Improving, But Not There Yet

rfc_no1fan

Rangers are improving with every game that goes by in the season and I can see that some of the fans who were on PLG's back are starting to come round and see what is trying to be achieved at Rangers.

Despite this, everything is not the way it should be, Rangers are still in a transitional period and there may be set backs along the way as PLG tries to stamp his authority on the SPL. The odd slip up with the team we have now is acceptable and somewhat enevitable, but we have to continue improving and learning from the mistakes. Falkirk game was an example of this and PLG will have learnt a lot more out of that game, than the games against Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen.

PLG is a very intelligent man, he knew he would get it right eventually, but he also knew he needed time to settle, adapt and get his ideas across. Too many people were quick to judge the man, brand him as a failure when he was trying to take steps forward, albeit small steps, but his approach is effective over a long period of time and only know is it beginning to show. Sure the results and some of the performances were dreadful and PLG will be the first to admit he is to blame, but we have to look at what he was left with in the Summer, what he had to do and how he had to change everything behind the scenes, many things us fans are unaware of. McLeish left Rangers in a terrible state, players will low morale and many duds at the club (Some of which are still there, but will be moved on) PLG has taking the blame solely and this was never fair on a man who promised to turn Rangers around. He hasnt moaned, just got on about his job and has confidence in his own ability and approach.

In January I feel PLG will look at his team and think I only have 7-8 players I can rely on week in week out (McGregor, Smith, Svensson, Ferguson, Clement, Novo and Prso), but more importantly I only have 5-6 players who will be Rangers players in the long haul and I need to build a team around them.

-------------------McGregor-----------------

---RB-------Svensson-------CB------Smith

RM---------Ferguson----Clement-------LM

------------CF-----------CF-----------------

I'm sure he would like to keep Burke, Boyd, Adam and Hutton, mainly to have a Scottish identity at the club, but also to have players who will learn and have a chance of making an impact/contribution throughout a long season.

This leaves him 5 areas to target in the transfer window........ Hes not going to bring in players for all positions in the one window, but I expect him to bring in 2-3 impact players, who when in the team offer something different. He also now has the luxury of bringing in 1 youngster (which will be a midfielder/Striker IMO) and bringing him into a winning Rangers team.

Hopefully by the summer 7-8 of the 11 first team players will be regulars and he will be able to target the other positions. I'm feeling very confident, that by the 2008-2009 Rangers will once again be the dominant force in Scottish football. Whether PLG will be at the helm to continue with the progress, time will tell.

Hutton is showing real signs of improvement and if this continues we will have no need to dip into the market for a right back.

The poor performances earlier in the season we're down to the players imo and not the manager. They were not giving 100%.

an experienced central defender who can head the ball should be a priority in jan closely followed by a striker. If we can sort out losing silly goals to simple crosses into the box and also start taking a higher percentage of our chances i will be happy. At the moment celtic are scoring a goal for every 6 shots on goal they get whereas we are only scoring every 9.5 ( roughly) If we were being as good as celtic in front of goal we would have scored around 50 goals this season instead of 32. Even with our poor defence i am sure we would have won a lot more matches this season had that been the case. So CH first and clinical striker 2nd. On a positive note the performances in the past couple of weeks have been much better than at the start of the season.

Rangers are improving with every game that goes by in the season and I can see that some of the fans who were on PLG's back are starting to come round and see what is trying to be achieved at Rangers.

Despite this, everything is not the way it should be, Rangers are still in a transitional period and there may be set backs along the way as PLG tries to stamp his authority on the SPL. The odd slip up with the team we have now is acceptable and somewhat enevitable, but we have to continue improving and learning from the mistakes. Falkirk game was an example of this and PLG will have learnt a lot more out of that game, than the games against Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen.

PLG is a very intelligent man, he knew he would get it right eventually, but he also knew he needed time to settle, adapt and get his ideas across. Too many people were quick to judge the man, brand him as a failure when he was trying to take steps forward, albeit small steps, but his approach is effective over a long period of time and only know is it beginning to show. Sure the results and some of the performances were dreadful and PLG will be the first to admit he is to blame, but we have to look at what he was left with in the Summer, what he had to do and how he had to change everything behind the scenes, many things us fans are unaware of. McLeish left Rangers in a terrible state, players will low morale and many duds at the club (Some of which are still there, but will be moved on) PLG has taking the blame solely and this was never fair on a man who promised to turn Rangers around. He hasnt moaned, just got on about his job and has confidence in his own ability and approach.

In January I feel PLG will look at his team and think I only have 7-8 players I can rely on week in week out (McGregor, Smith, Svensson, Ferguson, Clement, Novo and Prso), but more importantly I only have 5-6 players who will be Rangers players in the long haul and I need to build a team around them.

-------------------McGregor-----------------

---RB-------Svensson-------CB------Smith

RM---------Ferguson----Clement-------LM

------------CF-----------CF-----------------

I'm sure he would like to keep Burke, Boyd, Adam and Hutton, mainly to have a Scottish identity at the club, but also to have players who will learn and have a chance of making an impact/contribution throughout a long season.

This leaves him 5 areas to target in the transfer window........ Hes not going to bring in players for all positions in the one window, but I expect him to bring in 2-3 impact players, who when in the team offer something different. He also now has the luxury of bringing in 1 youngster (which will be a midfielder/Striker IMO) and bringing him into a winning Rangers team.

Hopefully by the summer 7-8 of the 11 first team players will be regulars and he will be able to target the other positions. I'm feeling very confident, that by the 2008-2009 Rangers will once again be the dominant force in Scottish football. Whether PLG will be at the helm to continue with the progress, time will tell.

Utter nonsense.....

It won't take anywhere near as long as the 2008-2009 season to regain top spot. We will have it by Christmas next year! ;)

As for the rest of your post - marvellous. Great to see that there are indeed loads of other intelligent RFC fans out there willing to give the guy and DM time to get it right for a serious assault on all fronts. Well said - you have yourself a wonderful christmas.

Good post mate. But I take a wee bit of an exception to the phrase that PLG is intelligent. If he was, he woulnae have understimated the SPL like he did. He would have done his homework. Because of this, he has cost us at least 12 points.

Yes, he has finally accepted that his 'brilliance' ain't enough to win the SPL by itself.

A no bad league -- and frankly a lot better than he thought. I absolutely hate to say this but .. if our league is sh1te, how can a crap Smeltic team beat ManU over 2 legs, beat Benfica 3-0 etc. And we are better than them.

PLG now realizes this -- that's the diff. Intelligent? Mais Non!