The NewCo Wikipedia wobble latest

North Rd

From FC Business Blog

Following on from my last blog on how Wikipedia are struggling to come to terms with the Rangers NewCo situation, I recieved this brilliant response from Andrew Dickson, Publications Editor at the club about how they see it. Ive copied the whole response below.

More than happy to hear any more comments on this.

I post this as a Rangers employee and someone who has obviously followed this story very closely throughout. The issue of whether Wiki persevere with their current Rangers page or start a new one is one they quite frankly shouldnt be putting themselves through.

As someone said to me the other day, a Kit Kat was still a Kit Kat when Rowntrees was bought over by Nestle and production of the chocolate bar continued. It still used the same ingredients and tasted exactly the same, thus nobody talked of it being a new product. By the same token, Rangers is still the same football club which was formed in 1872 and it is simply the case that its holding company has changed.

Rangers were previously owned by Rangers Football Club plc, which was formed in 1899 and will soon be liquidated. Rangers is now owned by Sevco Scotland Ltd, which will shortly become The Rangers Football Club. It might be a new company which owns the club but the club itself is still the same one. It will still turn out a team which plays in blue called Rangers and which plays at Ibrox Stadium. The manager is still the same, as are most of the staff minus some of the playing squad from last season. Crucially, the clubs history has been retained in the same way as the histories of clubs such as Middlesbrough and Leed United were retained when they went through newco situations.

Due to the nature of Glasgows goldfish bowl environment, half the city is trying to push the belief Rangers is a brand new club while the other half argues against such a notion. The fact is its still exactly the same club it has been for the last 140 years but it is owned by a different company now to the one which owned it for the last 113 years, some 27 years after the club itself was formed.

This entry was posted in Latest Posts and tagged Football, newco, Rangers, scotland, scottish, sevco, sfl, spl by fcbusiness. Bookmark the permalink. About fcbusiness

fcbusiness is the business magazine for the football industry. ...because football is no ordinary business

View all posts by fcbusiness → One thought on The NewCo Wikipedia wobble latest now a Rangers man has his say Mcivor V2.0 on July 17, 2012 at 10:02 said:

So every Football Club/Company from now on who runs into financial difficulties can just continue trading and walk away from their debt?

Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

On a side note to this i think we can see now that Timmy is and always has been jealous of our history.

The myth that they had a more succesful history has well and truly been shot to bits by their actions over the last few weeks on wiki, they seem desperate to prove that Rangers fc are not infact Rangers fc, why would you do that unless jealously was eating away at them?

The lurkers know it and always will......The Ramsdens Cup, and Div 3,2 and 1 titles will soon be added to the huge amount of trophies that the Gers have won.

This is just like republicans saying "Derry" instead of "Londonderry" and celtic fans saying theyve won the champions league, and George Bush using the word "terrorist" constantly. Just because you repeat something over doesnt make it so.

The "celtic minded" literally think that if they say the same things over and over and keep banging it into peoples heads means its actually true. This just adds to their delusion.

They say Rangers is dead repeatedly hoping that people will hear it enough to accept it as fact. They also say it because of the fact that they look like total obsessed idiots after the whole "jelly and ice cream when rangers die" crap. A guy in my work had as his screen saver in work a banner saying "Greenock King of Kings is Having a Party When R*****S Die!" I pointed out the fact that this was rather obsessive, then I asked him when this party was, he didnt have a clue, if Rangers is dead then why are they still going on about us so much?

The fact is that these "people" live in their own wee world. So they convince themselves that everything that works in their favour is fact and pretend that the whole world agrees with them. Sad really.

From FC Business Blog

Following on from my last blog on how Wikipedia are struggling to come to terms with the Rangers NewCo situation, I recieved this brilliant response from Andrew Dickson, Publications Editor at the club about how they see it. I’ve copied the whole response below.

More than happy to hear any more comments on this.

“I post this as a Rangers employee and someone who has obviously followed this story very closely throughout. The issue of whether Wiki persevere with their current Rangers page or start a new one is one they quite frankly shouldn’t be putting themselves through.

As someone said to me the other day, a Kit Kat was still a Kit Kat when Rowntree’s was bought over by Nestle and production of the chocolate bar continued. It still used the same ingredients and tasted exactly the same, thus nobody talked of it being a new product. By the same token, Rangers is still the same football club which was formed in 1872 and it is simply the case that its holding company has changed.

