Boxing and MMA

Awful fight, but no less than I expected. Even a prime Hopkins would have struggled with the style of Chad Dawson.

See Dawson called out Andre Ward after the fight. Stylistically, that is an incredibly horrible fight, and I would back Ward to win.

Don't see how one judge had it even, probably sympathetic towards Hopkins. Right man won in the end though and that's what matters in the end.

Malinaggi has just won the welterweight WBA title in Ukraine against a poor looking sechenko

Looks like a fight with Devon Alexander is next

Kell Brook already ruled out

Thats amazing that Malignaggi managed to become a 2 weight world champ, unbelievable really

Thats amazing that Malignaggi managed to become a 2 weight world champ, unbelievable really

When you have all these ridiculous titles , it was always going to happen

Diamond champ blah blah blah

I'm sure that's IBF and WBA he has

Can't see him getting the one every fighter wants, WBC

Alexander will dispose of him no problem after seeing him against maidana

When you have all these ridiculous titles , it was always going to happen

Diamond champ blah blah blah

I'm sure that's IBF and WBA he has

Can't see him getting the one every fighter wants, WBC

Alexander will dispose of him no problem after seeing him against maidana

i disagree, Malignaggi has won 2 legitimate world titles.

there are 4 genuine world titles in each weight class.

at welter, mayweather has one he won from Ortiz, pacman has one, Berto recently vacated his and it will be won by Mike Jones who will be a worthy WW title holder.

And Senchenko had the 4th, he held this one for a long time but has always been hidden away in the Ukraine.

fair play to Malignaggi, he stepped up in weight, went to the liosn den and took the title away from him by winning by stoppage is an outstanding result.

it's alot diferent from a paper champ such as Povetkin, who was given Wlad's belt and they made him "super champion" for the sole purpose of giving the division a bit more interest.

I'm not so sure Devon would beat Malignaggi either, Malignaggi is a proper boxer with excellent skill. Devon is just an akward spoiler. Would be close though.

The WBC is a horrid as any other alphabet organisation, Jose Suliaman is a shameless crook.

World titles have never been so worthless.

I'm no fan of Devon A, but he'd take Malignaggi without much trouble.

Any good fighter that malinaggi has fought he has been beaten

Hatton

Khan

Cotto

Diaz ( although he did beat him)

He is a tricky customer to pin down just like naz

But he can't punch his way out a wet paper bag

Any good fighter that malinaggi has fought he has been beaten

Hatton

Khan

Cotto

Diaz ( although he did beat him)

He is a tricky customer to pin down just like naz

But he can't punch his way out a wet paper bag

i thought the same, i never rated his power at all, and that was at 140 never mind 147. But Senchenko was no easy opponent and he stopped him, he really messed his eye up, so who knows, it's not impossible to improve in that area, or maybe he is just more suited to 147 to allow him to gain more strength in his upper body and get more behind his shots.

give him his dues though, hatton/khan/cotto are/were 3 world class fighters in the 140 division, not shame in losing to them.

i would pick him, just, over Devon imo, i think he's a better, sharper and mroe skileld fighter. I cant see him holding the belt for too long though, wouldnt give him much of a shot at all against ortiz/berto/jones/brook/bradley/winner of khan v pete

The WBC is a horrid as any other alphabet organisation, Jose Suliaman is a shameless crook.

World titles have never been so worthless.

I'm no fan of Devon A, but he'd take Malignaggi without much trouble.

The WBC need to fuck off.

I think world titles are worthless to the extent that winning one doesn't actually mean you're the best fighter in the division, but the belts do create fights and they give fighters bigger pay days and more opportunities.

The WBC need to fuck off.

I think world titles are worthless to the extent that winning one doesn't actually mean you're the best fighter in the division, but the belts do create fights and they give fighters bigger pay days and more opportunities.

Winning a world title doesn't signify anything, nothing. The rankings are a sham and they consistently pander to the bigger names, bending and making rules as they go.

They make the SFA look holier than thou.

You are right though, the casual fan is naturally more attracted to a "world title fight", which in itself is also damaging to the sport given the variance in quality on show at these apparent World championship fights.

