DJW

***Official European football thread***

7,275 posts in this topic

Great thread! Rep coming soon :craphead:

On Montilivo wasn't the biggest fan at the start then saw him in a couple of the bigger games and thought he was outstanding just does his job and does it right! If he doesn't resolve the contract dispute (which I think he will and stay) then yeah Inter Milan it is.

What about Rolando would have been a good add to Roma looks like that link has gone cold.

One of the downsides to only having Sky Sports. :disappointment:

Don't Inter have a fair few centre midfielders at the minute? Cambiasso, Motta, Stankovic- Sneijder can play there, as can Zanetti... always a position I thought they didn't need strengthened.

What did te Juve score finish last night ? got bored and turned it off after telling my mate it was much more exciting to watch Italian football these days :lol: gave the game the kiss of death :( .

p.s DJW - How awful is that Roma backline i was actually amazed they recovered and won the game 3-2 , is Juan really that bad every week , used to be a useful defender in his day

1-0 Juve.

What about Rolando would have been a good add to Roma looks like that link has gone cold.

He'd be an interesting buy to replace Juan. I admit I've only seen Porto a couple of times in the league this season, but the guy's been solid for them in the Europa League. Not sure how much they'd ask though- the new owners are loaded but the word is they don't like paying over the odds.

One of the downsides to only having Sky Sports. :disappointment:

Don't Inter have a fair few centre midfielders at the minute? Cambiasso, Motta, Stankovic- Sneijder can play there, as can Zanetti... always a position I thought they didn't need strengthened.

Not much common sense comes into play in the Italian markets. The influence of the president is massive; if he thinks signing a certain player will help his popularity, then he'll sign him, regardless of whether or not he's needed. Shevchenko returning to Milan being a prime example.

What did te Juve score finish last night ? got bored and turned it off after telling my mate it was much more exciting to watch Italian football these days :lol: gave the game the kiss of death :( .

p.s DJW - How awful is that Roma backline i was actually amazed they recovered and won the game 3-2 , is Juan really that bad every week , used to be a useful defender in his day

Juve won 1-0. I heard it was a shite game, but that's Nazio at home for you....

As for Roma, it's just typical. Win against the big teams, but make life extremely difficult against the smaller ones....I think Juan had a particular off day to be honest. He's usually still pretty solid, but I'd be wanting a replacement. Doubt he will though, they'll want defensive continuity with Mexes going, Coming in is supposed to be Cesare Bovo from Palermo, who's from Rome, and supports Roma. Great signing if it comes off.

1 person likes this

Bovo started his career at Roma aswell.

I rate Montolivo highly. On the subject of Fiorentina, when is Jovetic expected back? I haven't been following them as much as usual.

Also, if this is a catch-all Calcio thread and not just a present-day one, I'm going to be clogging this shit up with youtube videos all the time. Hope you don't mind.

He'd be an interesting buy to replace Juan. I admit I've only seen Porto a couple of times in the league this season, but the guy's been solid for them in the Europa League. Not sure how much they'd ask though- the new owners are loaded but the word is they don't like paying over the odds.

Since they have only let in 13 goals this season in 28 games (League) I'd say him in there back line is pretty solid don't get me wrong I think Juan is a good enough player but maybe be great for back up to say someone like Rolando.

And anytime I'v saw him in Europa League been excellent.

I rate Montolivo highly. On the subject of Fiorentina, when is Jovetic expected back? I haven't been following them as much as usual.

Also, if this is a catch-all Calcio thread and not just a present-day one, I'm going to be clogging this shit up with youtube videos all the time. Hope you don't mind.

coach Sinisa Mihajlovic was pleased with the return of Stevan Jovetic last week. Jovetic returned to training for the first time since snapping multiple knee ligaments in August.

Mihajlovic said: “It was lovely to see him back on the field and everyone applauded as he came in. I saw the look in his eyes, he is reborn and really wants to play, but we have to be cautious.

"It’s better he waits a week more rather than rushes his return.”

Fantastic talent :praise:

He's ace. I know he apparently discourages the comparisons to Roberto Baggio but that game against Liverpool excited me no end. The guy has artistry.

