Graham Spears

ruaridhmac

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much you do with only 140 characters but I let him know we are not fooled by his "faux-Rangers" crap!

GrahamSpiers @Pmacgiollabhain when you sup with the devil graham you become one of them same as when you both shared radio clyde airtime

Not much you do with only 140 characters but I let him know we are not fooled by his "faux-Rangers" crap!

GrahamSpiers @Pmacgiollabhain when you sup with the devil graham you become one of them same as when you both shared radio clyde airtime

Phillmacghobshite should be burned , the mans a fucking inhuman poison to society

Speirs just panders to the minority in this country (we all know who they are),because the majority already know be is a fckn arsehole.

Talking about arseholes,remember the comment from that Thomson cunt when he said that he was well informed in all aspects of football in Scotland,and Glasgow in perticular,because Spiersy told me so.

Now excuse me if im wrong,is that not known in the trade as A PAIR OF FANNYS....

Speirs just panders to the minority in this country (we all know who they are),because the majority already know be is a fckn arsehole.

Talking about arseholes,remember the comment from that Thomson cunt when he said that he was well informed in all aspects of football in Scotland,and Glasgow in perticular,because Spiersy told me so.

Now excuse me if im wrong,is that not known in the trade as A PAIR OF FANNYS....

Spears and Thomson are parasites of the human race

What an utter dick. Can you imagine if he said that about them getting rid of their catholic/timmy image...Hell would break loose with them.

The journalists just write anything about us and Protestantism and get away with it!!!!! :wanker:

The difference being that Celtic started as a cause to aid the catholic charities, raising money via a footballing team. (Or so we are led to believe)

We began out of a love for the footballing game.

Our roots and history will be here long after Spiers is in the ground.

Roots? Since when was Rangers football club rooted in protestantism?

This will be an extremely unpopular opinion I'm sure but anyhow; I'm not a religious person, and I don't aim to take away the fact that there is a protestant link within the history of our clubs support (coincidentally starting at a similar time to when a Harland and Wolff shipyard appeared in the Govan docks in close proximity to Ibrox in 1912 - a northern Irish company, with Northern Irish workers...) but our club is not rooted in protestantism dear fellow, it's rooted in the Gareloch, in the four young men that formed a team for the love of the footballing game they witnessed one day from the banks of the Clyde. It's rooted within the trees at Glasgow Green and under the moonlight at Kinning Park, in the three matches it took to decide the Scottish Cup Final in 1877, and in the lost innocence of the game as it turned professional in 1893.

Despite that, I do not think that the club should shy away from the Protestant link within our history, but from 1872 - 1912 there was no defining religion within our support, I'm sure pre-1888 there would have been plenty of Irish-Catholics in the support, it may not have happened over night either in 1912, but gradually the club has grown a link with protestantism and Great Britain over the years.

I will point it out anytime that anyone mentions Celtic being catholic, and mentioning protestantism with links to our roots, purely out of respect for the boys that founded it, and the truth in history (see the Kelvingrove Museum article on the Old Firm from a few years back, ying and yang)

With regards to faux-protestantism, I'm sure there is plenty of it within the support, as much as there is faux-Catholicism within Celtics', and faux-christianity within society itself.

There will be a number that mention all of the religious aspects and do not attend church or live a christian life, within both teams and generally within every walk of life.

There are however a good number of church attending believers on both sides I'm sure, respect to them for their beliefs, but I do not agree with either personally, when it's linked to sport especially.

People follow Rangers in their own way, I respect that as much as I'd expect them to respect the way I follow Rangers, at the end of the day - we are all Bears, we all support the team win or lose, no matter in what way :pipe:

The difference being that Celtic started as a cause to aid the catholic charities, raising money via a footballing team. (Or so we are led to believe)

We began out of a love for the footballing game.

Roots? Since when was Rangers football club rooted in protestantism?

This will be an extremely unpopular opinion I'm sure but anyhow; I'm not a religious person, and I don't aim to take away the fact that there is a protestant link within the history of our clubs support (coincidentally starting at a similar time to when a Harland and Wolff shipyard appeared in the Govan docks in close proximity to Ibrox in 1912 - a northern Irish company, with Northern Irish workers...) but our club is not rooted in protestantism dear fellow, it's rooted in the Gareloch, in the four young men that formed a team for the love of the footballing game they witnessed one day from the banks of the Clyde. It's rooted within the trees at Glasgow Green and under the moonlight at Kinning Park, in the three matches it took to decide the Scottish Cup Final in 1877, and in the lost innocence of the game as it turned professional in 1893.

Despite that, I do not think that the club should shy away from the Protestant link within our history, but from 1872 - 1912 there was no defining religion within our support, I'm sure pre-1888 there would have been plenty of Irish-Catholics in the support, it may not have happened over night either in 1912, but gradually the club has grown a link with protestantism and Great Britain over the years.

I will point it out anytime that anyone mentions Celtic being catholic, and mentioning protestantism with links to our roots, purely out of respect for the boys that founded it, and the truth in history (see the Kelvingrove Museum article on the Old Firm from a few years back, ying and yang)

Repped. As many as is allowed. Id give them all if I could.

there is a protestant link within the history of our clubs support (coincidentally starting at a similar time to when a Harland and Wolff shipyard appeared in the Govan docks in close proximity to Ibrox in 1912 - a northern Irish company, with Northern Irish workers...)

What is your evidence that there was no Protestant 'link' with the club before 1912?

What is your evidence that there was no Protestant 'link' with the club before 1912?

Where is the evidence to state to the contrary good sir? There is no mention of it in any of the research I have seen/read/done of the early years.

John Ure Primrose (Chairman of Rangers from 1912-23, but a member of the club since 1887) would be the closest thing to a link of Rangers and protestantism (well, opposition to the Home Rule) in the early years that I've seen.

It's no black and white thing, 1912 will be a general date of a link between Protestatism and Rangers support, I can't imagine upon the first day of Harland and Wolff's opening in Govan the club suddenly gained a hugely Protestant following (exageration, I know) and I'm sure there were fans of Rangers pre-1912 that were of protestant belief.

I believe it to have been a culmination of the location of Ibrox in proximity to the shipyards, John Ure Primrose upon becoming chairman of the club (both 1912) and protestant football fans within Glasgow wanting a team to support, obviously they weren't going to Parkhead to watch their football week in week out! Of course the Northern Irish shipyard workers of Protestant belief would have met up with like minded individuals in Glasgow, and I'm sure we gained a good amount of support through that too. "Come on and see this team we've started watching in Govan!"

Unless you were there as a supporter from the early days of 1872, and for the next 50 years consistently it'll be hard to exactly pinpoint how the support changed without first hand sources speaking about it. Interestingly Willie Maley of Celtic's early years is the only opinion I've seen mention it, stating that he thought there was no bad blood between the teams and support pre-1912.

Slightly off topic, I also read an article in a newspaper from the time about our team whilst they were at Kinning Park, mentioning what appeared to be a 'well off' contingent to our support complaining about the 'common' element that had started to appear at our games, making noise and causing fights. (I'll have to try dig that article out).

come clean, then. Having written like this, it wouldn’t do to then skive off without relaying my own football background. For the purposes of a book about Rangers which came out three years ago, I had to sit down and work out how many times I visited Ibrox as a boy between 1969 and 1982, and realised it totalled more than 200.

Graham speirs - glasgow herald feb 2010