***The Official Rangers v Motherwell Thread***

simplythebest

I'd make sweeping changes after that gutless and cowardly display from our players the other day.

If the likes of Lafferty are scared shitless at the prospect of playing in front of a Rangers crowd then they need to find a different employer. If he didn't mean it then fine go out and get on with it.

No more excuses and no more blaming just the gaffer for the failings of his players.

Anyone who's daunted by the thought of playing can go on gardening leave and fuck off.

Anyone without passion can sit in the stands.

No way would I select Jelavic after his embarrassingly inept display the other night, regardless of who else is available.

I also wouldn't select Davis because he's clearly lost his appetite and confidence.

My team would be:-

McGregor

Broadfoot, Goian, Bocanegra, Papac

Aluko, Edu (but only because there is no-one else), McKay (show us what you can do), McCabe, Wylde

Lafferty

I think we are going to see the left side made up of Papac and Wallace again...I just can't see McCoist changing the team so much from previous games.

There has to be an improvement against Motherwell at home...

The last few games Wallace has looked gassed by the middle of the match. I don't think he's fit enough to play midfield.

I too think Davis needs to be benched for a game.

I've seen many Rangers sides run out for the game after a bad result and stand up and be counted. The one that sticks out in my mind is after Hamilton put Souness's team out the Scottish Cup in 1987 - next game Butcher led the team sprinting out of the tunnel at Tynecastle and we took five off of Hearts that day.

Sadly I'm starting to think the current team just doesn't have the heart (no pun intended) to do that on Monday. There doesn't look to be much leadership and inspiration there apart from maybe Bocanegra, and I'm beginning to doubt Ally's motivational skills - how many games is it now where he has he promised improvement and there's been none?

I've seen many Rangers sides run out for the game after a bad result and stand up and be counted. The one that sticks out in my mind is after Hamilton put Souness's team out the Scottish Cup in 1987 - next game Butcher led the team sprinting out of the tunnel at Tynecastle and we took five off of Hearts that day.

Sadly I'm starting to think the current team just doesn't have the heart (no pun intended) to do that on Monday. There doesn't look to be much leadership and inspiration there apart from maybe Bocanegra, and I'm beginning to doubt Ally's motivational skills - how many games is it now where he has he promised improvement and there's been none?

I think we are lucky we are playing Murderwell, they are shite against us, if it was anyone else, and i mean anyone else, i would be worried, but Monday, we should run a mock.

I think we are lucky we are playing Murderwell, they are shite against us, if it was anyone else, and i mean anyone else, i would be worried, but Monday, we should run a mock.

We do have the players to win comfortably, my worry is if there's no early breakthrough and a few misplaced passes, the Bears can get restless and before you know it Lafferty's "scared to play at Ibrox" syndrome manifests itself again.

We do have the players to win comfortably, my worry is if there's no early breakthrough and a few misplaced passes, the Bears can get restless and before you know it Lafferty's "scared to play at Ibrox" syndrome manifests itself again.

That has long been the case at Ibrox, fans who demand every pass be inch perfect whether its 5 yards or 50 yards, who demand goals right away, who cant be arsed to support the players vocally but would rather scream and shout abuse, then think its ok to leave the ground 15 mins early. Ibrox is a strange place, such beauty, such tradition and such standards yet the people who frequent it treat it and its club with such.............not sure what the word is i am looking for. Contempt? You know what i mean?

I know exactly what Laffs is talking about and he is absolutely spot on. I remember Ally talking years ago about Rangers and Ibrox, saying it was the best place in the world to play when things are good but when they are not, its a whole different ball game.

Of course its a two way thing, it must be hard for fans to get excited about such negative tactics and boring football and show support of consistant mistakes, like the picking of certain players week in week out even when its inevitable it will cost us and obvious its the wrong choice.

(tu)

instead of worrying about conceding, for once i'd love rangers to go out and think like spurs do "doesnt matter how many you score, we'll score 1 more than you at least"

i'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0 everytime,

spurs play 1 up front

cant believe we are again seeing "we will win comfortably" "we should run amok"etc.get real, the same manager/players/formations/tactics=the same performances/results.we may win but it sure aint gonnae be pretty, or convincing

Biggest problem we've got with players available is midfield support for the striker(s) - ball gets played up to Jela and no one there to pick up the scraps. We must go for a 4-4-1-1 and stick with it. This formation let's us swap players in and out without too much disruption. Bendiksen has shown he's one of the few in our squad who can take and give a pass in tight areas. Davis doesn't have the form to go box to box so give him the ball to feed Bendiksen, supported by Lafferty and Wylde. Edu protecting the middle and fingers crossed we create many more chances.

