Kris Common

Exclusive by Matthew Lindsay

25 Jan 2011

Ted McMinn today told Rangers boss Walter Smith he won’t need to sign a new striker if he succeeds in landing his close friend Kris Commons from Derby County.

For he reckons Scotland star Commons is capable of scoring 15 goals for the Gers from midfield in the second half of the season – and helping them retain the Scottish title.

Rangers cult hero McMinn was delighted to hear that his old club was preparing to make Derby a £450,000 offer for the unsettled 27-year-old.

The Glasgow club had been tracking the player, who is out of contract in the summer, for some time and had intended to snap him on a Bosman free transfer in the summer.

But the departure of top scorer Kenny Miller to Bursaspor for £400,000 last week means they need to strengthen immediately and also have the funds to do so.

McMinn, who was affectionately known as the Tin Man at Ibrox due to his unusual running style, feels Rangers fans will quickly forget about Miller if they get Commons.

He said: “Kris isn’t really a striker as such, but he pitches in with a lot of goals.

“He hasn’t been used regularly in recent weeks, and has been substituted in games and his tally for the season still stands at 14.

“The Rangers fans would love him. He is very similar to Steven Naismith, who has had a superb season, in many respects.

“He is a tireless worker, he is fast, he reads the game brilliantly and has an eye for goal.

“He has a wonderful left foot. He is not quite in the same bracket as Davie Cooper, who I was lucky enough to play with at Rangers, but nobody is. Having said that, he is not far off it. He is a magician with his left foot.

“I think he would be a great signing for Rangers. I think he would love it up there as well. He has the chance to win three trophies – the SPL, the League Cup and the Scottish Cup – and to play in Europe.

“What can he hope to do at Derby? Possibly win the league one year? Maybe win promotion one season? Lift the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy perhaps?

“If he moved to Scotland he could play in the Champions League.

“He has played in derby matches for Nottingham Forest against Derby County and for Derby County against Nottingham Forest. He has also moved from one club to the other and has taken a lot of abuse for it.

“He won’t have experienced anything quite like the Old Firm match or a rivalry as intense as the one between Celtic and Rangers but I am sure he would cope with it with the experience he has gained in his career.” McMinn believes former Stoke City and Nottingham Forest player Commons, who has also been attracting the interest of Celtic in recent weeks, must get away from Derby to revitalise his career.

The seven-times capped player, handed a call-up for his adopted homeland by former national boss George Burley two years ago, has suffered an alarming form slump in recent weeks.

He has been publicly criticised on several occasions by his manager Nigel Clough after refusing to agree an extension to his current deal and has even been involved in on-field bust-ups with team-mates.

McMinn said: “Kris has come in for a lot of stick from the manager. I have found that quite strange. To my mind, you wrap your prize asset in cotton wool. Nigel has publicly criticised him on several occasions.

“If I was Kris and I switched on the radio to hear my manager having a go at me I would be saying: ‘That’s my boss slagging me off there! Do I really want to be here?’

“He hasn’t played well, but, in the circumstances, I’m not surprised.

“The reason he hasn’t signed a new contract is, purely and simply, about money. Kris is the top goalscorer at the club this season and he believes he is not being offered what he is worth.

“His spell of poor form this season started when the speculation about his future started and when his manager started to criticise. That sort of uncertainty can be unsettling.

“He has a manager in one ear saying to him: ‘Sign on the dottted line’. Then he has an agent in his other ear saying: ‘I can get you this elsewhere’. It can be very confusing.”

McMinn added: “He has got involved in a few altercations with his own team-mates as well.

“He is their designated free-kick taker, but in one game this season Alberto Bueno, who is on loan from a club in Spain, tried to take one and they got involved in a disagreement. Afterwards, the manager came out and backed Bueno.

“Personally, with all that going on, I think it is time for a fresh start for Kris. He is still young, just 27, and has a good few years ahead of him at a high level. He would love it at Rangers as well.

“He has had injury problems in the past which curtailed his involvement in the first team, but he has fully recovered from them this season and was playing brilliantly.

“If he went to Rangers he would pitch in with 15 goals easy.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/commons-touch-is-right-for-rangers-1.1081748

What is it with this magic 15 number?

First we had Hateley telling us Kevin Phillips would score 15

Now we have McMinn saying Commons will score 15

No one is going to score 15 goals in 3 months, not at the business end of the season

the magic number is actually 30.

but there is only half the season to go.

I've only seen the lad play for Scotland and he looked better than most of the players around him (not hard I know). I would be quietly optimistic that he would do well for us. The Tin Man speaks very highly of him, almost putting him on a par with the great Davie Cooper. Either Ted's lost the plot or we could have a cracking player (if we get him).

He's left footed though so Smith will probably play him right wing.

Jokes aside (maybe not) I think he would be a fantastic signing for us. Free-kick taker aswell! Something we have been crying out for for years.

Sign him up asap Walter and let him settle in as quickly as possible.

Someone who can take free kicks?

Well that will be a real welcome addition to the squad.

I have never once anticipated any of our free kicks since Albertz days.

It was actually becoming a waste of time winning a free kick around the box.

I ask myself why I still sit on the end of my seat when we get a free kick just outside the box :lol:

LATEST: Club confirms interest in Derby's Kris Commons. Smith: "We are in talks with Derby." No new injuries for Hibs match, Broadfoot out, Jelavic may start.

How do you ge official texts, mate?

This is great news I think he's excatly what we need , seem him play for Derby several times when he's on fire he looks immense but they again he is surround by shite.

His head seems to be elsewhere (hopefully Ibrox) of late and the Derby fans have started getting on his back..