Our Founders and the Arlington Baths Glasgow.

The Arlington Baths were built in 1871 and stand on Arlington Street in the West End of Glasgow.

Arlington Street almost bordered the touchline of Rangers home at Burnbank where we played for one season from 1875-76.

I had thought, that due to our Founders love of sport, that there was a fair chance that they, or team-mates or family, may have been members of the Arlington Baths.

So i set off last week and chapped their door.

I was lucky enough to be greeted by the current Chairman of the Arlington Baths who was delighted when i explained the possible link with the Rangers Pioneers.

As we sat in the Lounge my eye caught a War Memorial with names engraved of members who'd fallen during the two World Wars.

Listed were :

Peter McNeil's son John Fraser McNeil

and

Tom Vallance's son Harold Vallance.

John Fraser McNeil was 2nd Lieutenant with the Royal Field Artillery Regiment , he made it to within two months of the Armistice before he died in France on 9th September 1918 aged 31.

Harold Vallance joined the 7th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry . He died in September 1918 just 6 weeks before Armistice day.

The members books for the Arlington Baths are held at the Mitchell Library. Dubwiser has had an initial look but we'll dig into this more thoroughly as the weeks progress.

It's a link to our past that another establishment in Glasgow is delighted to share with us.

The Arlington Baths.

http://www.arlingtonbaths.co.uk/about/463/

It's incredible inside.

It has held it's grandeur and decadence really well.

sounds good mate, i love places like that, reckon theyd let me in just for a nosey? Wouldnt wanna blag that i am interested in joining but i would like a peek...would make a change to spending all my money a PRW before the game!

sounds good mate, i love places like that, reckon theyd let me in just for a nosey? Wouldnt wanna blag that i am interested in joining but i would like a peek...would make a change to spending all my money a PRW before the game!

Chap the door and tell them you'd like a look around.

They couldn't have been nicer when i was there.

Good work again moonlighter

Do vallance or McNeil have a resting place in France as I plan to visit the Somme again later on in the year and it woul be nice to visit their resting place

John Fraser McNeil is buried at the Lingy-St. Flochel British cemetery in the town of Averdoingt near Arras.

I'm not sure about Harold Vallance, i'll have our records checked later tonight.

Harold Vallances burial details via the CWCG website.

My link

detailsVALLANCE, HAROLD LEONARD

Date of Death:28/09/1918

Regiment/Service:Highland Light Infantry

7th Bn.

Grave ReferenceIV. G. 3.

CemeteryABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information:

Son of Thos. and Marion Vallance, of Glasgow.

From some of the information I have to hand I can fill in some gaps.

At the age of 29, dying as a 2nd Lt in the 7th Bn then he will have been commissioned from the ranks given that the 7th Bn was raised at the start of the war. Also, given the attrition rate of junior officers meant that you would be unlikely to stay as a 2nd Lt for very long after a major battle. (There are instances of very junior 2Lts being promoted to Capt after a single battle as there was no-one else left to take up the role.) The British Army was running out of aristocracy and upper middle class public school educated young men to be officers. This meant they extended the opportunity to become an officer to those of lower middle class backgrounds especially those in the ranks who had shown themselves to be natural leaders whilst in the ranks. The one catch was that if you had been elevated from the ranks you had to be posted to a different Battalion from that which you had served in before.

The 7th Bn was part of the 157th (Highland Light Infantry) Brigade of the 52nd Lowland Division. Other units were the 5th Bn HLI, 6th Bn HLI (2Lt Vallances original Bn), 9th Bn HLI and the 5th Bn A&SH. This Division was heavily involved in the 2nd Battle of the Somme, the 2nd Battle of Arras and the Advance on the Hindenburg line.

Given that the cemetery was attached to three hospitals that existed in that area at various times in the war, it could be assumed that he had been wounded and had passed through the medical evacuation system. This would suggest that he was wounded during one of these three battles mentioned above, or as part of the daily attrition that occured in the First World War.

I hope this helps.