Boxing and MMA

Been thinking of starting this thread for a wee while now for those who are big boxing fans like myself of the sweet science. Will try bring the latest news as much as possibe, if anyone else hears anything before me please post all opinions and fight news, Well first fight that we are looking forward to in 2011, one fight that we were looking forward to was Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao but fight still hasn't happened as yet because of floyds upcoming court case over offences of battery and theft. Manny Pacquiao will be facing Shane Mosley at the MGM Grand on the 7/05/2011 which is going to be a good fight but would rather have seen him going in with WBC and The Ring magazine champion Sergio Martinez but possibly a step to far up the weights for someone who started his career at flyweight.. Shane will be too old and slow against Manny and will be his last fight and will realise he has had a great career and hang up the gloves , but if he catches manny with the same punches he caught Floyd mayweather with you never know. British world champions fighting this year- Looks like WBA Junion welterweight champion Amir Khan will be fighting #6 ranked Lamont Peterson who drew on the under card of Khans fight with Maidana against #2 ranked Victor Ortiz which seems strange considering Ortiz is the much better fighter and should go and fight Ortiz. Waiting in line for Khan will be the winner of Devon Alexander and Timothy Bradley which Bradley wins for me. can't see Khan winning against Bradley who is a far superior fighter IMO. David Hayes on/off fight with Wladimir Klitschko hit dead wood last week after Wladimir opted to fight unbeaten British and Commonwealth Heavyweight champion Dereck Chisora on the april the 30th but still wanted to fight Haye on 2nd July which was too close and could get injured causing the fight to be cancelled , really on Davids side on this one here, Wladimir wanted fight on april with Haye but couldn't because Amir Khans fight on same month which Sky Box office wouldn't have 2 PPV on same month. Looks as though haye will be forced to fight #1 ranked by Ruslan Chagaev in germany due to the Uzbekistan fighter having Hepatitis B and wouldn't be allowed to fight in the UK under British boxing board of control rules. Will update later with Carl Froch progress and maybe that wee ta**ier c*nt from coatbridge Ricky Burns(aka paper champion)laugh.gif cheerz uk.gif

I'm chocking for pac man v mayweather fight to happen & give the boxing world the fight we all want to see!!

Tell me about it. After mosley fight its got to happen. Im afraid they r not getting any younger and we won't see prime fighters in the ring IMO

y Terence Dooley

Ricky Hatton appeared on Sky's Ringside boxing program to?discuss the latest wave of British boxing talent.? Hatton spoke highly of Scott Quigg and Joe Murray, both of whom box for his promotional company.? Sky's Adam Smith asked Ricky if he plans to lace up the gloves again in the wake of a recent return to the rigors of the gym, prompting an optimistic response from the former linear light-welterweight champion.

"I'm fantastic, I'm in a nice place now.? I'm in the gym again and getting fit.? My hands are tied a little at the minute but eventually I will apply for my (fighter's) license, and when I do, I can make a decision about my future.? I'm still involved in boxing.? I'm bringing the champions through and am back enjoying life again," revealed Hatton.?

"I don't know," he mused when pressed on his fighting career.? "You need that hunger there.? I'm training at the Bob Shannon gym with my brother (Matthew Hatton) and Denton Vassell but it is different training to be fit than being in a training camp where you're dieting and up running at six.? I miss it (boxing) every day and I can never find the words even to this day to turn around and say it's over."

Hatton has not fought since his 2009 defeat to Philippine tornado Manny Pacquiao, 'The Hitman' lost his IBO 140-pound?title in that one as well as his status as the division's number one.? Ricky, though, has had time to get the defeat out of his system and could be feeling the itch once again, especially with the likes of Quigg and Murray forging ahead under Hatton's guidance, not to mention the recent rise of Matthew, who has stated his willingness to travel abroad for a fight with rising star Saul Alvarez.

Ricky's 2005 win over Kostya Tszyu represented the high water mark of a career that saw the boy from Manchester win almost every honor in the game, only falling short when fighting pound for pounders Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao.? Hatton holds a 45-2(32) record; he simultaneously held the IBF and WBA titles during his pomp.

So there we have it. Aye or naw. Any thoughts

Khan is no longer fighting Petersen aparently wanted a kings ransom to get in the ring with Amir so a deal is being struck with European title holder and undeafeted Paul McCloskey , link to story below :

Amir Khan

Yep was reading bout that. I would like him to fight victor ortiz or a maidana rematch as that last fight was fight of the year imo

Khan's next fight was always gona be a B-level opponent as he gears up for a unification fight in late summer with the winner of Bradley or Alexander. Alexander is shit tho, lost to Kotelnik IMO, who Khan schooled so I expect Bradley to win a comfortable decision.

