Sign in to follow this  
Skelf

The Boxing News Thread

38 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Amazing the amount of folk saying that's an embarrassment and saying Ruiz is a nobody just because they don't see him on Sky Sports every few months.

That outcome isn't close to being the upset it's being made out to be. Andy Ruiz can fight and he'll probably give him another pasting in the rematch as well.

Of course its an embarrassment ūü§£

He lost to an out of shape boxer who had 5 weeks to prepare. A guy who lost to the extremely average Parker and has not fought anybody of note outside that defeat.

sassaaaa likes this

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He lost to an out of shape boxer who had 5 weeks to prepare. A guy who lost to the extremely average Parker and has not fought anybody of note outside that defeat.

Tbf, I think many felt he beat Parker (in New Zealand) but didn't get the decision.

Ruiz is a funny one, his body doesn't give the impression he is any good or trains hard but... looked the more in condition fighter last night.

His feet and hands are as good as anyone in the division, just he lacks height. Joshua fought him tactically wrong and got caught with a big shot that he never recovered from.

His behaviour after the fight makes me question him mentally though. Far too happy to lose.

Bristol loyal likes this

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Tbf, I think many felt he beat Parker but didn't get the decision.

It was a very close fight but many including 'experts' also had it as a close Parker win/draw.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Tbf, I think many felt he beat Parker but didn't get the decision.

Parker was the fair winner in it imo. Ruiz didn’t do nearly enough for me although it was close 

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Said in his interview he had been in training camp for 15 weeks. Either had a fight lined up or he was expecting an opportunity as it seemed to be common knowledge that Miller was juiced out his tits.

His loss to Parker was a controversial decision and he's always been out of shape but it clearly doesn't effect his speed or power.

I said earlier in the thread I thought AJ would beat him in 6 rounds so I don't disagree that it's a shock but certainly not an embarrassment.

6 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Said in his interview he had been in training camp for 15 weeks. Either had a fight lined up or he was expecting an opportunity as it seemed to be common knowledge that Miller was juiced out his tits.

His loss to Parker was a controversial decision and he's always been out of shape but it clearly doesn't effect his speed or power.

I said earlier in the thread I thought AJ would beat him in 6 rounds so I don't disagree that it's a shock but certainly not an embarrassment.

Ruiz had back to back training camps having fought Dimitrenko in April.

Dimitrenko preperation would be similar to Joshua too, being a big, orthodox and upright fighter.

Ruiz was well prepared despite short notice.

It's embarassing simply because how Ruiz is percieved due to looking like he sets up training camp in Taco Bell. But.... Ruiz is a good boxer and it's a HW contest.

41 minutes ago, Badger said:

Ruiz had back to back training camps having fought Dimitrenko in April.

Dimitrenko preperation would be similar to Joshua too, being a big, orthodox and upright fighter.

Ruiz was well prepared despite short notice.

It's embarassing simply because how Ruiz is percieved due to looking like he sets up training camp in Taco Bell. But.... Ruiz is a good boxer and it's a how contest.

Exactly,

Ruiz is fat etc  but the guy has only been beat once

In my option he beats AJ again better boxer and he can take a punch unlike AJ who looked lost in there

wanted out ASAP spat his gum shield out and walked away from the ref 

Ref knew he was done and called it right in my opinion 

plus AJ’s corner trainer did not have a clue thier tactics advice were piss poor to say the least

35 minutes ago, Cooperson said:

Exactly,

In my option he beats AJ again better boxer and he can take a punch unlike AJ who looked lost in there

plus AJ’s corner trainer did not have a clue thier tactics advice were piss poor to say the least

AJ could do worse than have a long chat with Wlad before planning his next move.

Wlad was also a tall, upright and stiff fighter with questionable stamina and chin. He turned it around and with the help of Steward became dominant. They are quite similar, just Joshua has had his career managed better.

Joshua should have had Ruiz at the end of a ram rod jab, and when he got inside spoiled him, tied him up and leaned on him. His inside game was appalling last night - he just let Ruiz into the pocket unanswered and barely any spoiling. It's not pretty but its what you need to do sometimes.

This patient stalking style Joshua has doesn't cover his weakness or enhance his strengths.

I really do think he should split with McCracken. Like all coaching relationships, things eventually run their course.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

AJ could do worse than have a long chat with Wlad before planning his next move.

Wlad was also a tall, upright and stiff fighter with questionable stamina and chin. He turned it around and with the help of Steward became dominant. They are quite similar, just Joshua has had his career managed better.

Joshua should have had Ruiz at the end of a ram rod jab, and when he got inside spoiled him, tied him up and leaned on him. His inside game was appalling last night - he just let Ruiz into the pocket unanswered and barely any spoiling. It's not pretty but its what you need to do sometimes.

This patient stalking style Joshua has doesn't cover his weakness or enhance his strengths.

I really do think he should split with McCracken. Like all coaching relationships, things eventually run their course.

Totally agree

I thought McCracken was poor and didn’t know what to do either 

There was no tactics of sort if any 

Joshua needs to freshen it up, ie new coach , new approach

30 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He won't though. That wasn't a fluke last night, it's not like he was caught by a freak shot and didn't get up. He was battered for 7 rounds.

He was beaten by the better fighter on the night. Probably get beat again in the rematch.

5 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Wilder and Fury will be dying for a crack at this guy.........

