Kilmarnock 1 vs. Rangers 3 - Feb. 11, 2007

Bazza

HITTING THE SPOT

With two penalties and a good header, the Boyd hat trick did exactly that. The Referee played a big part in the overall game with some dubious, to say the least, decisions including the awards of three penalties and the chopping off of a perfectly good Ferguson goal.

The result was all-important though and gives us a bit of breathing space in the battle for second spot and the champions league money.

The game saw Kevin Thomson make his debut and a change in tactics for Walter that saw Bazza playing just off Boyd up front with Burke right and Adam left supporting the attackers. The change seemed to have worked as first Bazza sent Boyd through on goal which led to the first, ahem, stonewall, penalty then Bazza himself scored with a superbly worked free kick. Sadly, it was also a little too cunning for the linesman who wrongly adjudged it offside. The second always looked like coming and duly did with another Boyd header.

The second half was a bit more subdued and petered out after Boyd sealed the win with another well-taken penalty.

Overall we controlled the game and took a fairly easy three points from Rugby Park with the only blemish being the goal conceded that broke a good spell of shut outs.

Today’s team: -

McGregor: - Could have easily sat down with a mug of tea, what else, as the match passed him by. Called into action and duly produced as he saved the penalty only then to blot his copybook by flapping at the cross, which saw, them score.

Rmed Verdict: - 6

Hutton: - One of his best performances of the season, especially in an attacking sense. Was up and down the line all game giving great support to Burke and even managed to throw in some very good crosses. One of which led to Boyd’s second goal. Dampened his performance though with a stupid rash moment that cost us a penalty.

Rmed Verdict: - 8

Weir: - Truly is a Mr Reliable as he cruised through another SPL game. Wednesday might throw up a new challenge for him though as we head into Europe.

Rmed Verdict: - 7

Ehiogu: - This was my first viewing of him in a Gers shirt and I only got 26 minutes before he had to go off. He certainly has the physique for the centre backs job and I hope it isn’t too long before I get to see more of him.

Rmed Verdict: - 5

Murray: - Defensively he is extremely sound and his return to the team couldn’t have been timed better with the injury to Smith. Covered his centre backs at all times but could have got forward a bit more.

Burke: - Owes us a performance or two as he really hasn’t been at his best since returning from injury. Showed a bit more today but there is a lot more to come.

Hemdani: - Played his usual quietly effective spoiling game in the middle of the park. A lot of peoples tip to get dropped with the signing of Thomson but has done enough this season to merit his place.

Thomson: - Started with all the enthusiasm and gusto of a man wanting to make his mark and made some nice touches. A shame to not see him appear for the second half as the team looked stronger than it had for a while with him holding the middle of the park with Hemdani.

Adam: - One of his better displays and made some good passes and runs. His eyes must have lit up in the second half as he saw their keeper way out of his goal and fluffing the clearance right to him, unfortunately his excitement got the better of him and he missed the ball completely.

Bazza: - A lot of managers have asked him to play in an attacking role, but this was more advanced than ever. Sat in behind Boyd and asked to pull the strings from there. It worked well while it lasted and he was unlucky, for the second week in a row, not to have his name on the score sheet.

Boyd: - What baffles me more than anything is how Le Geun contrived to keep this goal-scoring machine out of the starting line up. Took his penalties extremely well and his header was right into the side netting. Is it me or is he also smiling a bit more now that Walter and Ally have taken over?

Rmed Verdict: - 9 (MOTM and who else could it have been today!)

Svensson (On for Ehiogu): - Will be one of the few men happy to see Ugo going off. I don’t mind seeing him get a chance though but he really needs to learn how to clear a ball without slicing it!

Novo (On for Thomson): - Must be devastated to once more find himself on the bench. Played well when he came on, driving at their defence and winning the second, ahem, stonewall, penalty.

Smith: - Surprised a few with the selection and tactics but will be more than happy with the outcome. A couple of injury worries loom though as two substitutions seemed to be enforced on him.

Another good win under our belts sets us in good stead for the European game but first and foremost comes making sure of second spot and the champions league. Other teams are still close on our heels but we now look like a team who are too strong for the contenders.

WATP

Baz.

http://rangersmediamatchday.blogspot.com/