Not much common sense comes into play in the Italian markets. The influence of the president is massive; if he thinks signing a certain player will help his popularity, then he'll sign him, regardless of whether or not he's needed. Shevchenko returning to Milan being a prime example.

As for Roma, it's just typical. Win against the big teams, but make life extremely difficult against the smaller ones....I think Juan had a particular off day to be honest. He's usually still pretty solid, but I'd be wanting a replacement. Doubt he will though, they'll want defensive continuity with Mexes going, Coming in is supposed to be Cesare Bovo from Palermo, who's from Rome, and supports Roma. Great signing if it comes off.

(tu)

Since you are te go to man on Italian football , how is Abel Hernandez doing ? i tipped him for their WC squad in Africa but he didnt get picked , has he been a regular in the Palermo side ? and is he playing well and living upto his potential ? (thats if you have seen him playing often enough to form an opinion :lol: )

(tu)

Since you are te go to man on Italian football , how is Abel Hernandez doing ? i tipped him for their WC squad in Africa but he didnt get picked , has he been a regular in the Palermo side ? and is he playing well and living upto his potential ? (thats if you have seen him playing often enough to form an opinion :lol: )

Well whenever I've seen him, he's looked pretty sharp, but the general view is that he's not reproducing his form from last season. This is probably down to two main things; first of all the hamstring injury that's made him miss a good few months, and secondly, he was apparently robbed at gunpoint. So a rough year, but he's been linked with Roma this summer (as have half the Palermo squad though....half of world football too for that matter).

Stevan Jovetic is really good. He's the leader of Fiorentina and one of the most brilliant players of Calcio.

I need Espn.

Lazio were all over Juventus for most parts of the game, but were shit in front of goal.

As for your 'Nazio' comment:

SVASTI.jpg

1 person likes this

Lazio were all over Juventus for most parts of the game, but were shit in front of goal.

As for your 'Nazio' comment:

SVASTI.jpg

A swallow doesn't make a summer; for every swastika, there will be a couple of Che Guevara flags. Now, onto the Nazio thing:

Lazio500_maxpane_420_280.jpg

"Auschwitz is where you're from- the oven's your home."

Next up, a hero among the Naziale, Paulo di Canio:

Now, check the only player to get booed here:

So we have anti-semitism, racism and the fascist salute. Nazio.

Most Italian clubs have a fascist element, it's not really fair to tar the clubs with the same brush as some of the supporters, but it does seem that Lazio's far right element is significantly more than a minority. Didn't the club itself retire the number 12 shirt as a tribute to the Irriducibile?

A swallow doesn't make a summer; for every swastika, there will be a couple of Che Guevara flags. Now, onto the Nazio thing:

Lazio500_maxpane_420_280.jpg

"Auschwitz is where you're from- the oven's your home."

Next up, a hero among the Naziale, Paulo di Canio:

Now, check the only player to get booed here:

So we have anti-semitism, racism and the fascist salute. Nazio.

You don't even know your own club.

There are no Che Guevara flags at Roma.

'One swallow' ?

Remember the banner in Amsterdam when playing Ajax (wrongly spelled btw) ?

I firmly advise you to read Football, Fascism and Fandom: The UltraS of Italian Football, it's about the fans of Lazio and US Roma ( :craphead: ) and how fascism has been a big factor in both supports.

JamieD: Yes, that's correct, but it's not because of the fascist element of the Irriducibili, it's because they had so much power that they could get this done.

IRR are gone though, vanished and replaced by other Ultras.

I for one would love for Lazio to get at least Europa League (although Champions League is a realistic chance).

Been there a few times and it's a great place to watch football.

Edited by Jelle1880

You don't even know your own club.

There are no Che Guevara flags at Roma.

Yeah you do. You see it along with any number of other flags amongst the fans. On another forum, I asked about this, and the view is that Roma are more the the left, while Lazio are more to the right.

'One swallow' ?

Remember the banner in Amsterdam when playing Ajax (wrongly spelled btw) ?

Only started watching Roma matches with any real regularity within the past couple of years, what's this about?

I firmly advise you to read Football, Fascism and Fandom: The UltraS of Italian Football, it's about the fans of Lazio and US Roma ( :craphead: ) and how fascism has been a big factor in both supports.

Will look it up and give it a read. (tu)