Old Firm Tactics

Ace

Both teams started with 4-5-1 and it looked like it would work well for us but Walter Smith's version of this formation switches to 5-4-1 whereas Lennon's often goes to 4-3-3.

Our midfield has been second to almost every ball, their (Celtic) possession was, at one point upto 67% which is ridiculous, especially at Ibrox.

In the second half, when were a goal & a man up, it appears the the team instructions were to "sit in & defend".

I am a great admirer of Walter but his tactics today have totally confused, confounded and befuddled me.

Of course, it could be that the players are the ones who have failed and not the manager here .. but to me, today, it is the management team who have got it wrong.

Passed off the park in the 2nd half even when he had a man advantage. Our players gave Celtic far too much room on the ball and we should have been dominating them.

Tactics all wrong - why were we sitting back with a 1 man advantage?

some of us have been saying this for 5 years but steel we play as a cowards. should we understand ourselves, I don't blame players not 1 bit ................. 2-1 up, celtic grogged and what does walter do ???? pull all 11 behind ball .... great !!! we should be lucky we didn't lose .... I cannot satisfie myself with that .... we need to dominate on ibrox !!!!!!!! glad to see walter go to retirement........

if someone wants to ban me from forum because of that, than let him, but I said my honest opinion and I'm not affraid to say that .....

sick and tired of cautious and coward tactics ....

Totally agree, the one that gets me is the sit and defend one. We played on the counter attack for 90 mins. Not once do I remember us probing in their half, Celtic ... For the 67% possession or whatever they had most of it was in our half! We sat far too deep, allowed their full backs to play as wingers. We did not look like Champions.

I just can't quite understand why we sat so deep without the ball. Celtc with 2 upfront and their pressing were forcing us to punt it long ... Celtc have it back, we sit off, they probe and control.

Its so simple to see. What happened to the pressing game we were praising in the last round of the cup? We bottled it.

Even talking about Celtc's dominating we still could have won with the chances we had <cr>

Imagine if we had put our foot on the ball and probed in their half more, could have been a resounding victory ... Make things so hard for ourselves.

The players were woeful but I don't think the tactics helped. Apart from a couple of bright sparks in the first half Celtic dominated the game. Diouf, Jelavic and Bougherra were the only ones putting any serious effort in and winning balls. Every other player was outclassed by them.

For those calling for Davie Weir to be dropped, get a grip! Who the hell do we replace him with?

I usually think the effect of tactics are overstated in some cases, but I believe they played a big part in the result today. Celtic were given license to do whatever they pleased and we were the ones who looked a man down

When they went down to 10 men, that was when we should have went with 2 wide players in Diouf and Weiss and 2 upfront.

Even with the 4-5-1 we didnt compete, it really is baffling to me and when Celtc brought samaras on they went 4-3-2 which went to a 2-5-2 with their full backs joining in all game and we just let it happen, I can't quite understand why we didn't try and kill the tie. Outplayed 5v3 in the middle and allowed the fullbacks onto us.

If we had went 2 upfront their full backs would never have seen as much of the ball or risked going forward as much.

When they went down to 10 men, that was when we should have went with 2 wide players in Diouf and Weiss and 2 upfront.

Even with the 4-5-1 we didnt compete, it really is baffling to me and when Celtc brought samaras on they went 4-3-2 which went to a 2-5-2 with their full backs joining in all game and we just let it happen, I can't quite understand why we didn't try and kill the tie. Outplayed 5v3 in the middle and allowed the fullbacks onto us.

If we had went 2 upfront their full backs would never have seen as much of the ball or risked going forward as much.

No lie m8 - I am simply unable to fathom our approach at all.