How Do Chelsea Overcome Barcelona?

Two clinical, high risk through balls that led to goals that turned the tie on its head.

That's what Barcelona refused to do.

Why did Barca refuse to shoot from the edge of the area?

Every time the ball came to them they would pass it sideways for a minute or 2 then the space would open for a shot but they would always pass it wide for Alves or whoever to cross into a box full of 6 foot Chelsea players…

It was mental to watch.

Sensational result and performance from Chelsea.

Took courage, guts, determination, luck, quality all rolled into one last night. Yeah the purest of the game will say that last night was a loss for football, but especially for us Rangers fans we all know what winning over beautiful football means, Walter Smith based his Rangers career on it. I commend Chelsea for doing what was necessary, we've seen teams probably alot better teams than this current Chelsea side try to open up against Barcelona and play thier own game only to be then comprehensively be beaten by Barca. They made their own luck and good luck to them in the final.

Also for me Ashley Cole proved over the two legs that he is the best left back in world football. He has been for a number of years IMO, although he did have a difficult start to the season this year. He was MOTM in the first leg and last night when things looked to be getting away from Chelsea towards the end of the first half he lead by example by continuing to get stuck in and compete. The attitude he showed, I think led to the Chelsea goal from Ramires. In the second half he was as big a part as any of that Chelsea rearguard that was absolutely sensational in the second half, terrific display.

Took courage, guts, determination, luck, quality all rolled into one last night. Yeah the purest of the game will say that last night was a loss for football, but especially for us Rangers fans we all know what winning over beautiful football means, Walter Smith based his Rangers career on it. I commend Chelsea for doing what was necessary, we've seen teams probably alot better teams than this current Chelsea side try to open up against Barcelona and play thier own game only to be then comprehensively be beaten by Barca. They made their own luck and good luck to them in the final.

Also for me Ashley Cole proved over the two legs that he is the best left back in world football. He has been for a number of years IMO, although he did have a difficult start to the season this year. He was MOTM in the first leg and last night when things looked to be getting away from Chelsea towards the end of the first half he lead by example by continuing to get stuck in and compete. The attitude he showed, I think led to the Chelsea goal from Ramires. In the second half he was as big a part as any of that Chelsea rearguard that absolutely sensational in the second half, terrific display.

Ashley Cole was fantastic last night and in the last few months has come back to his very best.

Not many defenders can stop Messi but Cole can and did.

Ashley Cole was fantastic last night and in the last few months has come back to his very best.

Not many defenders can stop Messi but Cole can and did.

One of the few players in world football that I'd be as confident as I could be marking a Messi or a Ronaldo. The amounts of times Ronaldo come up short against Cole during his United days was borderline pathetic.

One of the few players in world football that I'd be as confident as I could be marking a Messi or a Ronaldo. The amounts of times Ronaldo come up short against Cole during his United days was borderline pathetic.

Indeed.

I know losing Terry and Ramires for the final is tough but losing Cole would be far worse imo, he really has been the stand out for the team since RDM took over, If it is Madrid or Bayern then he will be vital to mark the likes of Ronaldo or Robben/Ribery.

I in the past was quite vocal about my dislike for Mikel but I have to admit the lad has proved in the last few games he really can be effective when he wants to play, discipline has been majorly improved from past showings. I really hope Essien can get some game time so he is up to speed for the final in Munich, no Ramires is a blow and energy is needed in that midfield so I would hope Essien could provide this as in his pomp ( I know that was long and 2 career threatening injuries ago) he was a tank who never stopped running.

Also for me Ashley Cole proved over the two legs that he is the best left back in world football. He has been for a number of years IMO, although he did have a difficult start to the season this year. He was MOTM in the first leg and last night when things looked to be getting away from Chelsea towards the end of the first half he lead by example by continuing to get stuck in and compete. The attitude he showed, I think led to the Chelsea goal from Ramires. In the second half he was as big a part as any of that Chelsea rearguard that was absolutely sensational in the second half, terrific display.

Agree with that and especially about Cole, his standard of performance has been amazing in the last decade. One of very few English players who are genuinely world class.

Did Madina honestly say Carroll is better than Torres?

:lol::lol::lol:

That is crazy!!

