Another no mark in Greens consortium having a dig at Walter.

Put up or shut up: Green partner McDonald hits out at Walter

PUBLISHED: 22:00, 15 June 2012 | UPDATED: 22:00, 15 June 2012

article-2160028-0B2AF653000005DC-340_306x423.jpgUnder fire: Walter Smith

The business partner of new Rangers owner Charles Green has warned Walter Smith's takeover consortium to either put up or shut up.

Former Sheffield United chairman Mike McDonald leapt to the defence of his long-term ally as Green came under mounting fans' pressure to accept an offer from a group involving Smith, Scotland's richest man Jim McColl, Douglas Park and former director Dave King.

Revealing that the Smith consortium is just one of THREE parties to make their interest known since the completion of a £5.5million deal on Thursday, however, McDonald has warned all the bidders to prove they have means to take the club forward.

Sportsmail understands the Smith group are willing to pay up to £8m for the club and hope to meet with Green, McDonald and active investors early next week.

Angered by the calls for supporters to delay the purchase of season tickets, however, McDonald has queried why the Smith consortium waited so long to enter the bidding - branding the move 'mischief-making'.

'People say Charles should sell, but the answer to that is, "Where is the offer?",' McDonald told Sportsmail.

'Where is the proof of funding and the necessary offer? It's all right saying they are going to do this or do that. It's fine to talk to the press and the fans, but if they've got something to offer, then they have to make a formal offer.

'They have to put their money where their mouths are. That's what Charlie and his team did.

'Where were Walter Smith and his team when David Murray and Craig Whyte were running the club into the ground?

'These guys sat there and let all this happen and now, all of a sudden, they are back saying they want to do this and that.'

A business acquaintance of Green's for 40 years, McDonald has not invested in the takeover, but will provide the cash for new players if an SFA transfer embargo is lifted.

Insisting the Green group are at Rangers for the long haul, he revealed approaches from other parties on Thursday - the same day the Smith consortium made public their interest.

'We had plenty of Scottish people coming to us yesterday saying they want to get involved. And we've always said: "OK, put your money where your mouth is". Every day people come to us.'

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'We had plenty of Scottish people coming to us yesterday saying they want to get involved. And we've always said: "OK, put your money where your mouth is". Every day people come to us.'

Aye, thats why you have about 5 investors ya fanny.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Good intent isn't going to save our club, but greed might. I'd rather Green made a profit than wait forever for those 'with our best interests at heart' to step in. Now, if a legend like Walter proves that his bid has substance then - of course - I'll be completely behind him.

If the Walter-led consortium wants to take control of Rangers then they must be prepared to answer the same questions we've posed to every other group. We do need their proof of funds, we do need their long-term plan. And we do need an offer. Don't let your heart rule on this one.

We don't have any of that for Green's consortium.

I'm putting my full backing and trust in to a consortium made of real Rangers men, I'll let them focus on getting our club from a bunch of liars first before I question them. (tu)

Real Rangers men such a misused phrase, where were all the minted real Rangers men when we suffering torture by a thousand cuts each and every day, maybe they were looking for a sticking plaster, as long as it didn't cost anything and they didn't get liquidation blood on their hands.

This guy is a fucking cracker. Your mate charlie struggled to get 5.5million for our club ya fanny.

And your wanting walter to prove his funds to a no mark like u?

For a start Jim McColl is one of the richest guys in Scotland if not the richest? 10310.gif

Really smart cunt this one isn't he slagging a legend that the fans would love to have as part of our club again.

Alot of confusion about this. Green said he will be out in that time if everything goes well but hes just the public face of the new owners. The money men, Zeus Capital want to stay for the long term i believe.

No confusion, he is not in for the long term.What he does is try to get companies up and running and able to go forward,then he leaves when his job is done with a reward if successful. He has said this many times but people seem to be confused about his role.

Sorry just reread it again, it says he didnt invest in asset purchase but willing to put money in for players.

He will invest In players for a cut of the sales profits. That was the deal Green mention way back when his interest was first made public. Terrible deal when the alternative is Sir Walter reinvesting every penny into the club.

Green's consortium are the only bunch who have lived up to any of their promises so far. Walter Smith or not, Green is my preferred choice at the moment.

Jesus, we as a support will never learn.

We deserve as we get if this is the attitude of most.

This guys a right c**t. He's the one who wants to buy us players if he can take the profits from their sales. In it for the money and don't trust them one bit.

It's probably not a bad idea in the short term until we get back on our feet, and remeber if any of the players are duds it's him that takes the hit.

This guy is a fucking cracker. Your mate charlie struggled to get 5.5million for our club ya fanny.

And your wanting walter to prove his funds to a no mark like u?

For a start Jim McColl is one of the richest guys in Scotland if not the richest? 10310.gif

Really smart cunt this one isn't he slagging a legend that the fans would love to have as part of our club again.

I think we've seen that personal wealth doesn't necessarily translate to willingness to put-up money for the club. Yes, Green only managed to put together £5.5 million, but that's significantly more than any other bidder*.

*Besides, with various other costs added, his investment actually totals closer to £10m.