A superb interview with Gregg Wylde's Father

Boab

GREGG WYLDE walked away from Rangers yesterday and locked himself in his room.

The 20-year-old pulled the duvet over his head as he struggled to come to terms with the fact he is now a footballer on the dole.

After becoming the first top team star at Ibrox to accept voluntary redundancy, the reality of administration finally hit home.

The club he joined as a 14-year-old schoolboy is struggling to survive and after days of sleepless nights and soul searching, the kid from Kirkintilloch finally had enough.

Gregg’s father Gordon put a comforting arm around his son and insisted the decision to pull the trigger on his days at Rangers was for the greater good.

He said: “Gregg was listening to Fraser Wishart of the players’ union on the radio at the weekend and he was saying there were still people on the payroll at Rangers from his time at the club 20 years ago.

“He asked me who they were and I told him it was the people that worked behind the scenes such as the laundry staff, the tea lady and those who work in the office.

“That was when it all hit home for Gregg just who would be affected by administration. He told me there and then he’d had enough and would offer to leave if it helped these staff members keep their jobs.

“In his mind, these are the people who are living from month to month and their livelihoods were under threat. He’s a young boy who would be the first to admit the complex financial talk taking place with the administrators at Murray Park were going right over his head.

“He didn’t understand what was going on but he wanted to do the right thing. We had a heart to heart and I asked if he was sure – his mind was made up and it was a selfless decision from a brave wee guy.

“It’s a terrible position to place anyone in and I stand by him all the way but he is emotionally and physically shattered.”

Wylde senior revealed the writing was on the wall for his son when he confronted the administrators on Monday and they didn’t even know his name.

He said: “Gregg had taken Ally McCoist aside and told him he was prepared to leave and waive his salary and redundancy payment but I don’t think the manager took in what he was saying.

“But when the administrators were at Murray Park on Monday he squirrelled himself away from the group and chapped the administrators’ door.

"They didn’t know who he was so he introduced himself and told them he would walk away now for nothing. They told him they’d get back to him and contacted him that night to tell him his proposal had been accepted.

“I’m proud of what he’s done, Gregg loves the club and has shown that by sacrificing his career there. He knew players and staff were going to lose their jobs and he took the initiative. Everything hit home.

“He’s not been the same boy over the past few weeks, he hasn’t been sleeping or eating and has been getting up in the middle of the night and wandering about the house.”

After making his Gers debut last season, Wylde has racked up 38 top team appearances and recently penned a five-year deal.

The contract is now worthless but dad Gordon is adamant they’ll never take away his achievements and he was determined to do what he could to preserve the history of the club.

He said: “Gregg helped Rangers win the league last season and he has a League Cup winners medal. He’s proud of being a part of the history and wants that to remain intact.

“He doesn’t want those memories being stained by the club ceasing to exist and just wanted to do the right thing if it helped Rangers from going to the wall.

“He was scared and last week when he came back from talking to the administrators he said he couldn’t believe just how cut-throat they were in their approach.

“He was frightened and told me it was heavy stuff. He wanted to carry on playing for nothing but that wasn’t an option which was acceptable to the administrators for whatever reason.

“Gregg’s not the type to put his hand up in a room to ask questions, he’s quiet and didn’t want to attract attention but everything has taken a huge toll on him and his personality has not been the same. It’s a horrible situation but I stand by his decision and hopefully he’ll find a club soon.”

And Wylde is adamant he made his decision despite being in the dark over what his football future holds.

The youngster, who has also waived his wage for March, said: “I offered to walk away yesterday and the club told me they would accept that offer.

“At the moment I have nowhere to go and don’t have another club.

“I don’t know what is going to happen next but I thought it was important to play my part in saving Rangers.”

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2012/03/07/rangers-in-crisis-gregg-wylde-left-scarred-by-trauma-of-administration-says-youngster-s-father-86908-23778358/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gregg just seems a wee bit flummoxed with the while thing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was frightened and told me it was heavy stuff. He wanted to carry on playing for nothing but that wasn’t an option which was acceptable to the administrators for whatever reason

seems a bit strange if the lad was willing to play for fek awl why did they say noo

Good to hear that someone at the club had some principles and thought of the ordinary working folk. A few on here should be feeling sheepish.

It's times like these where the true character of the players (and supporters) comes to the fore, casey...and you know that a few surprises and truths come to the surface pretty quickly.

I hope the kid gets fixed up with a decent team and gets some good coaching that enables him to further his career....great gesture from a young lad of his age. (tu)

My mate foned me this morning to tell me he was on the Glasgow Schiphol flight with Mervan this morning. Said he was not really giving much away except he was gutted and the whole thing was a real mess :anguish:

Will be meeting my mate in the next hour or two so will try to get more info out of him.

Why did he not offer to play for the rest of the season for nothing?

Ok, say he did work for free and got injured. Immediately he would find it difficult to get a new club, he effectively becomes worthless, Rangers won't pay his rehab from injury and he's let go, an injured player noone wants after playing the past few months for free.

Good on him.

Ok, say he did work for free and got injured. Immediately he would find it difficult to get a new club, he effectively becomes worthless, Rangers won't pay his rehab from injury and he's let go, an injured player noone wants after playing the past few months for free.

Good on him.

I think you both need to actually read it, he did offer to play for free!

Good on him.

His dad Gordon was done by an ex St Mirren player (taig) when Gordon played for Killie against Partick Thistle. Gordon lost a job because of that assault so he would be able to put Gregg straight about playing without a contract.

Gordon had a contract with Killie but lost his main job because of the injury.