Zonal marking/standing off

50ShadesofBlue

This tactic is absolutely torture to watch and costing us too many goals so far this season.

Every team we come up against close us down and man mark our forwards but we do the exact opposite.

Lee McCulloch exemplifies this tactic with his flailing hands and fresh air dominance he exhibited last night.

The quicker we go back to closing down opponents and man marking the better.

Thoughts?

This tactic is absolutely torture to watch and costing us too many goals so far this season.

Every team we come up against close us down and man mark our forwards but we do the exact opposite.

Lee McCulloch exemplifies this tactic with his flailing hands and fresh air dominance he exhibited last night.

The quicker we go back to closing down opponents and man marking the better.

Thoughts?

Best example of this is Barcelona,They press their opponents high up the park whilst hunting in packs of two or three players meaning when they retain possession a team mate is always within five -ten yards.

By closing down quickly you don't allow your opponent to lift their heads and pick a pass.

Obvious i would have thought.

Best example of this is Barcelona,They press their opponents high up the park whilst hunting in packs of two or three players meaning when they retain possession a team mate is always within five -ten yards.

By closing down quickly you don't allow your opponent to lift their heads and pick a pass.

Obvious i would have thought.

Yes every good team is based on talent but above all work ethic and why our manager and players do not seem to take in what they must see in games and on tv really frustrates me.We rarely try to regain possession by pressing the opposition,even rarer is the short quick simple pass.

I was taught at a very early age that the easiest ball for an opposition to win is the long high pass because they have the advantage of facing the ball and being able to attack it.

Basic coaching,basic technique and a half decent work ethic and tempo are seriously missing from our first team regulars.

Yes every good team is based on talent but above all work ethic and why our manager and players do not seem to take in what they must see in games and on tv really frustrates me.We rarely try to regain possession by pressing the opposition,even rarer is the short quick simple pass.

I was taught at a very early age that the easiest ball for an opposition to win is the long high pass because they have the advantage of facing the ball and being able to attack it.

Basic coaching,basic technique and a half decent work ethic and tempo are seriously missing from our first team regulars.

100% correct on all points.

Work ethic is severely lacking

The ability to control the ball should be a given.

The ability to pass and move at speed should be worked on every day until mastered.

Tactical nous from the management is non existent.

(tu)