Gregg on being left hand side answer, being a fan, Weiss, heroes & on Walter

Boab

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Wylde celebrations long into night.

Rangers' kid winger partied like there was no tomorrow.

Now Gregg Wylde just hopes his long term future at Ibrox is soon secured.

The teenage wide-boy is set to be offered a bumper new deal after the season of his dreams.

It's deserved reward for his part in Gers' Three in a Row title-winning campaign.

Wylde wants more of the same under Ally McCoist - praying his new gaffer doesn't spend the summer months trying to replace him.

He said: "Hopefully I can be the answer on the left side of midfield for a long time to come.

"I was watching TV and reading all the papers back at the start of the season and, when Vladimir Weiss came in, I thought: 'Oh no, here we go.'

"But Vlad spoke to me, told me to keep working hard as it was a straight choice between me and him.

"Since he went out of the team, I've enjoyed it - so I have to thank him for that!

"I've now got a year left on my contract.

"The club have spoken to me already about a new deal - and hopefully something will be sorted out before we come back for pre-season.

"It's a great reward for what I've done, the offer, as I want to stay at Rangers.

"I'm a Rangers fan, I love training every day, I love playing for this club. But if the manager brings in someone to play in that position I just have to handle it.

"It would be nice if the manager didn't think he needed to sign anyone in left midfield because he thinks I'm doing a good enough job.

"That would suit me, playing week in, week out. I think it's important to have home-grown lads coming through.

"It's a short squad, we've lost a lot of players, and young lads have been asked to come in and do a job - trying to win another title.

"You can see that we've done it really well. Lads like John Fleck, Jamie Ness and Kyle Hutton have stepped up to the plate."

Wylde isn't the type of lad to let glory go to his head.

Level headed and mature, his feet are firmly rooted to terra firma.

It wasn't so long ago he was a Rangers fan saving up for his season ticket just to watch his heroes in action.

Wylde, speaking as he promoted Gers season ticket renewals, added: "Winning the league is the kind of thing I dreamed about as a kid.

"When I was wee boy, I was a season ticket holder here watching great teams and suddenly I'm on the other side, involved in big days like that.

"I sat in the Govan Stand. Dick Advocaat was in charge and I was watching guys like Jorg Albertz and Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

"Albertz was my hero, along with Davie Cooper. It's been some journey, from idolising them to being there out on the pitch celebrating winning the league."

Wylde has worked hard behind the scenes since pre-season after Walter Smith stunned him by taking him to Australia for the first-team's pre-season camp.

He added: "I spoke to Walter after the Killie game.

"I just said 'thanks very much for everything you've done for me this season.'

"He told me I had deserved it all, so I'm grateful to him.

"It is a bit hard to think that he's leaving, a wee bit upsetting when you think of all he's done for this club."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3584052/Wing-and-a-prayer.html#ixzz1MeYYM4JK

Great wee interview, big fan. Its quite a nice balance to have Naismith on the right and Wylde on the left, actually, coming fae the guy who's often complained that Naisy isn't up-front.

Seems to have his feet on the ground, and understands what it means to play for Rangers. However, I would be looking to sign another LM, just to cover for loss of form, injuries etc...

Aye, Stoke had Etherington and he was doubtful and played him at Wembley and had no real replacement. F*cked.

But then if we have 1 or 2 right wingers, Naismith could play on the left.

Great interview.

In saying that though I do hope we sign a more experienced and dare I say it better left mid.

I love the wee man but I don't think he is ready to be a first team starter in every game yet and I don't think it would do him any harm having real competition for the left midfield slot.

Of course though we have more important positions to fill and I'd have no issue with him starting the season as our left mid, in fact I'd say he deserves it.

He has a big future though.

I wouldn't say he's done enough to have that position to himself next season, although he did only start 12 games this term, you can't take away the lads talent. He's shown that he has pace and a great left foot, he's one for the future but I hope Weiss comes back and they can fight for the left side :pipe:

Aye, Stoke had Etherington and played him at Wembley and played him at Wembley and had no real replacement. F*cked.

But then if we have 1 or 2 right wingers, Naismith could play on the left.

Boaby 2 times

seems like a good lad. must be amazing to be hardly involved until march then playing every game in the run in at his age, great experience. lets hope he can work on parts of his game and become a great winger for us.

I don't think game time will do him any harm tbh. People often complaim about Fleck not being given game time ! Wylde is playing well and in his favourite position, but he should not start that many games ?!

He definitely deserves his chance and a new contract and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in seasons to come. It would definitely still be wise to have another option for the left as well in case of injuries/form etc