Obscure Rangers players from the past

MisterC

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andypendek

Quite obscure: Davie MacFarlane. Reserve team legend who never made it into the 1st team, although he did come on as sub when Souness won his first trophy, the 86 Skol Cup (2-1 win v 'them). His first touch was to head the ball straight out of play. He also started in an early game of Souness' second season, away to Hibs, in a midfield which also featured, iirc, Ally McCoist. We lost, it rained. Not a good night.

Colin Miller. Apparently Canadian, might be the most capped reserve player of all time. A left back who never played more tha a handful of games.

Totally obscure: Ally Edwards and Phillip Knell. Two strikers, one Aussie, the second an Ulsterman. Knell scored a hattrick in a reserve match at Parkhead and went on a scoring run but didn't even make the bench. Can't recall if it was Souness or just before his time. Edwards came over with another Aussie but made little or no impact. Anyone remember the other Aussie?

So obscure he is an astronomical synonym for eclipses: Stuart McCluckie. Ayrshire Bears might remember him, though.

Guest Andypendek

I don't remember where Knell played before Rangers, but if you still have a Rangers News from that era it must be virtually unreadable...they used to be half faded before I got back from Mr Khan's shop with mine. At least it was cheap, 40p iirc.

Is that the boy who we signed from Glentoran? I think I have a Rangers News kicking about somewhere from the week he signed.

Think that was Tom Leeman who was a left-back iirc.

MisterC ,I wouldn't class Colin Scott as obscure. Reason- he was at a b/bq at my house 25 years ago,so beat that! NA na na na na.

He played a few 1st team games.

So he would have been 15 at the time and therefore not with Rangers. However, he did play 13 times for us, goodness knows when but wikipedia says he did so it must be true! Therefore he isnt as obscure as he could be.

William Stanger :sherlock: