***The Official Rangers vs. Sporting CP Thread***

Muff

Really Pissed off at the performance tonight! We sat far too deep towards the end which allowed Sporting to attack and i could sense a goal was coming. Lafferty was dire. His touch was shocking as was his finishing. After the first goal went in we should have hooked him for healy and continued as we were playing rather than allow sporting to come onto us. Also we should have used our subs to waste a bit of time towards the end to ensure a 1 nil lead into the 2nd leg as much as i would prefer to see us outplay teams to a victory. I thought the second half display was alot better for 35 mins but then we seemed to allow sporting to attack freely. Davis was very disappointing as was Edu, Lafferty and Foster. Although i would say Weiss, Diouf, Whittaker and Mcgregor played well. Lets hope we can get a goal or 2 in the second leg and provail as i disagree that we are better off out of the europa league, We should be trying to win everything that we can and i believe that we can win the league and at least put up a fight for the europa league.

WATP

Lafferty was brutal tonight and the defending at the equaliser was poor but the 2 main things that cost us tonight again were Walter Smiths inactivity with substitutions / tactics and our midfield.

For years our midfield was always the biggest strength we had especially in terms of possession and battling qualities. Our current midfield is actually now the weakness in our side.

Over the past few seasons we have lost the calibre of Ferguson, Hemdani, Mendes and Thomson and have replaced it with players who just do not possess those same qualities. I realise money is a big factor in this and the difference is quite startling.

Exactly. It was Lafferty's own good initiative that got him the chances in the first place.

He's his own worst enemy then, cleverly setting himself up to look like a woefully inept striker. Yeah good runs Laff.

I said when we scored, we would need a second to finish them. Valencia at Ibrox, all over again.

Poisitives for the European future though; their captain and probably best defender, is out of the second leg. Naismith should be fit for the second leg. And PSV got two away goals against Lille, which I think we have a better chance against PSV than Lille, if we get through.

Overall pretty shocking 1st Half Performance and a Mediocre 2nd Half...Only Two People should take some of the Blame tonight for this Performance.

1. Walter Smith. Is He going fucking blind at his old age?, anyone, even Stevie Wonder could see Lafferty was struggling and could barely move after about 75 minutes. Why not, instead of standing Hands in Pockets or Sitting up in the Directors box watching the game, get down to the sidelines for the FULL GAME, instead of leaving it to McCoist to try and motivate the team and give the team the type of encouragement it needs. Walter needs to realise he's a Manager and unless he's been given a touchline ban, should be down at the sidelines giving an earful to every single player on the pitch to tell them to sort themself out. Typical Walter, we got 1 up and then what happens? WE SIT BACK AND DEFEND, you'd think after last weeks performance against the Tims he'd learn...Then 10 minutes remaining, many players struggling, Stands hands in pocket looking at his watch...USE THE FRESH PLAYERS! are we not allowed 3 subs?

2. Kyle Lafferty. Utter Joke, he's been at the club 3 years and I can count on my fingers the amount of decent performances he has given for our club, might have a couple of fingers left over aswell. His first touch is piss poor, He is not a striker, full stop. As for the 2 shots at the end of the game, fucking disgraceful, not down to his own fault, he was huffing and puffing struggling to move BUT any STRIKER with the least amount of Footballing brain knows that when there is a chance to progress into the box, you take it, you don't stand and take a shot from 20 yards that goes straight into the keepers hands and dont force him to break a sweat in saving the shot. He ran himself to the ground, if he had produced a single moment of magic, then it would somewhat even out his performance, far too often he runs around like a headless chicken with no end game.

I hope to fuck something is sorted and soon, it's becoming more and more consistant that we are seeing people post on this board with the same sort of issues after every game. If Lafferty plays upfront on his own Next Week, we can kiss the Europa League goodbye.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Smiths tactics tonight, we should have bene about 3or 4 up by the time they got there goal. Lafferty is an empty shirti wish he would stop picking him.

we should have been 2 or3 up a hope he dosent play him on sunday

We need to keep Weiss, get rid of Lafferty and pay what it takes to keep Weiss. He loves it at Ibrox and he's just getting better and better!

(tu)

seriously, times up. He has had a fair crack at being a ranger and just doesnt have it. It pains me as I have wanted him to deliver, but its like watching a pissed giraffe.

The defending for their goal was shocking. Foster should have been closer to Fernandez and what was Bougherra do retreating towards the goal?

It was a defensive fuck-up, although I think Bougherra is probably more to blame just. I don't know what the feck he was doing?

Foster was on someone else, then did come forward but you could say if Foster had went straight in and the ball landed at the player who Foster was originally on and we'd be in the same situation as we are in.

He doesn't have the ability to be a striker. No composure, poor reactions, very little skill. He might be ok as a foil type player for someone else to play off, but as far as I can remember he doesn't exactly have a fantastic scoring ratio and tonight I guess we saw why. I mean, all players have off games but good ones generally also have 'on' ones.

Can't really argue, to be honest... He is still a young lad, however I have to agree that his moments have been fleeting, few and far between, unfortunately. The over-inflated price tag looking worse and worse every chance he gets...

Lafferty was brutal tonight and the defending at the equaliser was poor but the 2 main things that cost us tonight again were Walter Smiths inactivity with substitutions / tactics and our midfield.

For years our midfield was always the biggest strength we had especially in terms of possession and battling qualities. Our current midfield is actually now the weakness in our side.

Over the past few seasons we have lost the calibre of Ferguson, Hemdani, Mendes and Thomson and have replaced it with players who just do not possess those same qualities. I realise money is a big factor in this and the difference is quite startling.

Hey, hey... Like the Herbie sig. Inspired.

Without wanting to come across like i'm arguing with absolutely everything, i don't think Weiss was anywhere near as good as loads of people are claiming

A few good runs yes, but no end product and a point blank refusal to ever cross the ball

I don't think he is ever as good as people want him to be in their own minds. It's the winger's mirage. Everyone wants it so much they begin to see the oasis even though we are bereft of bang-on crosses and there is a drought of decent dribbling.

I don't think he is ever as good as people want him to be in their own minds. It's the winger's mirage. Everyone wants it so much they begin to see the oasis even though we are bereft of bang-on crosses and there is a drought of decent dribbling.

I think he'd deliver more crosses on the right side. Playing on the left, he'll forever have to cut inside before delivering the cross. Often the angle ends up closed down because he has at least two men on him. Don't get me wrong, the boy's got a lot of talent and he puts in a good shift on the left too, but he'd be far more effective on the right.

The two crosses he did deliver that stick in my mind, Lafferty headed over the bar and he set up the goal with his corner.

I think he'd deliver more crosses on the right side. Playing on the left, he'll forever have to cut inside before delivering the cross. Often the angle ends up closed down because he has at least two men on him. Don't get me wrong, the boy's got a lot of talent and he puts in a good shift on the left too, but he'd be far more effective on the right.

The two crosses he did deliver that stick in my mind, Lafferty headed over the bar and he set up the goal with his corner.

Killjoy.

Couldn't you just have admired my metaphors and alliteration???

You have a point about switching flanks, mate. I don't think you would find many fans who would disagree... It's been the bone of contention all the way through his spell. He played a blinder when given a free-role. Most of the time though, as you correctly state, he has been played on the left. Far cry from when he started out we all thought he may be an absolute phenomenon.