Transfer talk suggests otherwise but I'd go for;

:McGregor:

:Broadfoot::Goian::Bocanegra::Papac:

:Lafferty::Davis::Edu::Wylde:

:Bendiksen:

:Jelavic:

Aluko is an impact sub until he gets fit

Wallace can replace both Papac and Wylde

Davis provides the ammo for Bendiksen

Biggest problem we've got with players available is midfield support for the striker(s) - ball gets played up to Jela and no one there to pick up the scraps.

I'd argue that the problem is more prosaic inasmuch that the ball is played up to Jelavic who either (a) doesn't win the ball (b) wins it but miscontrols it, ( c) wins it but misplaces his pass (d) falls on his arse.

Jelavic is part of the problem, not the solution.

I think we'll see McKay in this game, the recent media questions about him will make ally play him I think (and hope).

No Bendiksen anymore so it'll be Davis and hopefully Edu starting with Jelavic and Lafferty up front. RB will be interesting but will most likely be Broadfoot.

McGregor

Broadfoot Goian Bocanegra Papac

Aluko Davis Edu Wallace

Lafferty Jelavic

I think that's what we're going to see.

I'd argue that the problem is more prosaic inasmuch that the ball is played up to Jelavic who either (a) doesn't win the ball (b) wins it but miscontrols it, ( c) wins it but misplaces his pass (d) falls on his arse.

Jelavic is part of the problem, not the solution.

All of the above could be said of any lone striker, but ours is scrapping for balls fired to him from a deep midfield - if we continue to play balls to him in our current shape then we're just giving the ball to the opposition every time

This was the problem on wednesday (and many other games TBH). When McCulloch plays he thinks its good enough to just play the ball sideways to our full backs and then start to run uo the pitch knowing that the leaves the full back only one option but to punt it. We need a holding midfielder that can dictate the play and build through midfield and not just sit there like a plank of wood in front of defence.

Davis usually has a good game against Motherwell - hope seeing them tomorrow has the usual effect

I for one am not that bothered about an under par Davis as I feel that IF (and it's a big if) we can get some form and establish a better style of play, he will get better. We know he can do it as he has done it before. Guys like McCulloch on the other hand have never done IMO and should never be seen in a blue jersey again. There is a big difference

I for one am not that bothered about an under par Davis as I feel that IF (and it's a big if) we can get some form and establish a better style of play, he will get better. We know he can do it as he has done it before. Guys like McCulloch on the other hand have never done IMO and should never be seen in a blue jersey again. There is a big difference

Good point - bit chicken & eggish - does Davo make us play or vice versa? I probably lean more to him being inspired by the others. Would be good to see him play like he did at Fir Park - loved that chip through for Wylde's goal!

Quite right re difference between Davo, who we all hope to recapture form we've seen previously, & Jig who, barring a few moments of inspiration (Lyon, header v Scum, volley v Sheep) has never really delivered in any position & ain't going to get better at his age with his injury issues.

I probably lean more to him being inspired by the others.

so the question beckons why the fuck is he the captain and undroppable

for an international creative midfielder to require others to inspire him is ridiculous and shouldnt be near a team like rangers, nevermind being the captain

so the question beckons why the fuck is he the captain and undroppable

for an international creative midfielder to require others to inspire him is ridiculous and shouldnt be near a team like rangers, nevermind being the captain

What a good question, too!

Still referred to as 'stand-in' captain, as though DW might yet come back!

Maybe Ally expected DW to return & it's just drifted on?

Your guess is as good as (probably better) than mine!

What a good question, too!

Still referred to as 'stand-in' captain, as though DW might yet come back!

Maybe Ally expected DW to return & it's just drifted on?

Your guess is as good as (probably better) than mine!

Having played under captains like Butcher, Gough etc, i simply cannot see how mccoist thought that davis had the qualities needed to be the captain

maybe it was a sweetener in his new deal, :(

Having played under captains like Butcher, Gough etc, i simply cannot see how mccoist thought that davis had the qualities needed to be the captain

maybe it was a sweetener in his new deal, :(

Very possibly, though they might've given it a bit more fanfare?

Think he'd stood in a bit for NI & was seen as best available with captaincy experience perhaps?

Probably didn't realise how well Boca would turn out - stuck in my mind how he was with Greegs after Septic rick - THAT was leadership!