Winning a world title doesn't signify anything, nothing. The rankings are a sham and they consistently pander to the bigger names, bending and making rules as they go.

They make the SFA look holier than thou.

You are right though, the casual fan is naturally more attracted to a "world title fight", which in itself is also damaging to the sport given the variance in quality on show at these apparent World championship fights.

I don't disagree with anything you say, but there are small advantages for having them. Like Malignaggi for example, winning that title will bring him bigger fights and at least one more decent pay day.

• 3 weeks later...

Berto fails a drug test. Rematch with Ortiz in doubt.

It's getting to the point where it seems like everyone must be on them.

Interesting parallel between Berto and Peterson getting caught using PEDs is that both fighters 'suspected there next opponent might be using PEDs' and 'demanded olympic style drug testing'.

Sound like anyone we know?

Former-BALCO chief Victor Conte was involved with both fighters who tested positive. Shock horror, he has a story ready:

“Andre Berto’s postive test for nandrolone has absolutely nothing to do with me or any supplements I provided. Likely trace contamination.”

“Andre has admitted to taking supplements other than what I provided without my knowledge. Apparently, something was contaminated.”

“This shows that VADA is highly effective. I encouraged Andre to enroll in VADA & he comes up positive. An investigation is being conducted.”

“Several hundred positive tests for nandrolone. I don’t believe they are from using it with intent to cheat. Always from trace contamination.”

“Lots of uneducated people. Nandrolone is the longest lasting steroid known to man. No athlete would ever use it with intent to cheat.”

“Nandrolone is known as the “kiss of death” steroid. Stays in body from minimum of 6 months up to 18 months. No athlete uses it to cheat.”

“Andre has admitted that he was using additional supplements that were no provided to him by me. Will all come out as a part of the process.”

Amur Khan is a snivelling wee prick, trying to get the loss to Peterson changed to a no contest. Anyone read his comments recently? "he felt as strong as two men in there"

I'm pretty sure I read that whatever Peterson pissed hot for it wasn't performance enhancing.

One minute the judges robbed him, the next he was in the ring with the hulk.

Khan has serious ability, but he needs to change his victim mentality if he wants to be great.

Amur Khan is a snivelling wee prick, trying to get the loss to Peterson changed to a no contest. Anyone read his comments recently? "he felt as strong as two men in there"

I'm pretty sure I read that whatever Peterson pissed hot for it wasn't performance enhancing.

One minute the judges robbed him, the next he was in the ring with the hulk.

Khan has serious ability, but he needs to change his victim mentality if he wants to be great.

Khan may be a whinging prick but Peterson is a cheat. There is no doubt about this.

Khan may be a whinging prick but Peterson is a cheat. There is no doubt about this.

Really? As far as i can tell after a bit of reading Peterson was on TRT, which he simply did not declare. If he was a deliberate cheat then having Olympic style testing written into the contract for the Khan rematch is an odd move.

It has been said that the levels of T were not high enough to be performance enhancing.

On the other side, how often does an athlete that gets popped admit it. I can think of one guy (Thiago Silva from the UFC) coming out and saying "I fucked up".

Although he did submit non-human piss :lol:

Really? As far as i can tell after a bit of reading Peterson was on TRT, which he simply did not declare.

Why would you not declare receiving TRT treatment? What a ridiculous excuse.

having Olympic style testing written into the contract for the Khan rematch is an odd move.

The OSDT that Mayweather claims to be so great is lesser than the VADA testing which has caught out Peterson/Berto. Why would you request it? Because he mistakenly thought he could beat it.

Another thing Peterson fails to come up with a good excuse for is where he was diagnosed and treated for his 'hypergonadism'. Surely this would be picked up and treated by your regular doctor where you live and train, Washington DC in Peterson's case? Not 2,500 miles away in Vegas.

I'm still wary of calling Peterson a cheat until all the facts come out. Regardless though, he breached rules by not declaring what he was taking.

A lot of people, Khan included, are praising for Mayweather for cleaning up the sport and calling for drug tests. The style of testing Mayweather asks for wouldn't have caught Peterson or Berto.