Think khan will unifi his division comfortably think Maidina was his best oponent in that division think he will fight the winner if Bradley and Alexander win that fight them move up a weight division

A think Haye will only get to fight 1 of the Klitschkos toward the end of the year before he retires and will win

There is alot of good British talent comin threw really like the look of Kell Brook looks a great fight in all his fights av seen so far also Cleverly and al though a don't like him DeGale has the potential to go far

And am not a big fan of Rickey Burns either don't think he's that great a fighter but is a world champion none the less

Ricky Burns is defending his WBO title against Jospeh Laryea (the guy who beat Paul Appleby on the undercard at the Burns/Evensen fight) on the 12th of March (tu)

Jospeh Laryea is ranked #10 by the WBO, Burns is just a paper cchampion who is keeping the title warm until he comes up against a real fighter, although Martinez was best in division who he won title that night in kelvin hall,( I was there). poorlennon.gif

Jospeh Laryea is ranked #10 by the WBO, Burns is just a paper cchampion who is keeping the title warm until he comes up against a real fighter, although Martinez was best in division who he won title that night in kelvin hall,( I was there). poorlennon.gif

Ricky is world champion because he worked hard for it and he deserves to be it.. its unfair to dismiss him as a paper champion, you might not think hes a good fighter but the gold around his waist states otherwise. How can you say a real fighter will come along and beat him, then in the same sentence say he beat the best fighter in the division?

He may not seem like the best boxer but he steps it up against the better opponents, like he did against Martinez (I was also there), and on his day is capable of beating most people you could put infront of him, ofcourse there are better boxers out there and one day one of them will beat him, but until then can you not just give the guy some credit?

As ive said he worked really hard to get to where he is and he fully deserves it.

Ps hes not a T*rrier nor is he a cunt (tu)

Until Haye-Klitschko or Mayweather-Pacquiao gets made I'm taking a step back from following boxing. I cant be doing with it just now.

Bradley-Alexander should be a cracker though. Bradley will win.

vitalli - solis could be a good fight. solis even though is a bit of a fatty nowadays is a step up in class with a good pedigree, better than bloody chisora anyways.

alexander been quoted if he wins, theres no need to fight khan, Bradley saying the winner has to so hoping for a bradley win.

Ricky is world champion because he worked hard for it and he deserves to be it.. its unfair to dismiss him as a paper champion, you might not think hes a good fighter but the gold around his waist states otherwise. How can you say a real fighter will come along and beat him, then in the same sentence say he beat the best fighter in the division?

He may not seem like the best boxer but he steps it up against the better opponents, like he did against Martinez (I was also there), and on his day is capable of beating most people you could put infront of him, ofcourse there are better boxers out there and one day one of them will beat him, but until then can you not just give the guy some credit?

As ive said he worked really hard to get to where he is and he fully deserves it.

Did you miss the rosary beads round his neck walking into the ring?? or parading around celtic park with his new belt and accepting a signed celtic shirt off lennon?? the night he won at kelvin hall he fought well but because of the way he fed off the crown, why I am criticising him is there is other champions in the division that he should be going for........ until he holds the ring magazine title he will never get praise off me....... or ever00000042.gif

I hear Amir Khan may be having a fight against Alex Reid just something I heard a lassie at work say last week, wasnt paying attention as was busy working. Any truth on this, seems a bit strange considering Khan is a boxer and Reid is a cage fighter. confused.com <cr>

Quote from burns before martinez fight "I've never met Neil Lennon but one of my friends is friendly with him and apparently he has given Neil my number," said Burns."Neil said he was going to give me a phone before the fight to wish me all the best so I hope he does and I'm looking forward to getting the chance to speak to the man himself.

"I got a 'good luck' top from all the Celtic players. I'm going to get it framed and it's definitely one for the living room.

"I want to say a big thanks to all the lads in the Celtic team for doing it for me - it's much appreciated."

T*rrier evidence.......My link

I dont care how much "evidence" you throw my way, Im Rickys mate, I know he isn't a T*rrier.. he supports no-one. Ive said this on here a few times actually but no-one ever listens, always get ppl askin me to explain the roasary beads and getting a signed celtic top etc etc, turns into a an argument goin back and forward, he is, he isn't, he is blah blah so Im not gonna waste my breath if u want to believe hes a T*rrier then fine Im jus telling you hes not..

Ps he wasn't paraded around parkhead <cr> he was at hampden but never parkhead

I dont care how much "evidence" you throw my way, Im Rickys mate, I know he isn't a T*rrier.. he supports no-one. Ive said this on here a few times actually but no-one ever listens, always get ppl askin me to explain the roasary beads and getting a signed celtic top etc etc, turns into a an argument goin back and forward, he is, he isn't, he is blah blah so Im not gonna waste my breath if u want to believe hes a T*rrier then fine Im jus telling you hes not..

Ps he wasn't paraded around parkhead <cr> he was at hampden but never parkhead

That's all very well if he is a mate of yours you are going defend him its natural, will give him credit when/if he unify the titles, but why is he going for the #10 ranked by the WBO? ps is the picture on his wall as he said he was going to place it???laugh.gif