Yeah. I'm not a Torres bum boy in the slightest but as i was reading this thread this morning to see all the sasaaaa action i came across that post. Unreal.

Yeah. I'm not a Torres bum boy in the slightest but as i was reading this thread this morning to see all the sasaaaa action i came across that post. Unreal.

Crazy!

Sasaaaa was his usual pleasent self, dignified in defeat as always... :rolleyes:

:lol:

Crazy!

Sasaaaa was his usual pleasent self, dignified in defeat as always... :rolleyes:

:lol:

I love it when he comes up with the "Where've you been hiding the last 3 seasons".

Nowhere, i don't actually care about "El Classico" and Barca i just find you and your excuses funny as fuck :lol:

You can't understand a British man wanting a British team to beat Barca?

Not to mention he has been to world cups and euros with the likes of Cole, Terry, Lampard etc they have been friends for years and people getting annoyed that he showed emotion towards Chelsea is pathetic and idiotic. I doubt Spanish or Italian commentators avoid bias at all costs.

Not to mention he has been to world cups and euros with the likes of Cole, Terry, Lampard etc they have been friends for years and people getting annoyed that he showed emotion towards Chelsea is pathetic and idiotic. I doubt Spanish or Italian commentators avoid bias at all costs.

It baffles me that people care. It's an English what are they expecting?

I like Neville as a commentator which is weird coz i detested him as a player.

I couldn't believe it when they announced it, couldn't have though of anyone more boring but have ended up liking him.

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola says the Champions League semi-final defeat by Chelsea may force his side to change their tactics, but insists they played "exceptionally well" in defeat.

"I've transmitted this crazy theme of 'you have to go out and attack, attack, attack'," said Guardiola.

"Maybe it's a lesson for the future? We have to find the way to attack better."

The 41-year-old said he would decide whether to renew his Barcelona contract in "the next few days".

He added: "We'll talk about everything and then take a decision because it's evident that it's time to."

Guardiola has had a series of one-year contracts at the Nou Camp since first taking up the reins in 2008 and had been linked with the Chelsea job in the wake of Andre Villas-Boas's departure from Stamford Bridge in March.

While he could not fault his players' effort in the loss to Chelsea over the two legs, he conceded that he might need to find more variation to their play.

"The first thing that crosses my mind is huge sadness. I think we played exceptionally well," he said.

"I try to figure out what to say when looking at the team, about what we did wrong to not reach the final and I can't think of anything.

"The opposition was always there, very defensive and good on the counter-attack.

"We did everything we could but we couldn't score another goal and football is about scoring."

Barcelona's Champions League exit, which followed a 2-1 reverse to Real Madrid in the Spanish League, leaves the Copa del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao on 20 May as Guardiola's only realistic remaining chance of winning more silverware.

Their Champions League exit also marks the end of Barcelona's attempt to become the first team since AC Milan in 1990 to successfully defend their European title, after victories in three of the last six years.

Former Barcelona defender Michael Reiziger insists that the defeat should not mark a watershed for a club that has also lifted the Spanish Super Cup, European Super Cup and Club World Cup earlier this season.

"It is not the end," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"That is football, you have high periods and then you have low ones."

Looks like Pep is looking to change some things.

What about the view from one of the papers in spain though "Sport: "Football punishes Barca with the most injust exit" - "It is difficult to explain how the club could throw away a match in which they were so infinitely better than their opponents. The Chelsea team at Camp Nou was like that of the first leg at Stamford Bridge, stingy, cowardly, miserable."

Bitter much? Sound like the Taigs tbh.

Looks like Pep is looking to change some things.

What about the view from one of the papers in spain though "Sport: "Football punishes Barca with the most injust exit" - "It is difficult to explain how the club could throw away a match in which they were so infinitely better than their opponents. The Chelsea team at Camp Nou was like that of the first leg at Stamford Bridge, stingy, cowardly, miserable."

Bitter much? Sound like the Taigs tbh.

That's a bit pitiful ... actually, it's a lot pitiful. Barcelona were pitiful and totally bereft of imagination and ideas. Barcelona didn't attack with any real conviction in the second half, most of the game seemed to revolved around lateral passes in a ten yard corridor outside of Chelsea's box. I thought Barca had replaced their outfield players with ten Ray Wilkins at one stage.