Rangers were previously owned by Rangers Football Club plc, which was formed in 1899 and will soon be liquidated. Rangers is now owned by Sevco Scotland Ltd, which will shortly become The Rangers Football Club. It might be a new company which owns the club but the club itself is still the same one. It will still turn out a team which plays in blue called Rangers and which plays at Ibrox Stadium. The manager is still the same, as are most of the staff minus some of the playing squad from last season. Crucially, the club’s history has been retained in the same way as the histories of clubs such as Middlesbrough and Leed United were retained when they went through ‘newco’ situations.

Due to the nature of Glasgow’s ‘goldfish bowl’ environment, half the city is trying to push the belief Rangers is a brand new club while the other half argues against such a notion. The fact is it’s still exactly the same club it has been for the last 140 years but it is owned by a different company now to the one which owned it for the last 113 years, some 27 years after the club itself was formed.”

This entry was posted in Latest Posts and tagged Football, newco, Rangers, scotland, scottish, sevco, sfl, spl by fcbusiness. Bookmark the permalink. About fcbusiness

fcbusiness is the business magazine for the football industry. ...because football is no ordinary business

View all posts by fcbusiness → One thought on “The NewCo Wikipedia wobble latest – now a Rangers man has his say” Mcivor V2.0 on July 17, 2012 at 10:02 said:

So every Football Club/Company from now on who runs into financial difficulties can just continue trading and walk away from their debt?

Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Only inaccuarcy is the fabled "one half of Glasgow mince". It is 2/3rd Blue and 1/3rd others...... other than that , good to see AD earn his corn!

Another point to note. Even if you do accept that "Sevco" is a completely different football team to Rangers, why is it that "Sevco" has millions of fans worldwide, and the team I started in my back garden has one fan? It is because of the history going back to 1872.

If you landed in Glasgow on your flying saucer and had never heard about "Sevco" Football Club before, you might go to Wikipedia to find out a bit about it, and you would want to read all about the history going back to 1872, the nine in a row, the winning of more championship titles than any other club in the world and so on. These are important things you would want to read about. You would want to read about the newco situation as well, so that information should be included in the article.

The point is, that an encyclopaedia article should include all relevant information about the subject, not just the legally relevant information.

Here's my comment on the talk page

Merge Imagine if you will that you are an alien from outer space. You look out of the porthole of your flying saucer as it flies over Glasgow and you see Ibrox Stadium, and lots of people walking around the streets wearing Rangers shirts. You want to find out more about this, and naturally, you turn to Wikipedia to read about it. The reason this team has so many fans, and so many green shirted people who hate it stems back to the history of the club from 1872. A wikipedia article should cover all this, because it is relevant information. Clearly the liquidation and newco situation is relevant information as well, so there should be a section covering it, but the purpose of Wikipedia is to provide all relevant information in one place, not to reflect just the legal situation. Jonbryce (talk) 21:07, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

I would encourage everyone else to make comments as well. Don't just copy what I say or reply saying you agree with me. Come up with your own reasons and say it in your own words. It isn't a vote, it is based on which side can come up with the best arguments in favour of their point of view.

Here's my comment on the talk page

I would encourage everyone else to make comments as well. Don't just copy what I say or reply saying you agree with me. Come up with your own reasons and say it in your own words. It isn't a vote, it is based on which side can come up with the best arguments in favour of their point of view.

It is not a fucking debate mate, you've let the tarriers inside your head. We are The Rangers pure and simple, if we were a new club then we would have to have been going for 3 years to get into the SFA ... Doncaster said it in his interview, Rangers are a member of the SFA and wish to transfer the company share over to a newco

Not fucking debatable in the slightest.

More of those pedo cunts believe in santa clause than Jimmy Torbett that should tell you everything you need to know about them,

It is not a fucking debate mate, you've let the tarriers inside your head. We are The Rangers pure and simple, if we were a new club then we would have to have been going for 3 years to get into the SFA ... Doncaster said it in his interview, Rangers are a member of the SFA and wish to transfer the company share over to a newco

Not fucking debatable in the slightest.

More of those pedo cunts believe in santa clause than Jimmy Torbett that should tell you everything you need to know about them,

I know that. You know that. However, for the purposes of the wikipedia article, it doesn't matter whether we are a new club or not. Our history makes us what we are, new club or otherwise. We need to point out that regardless of the validity of their claim, it doesn't make any difference either way.