieuxs comments were sour grapes aswell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a good win, in impressive fashion, for Saunders. Lemeuix is a proven fringe guy, with dangerous power. His resume is starting to look half decent with wins over Eubank, Lee, Monroe and now Lemeuix.

His lack of power will be his downfall though, he has the skills and southpaw stance. I just don't think he will keep top guys off of him for 12 rounds. However, with GGG on the decline and retiring soon, there only really is Canelo as a top guy in that division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Badger said:

That was a good win, in impressive fashion, for Saunders. Lemeuix is a proven fringe guy, with dangerous power. His resume is starting to look half decent with wins over Eubank, Lee, Monroe and now Lemeuix.

His lack of power will be his downfall though, he has the skills and southpaw stance. I just don't think he will keep top guys off of him for 12 rounds. However, with GGG on the decline and retiring soon, there only really is Canelo as a top guy in that division.

Yeah that is a good win. Think he comes across like a bully rather than just someone having a laugh whilst trash talking and that maybe makes me underestimate him. I can usually get behind any British fighter too but he just always comes across as a prick. As you say though, don't think he's dangerous enough to keep the likes of Canelo, GGG, or even the boy Jacobs off him. Shame GGG nearly finished as only Jacobs looks capable of giving Canelo problems now.

Edit. Just seen the full fight and kudos to Saunders. He completely schooled him and won nearly every round. Think he must give anyone a decent fight as he's a lot better than I thought. Looks good for British boxing right now with the likes of him, Joshua, Fury, Eubanks, and up and comers like Yarde, Taylor, and more.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frampton fighting Donaire next year confirmed.

Tought fight for him, will have to be at his best. Something he wasn't the other month there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khan signs to Matchroom for 3 fights, Should make both plenty of money and hopefully see Brook v Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×