They obviously aren't. The 3 of them are an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He won't though. That wasn't a fluke last night, it's not like he was caught by a freak shot and didn't get up. He was battered for 7 rounds.

Tbf the turning point was Joshua jumping in after putting him down in the 3rd leading to him being caught with 2 absolute bangers in the inside from ruiz and he never ever recovered his legs from that 1st knock down . You could tell he was shot .

If as Badger says he just sat behind his ram rod jab for a bit and picked off ruiz trying to come in he would have walked that fight last night .

Good show from Ruiz and a terrible showing from AJ.

Rangers#1 and Bristol loyal like this

On 01/06/2019 at 14:36, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Won't make a difference if he does. He called out Fury after the Klitschko fight and then fought Takam instead.

Then he promised Whyte live on TV that he was next in line if the Wilder/Fury fights couldn't be made but then made the Jarrell Miller deal instead.

He's as guilty of dodging fights as the rest of them.

Tbf Whyte turned them down cause they all know they can make more money from fighting AJ in 1 night than in 5 other fights so they push for more of the purse and Hearn being a greedy bastard won't cave in . Same goes for Wilder and Fury it's got nothing to do with belts it's all about the money and you can throw in AJ as well all about cash these days.

22 minutes ago, Orangeclement said:

Tbf the turning point was Joshua jumping in after putting him down in the 3rd leading to him being caught with 2 absolute bangers in the inside from ruiz and he never ever recovered his legs from that 1st knock down . You could tell he was shot .

If as Badger says he just sat behind his ram rod jab for a bit and picked off ruiz trying to come in he would have walked that fight last night .

Aye,  bell saved him in the third.

He rocked Ruiz a few times but didn't seem to have any real effect :lol: 

No sure he's a good/clever enough boxer to keep Ruiz at arms length.

1 hour ago, Orangeclement said:

I don't think Joshua looked comfortable right from the start of the fight tbh. The fact that Ruiz seized the centre of the ring and was happy to engage seemed to really unsettle him.

1 hour ago, Rangers#1 said:

Aye,  bell saved him in the third.

He rocked Ruiz a few times but didn't seem to have any real effect :lol: 

No sure he's a good/clever enough boxer to keep Ruiz at arms length.

I don't know what he was thinking tbh you could see his knockdown was just a stun and Ruiz wasn't really shaken by it and yet he steamed in going for the finish something you expect from a 5 fight novice tbh.

It's not like the knockdown was like the Smith fight where the boy was out for a few seconds his eyes were still rolling 15 seconds later ūüėā

Rangers#1 likes this

Joshua's problem is he's too easy to hit, no head movement and far too muscular and bulky so always susceptible to gassing. That said, it was a strange performance from him, can't figure out if Ruiz was just too good for him on the night or Joshua just wasn't on it - prob abit of both. Problem Joshua has now is every serious how will fancy their chances against him now and will know if you keep pressure on him and get him back peddling he may not have the answers. The rematch is absolutely massive for him now, as Hearn said he has to win (nothing like pressure). Remember when David Price was blowing people away in his early days then suddenly he got beat, his confidence was shot, and every seems to know how to beat him...hope the same doesn't happen to Joshua. 

6 hours ago, Cooperson said:

Exactly,

Nope AJ's corner gave him good advice, he just didn't follow it, jab jab right every round they told him, AJ never once threw that combo, he allowed ruiz to get close where reach advantage is negated and its all down to hand speed, which AJ has less than ruiz

Next fight AJ needs to keep his distance, wear ruiz down with the jab, get ruiz frustrated and get him rushing in, then AJ can pick him off, hell if he needs to AJ just keep him at arms length with the jab and go the distance, he'll win it on points

Not many in the how division have hand speed and movement like ruiz, a lot are bigger guys that like to swop jabs and try land power punches, definitely the first that AJ has fought like that 

Jamie0202 likes this

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Nope AJ's corner gave him good advice, he just didn't follow it, jab jab right every round they told him, AJ never once threw that combo, he allowed ruiz to get close where reach advantage is negated and its all down to hand speed, which AJ has less than ruiz

Next fight AJ needs to keep his distance, wear ruiz down with the jab, get ruiz frustrated and get him rushing in, then AJ can pick him off, hell if he needs to AJ just keep him at arms length with the jab and go the distance, he'll win it on points

Not many in the how division have hand speed and movement like ruiz, a lot are bigger guys that like to swop jabs and try land power punches, definitely the first that AJ has fought like that 

I think if Joshua takes the tactics he showed against Parker he can win on points, but easier said than done. I don't think Ruiz is getting the credit he deserves - he's got a good chin,fast hands and surprisingly seems to have good stamina. Joshua's problem in the second fight will be how he stops the constant pressure from Ruiz, keeping Ruiz at bay and moving all fight will be tiring for AJ - I can see Ruiz stopping him late when AJ gases. Where AJ goes after a second defeat is difficult to know - it's be a long way back. 

I know it's easy to say from a keyboard but I'd rather just get knocked out than quit in the corner. Tyson Fury will beat Wilder (officially) and then fight Joshua at the end of next year for all the belts as I think Joshua will get them back off Ruiz near the end of this year. Think he will put it right. He needs to work on conditioning and lose muscle. Having too much muscle is not good. It uses up too much oxygen and you just get tired.

Ruiz didn't just beat Joshua he beat the shit out of him. It was like Mcgregor vs Khabib. Just a beat down.