Ally enjoying the Third Division, doesn't mind the hacking.

Boab

Ally McCoist admits he is getting a real kick out of the Third Division.

His players, on the other hand, are just getting kicked.

The Rangers boss insists he’s delighted to see his boys do battle with Scottish football’s minnows — because that sort of stuff has been booted out the SPL.

The Ibrox boss has winced on the sidelines as his players end up on the end of heavy tackles.

McCoist is in no rush to bleat, instead he says it’s refreshing.

He said: “I’d encourage it because it’s what gives us a real competitive game when away from home.

“It’s what makes it so special for these guys. If they were better footballers they’d be playing for the likes of Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen.

“Some of the tackles against Falkirk were meatier than against East Stirling — and you wince at times. But I quite enjoy it.

“I’ve been pleased so far with the referees because not every first time tackle has been a yellow card.”

I liked his last point, it must remind him of his own days.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4504786/McCoists-not-putting-boot-into-the-SFL.html#ixzz24bWRXKwU

TBH when tackling was allowed, players didn't get crippled every week. Major injuries don't seem to be any less common than they were when a big stopper could boot a striker up in the air. I'm fairly sure its a false argument.

I think things like blades and the firmer less 'give' modern playing surfaces in top leagues contribute greatly to increased number of acl and metatarsle injuries we see now. Injuries caused by bad tackles are less common the type of injuries has changed slighly over the years but on the whole i think the game is much worse for trying to remove the art of tackling.