Barcelona...

I can't put my finger on why they were so shite.

I certainly don't think it was anything that Celtic were doing that made them play that poorly, but there must have been something causing it.

I think they really miss Danny Alves,who links so well and gives them proper width wide right unlike Adriano who always turns inside and passes back. It was noticeable the reluctance to play the ball to Adriano unless there was no other possible option.

Despite having Messi, I think they still lack a striker. They lack a constant presence in the box, wingers getting into positions with no one to cross to, balls being wasted. I know it's not their game but they also lack a physical threat, and their attacking corners are quite frankly pathetic.

I think they really miss Danny Alves,who links so well and gives them proper width wide right unlike Adriano who always turns inside and passes back. It was noticeable the reluctance to play the ball to Adriano unless there was no other possible option.

They do miss him even though he is incredibly wasteful. He just is the perfect type of player for their system.

People questioning Pedro's ability...:anguish:!

Barca were so poor tonight. Yet still had over 80% possession and 24 shots on goal. In 2 weeks I fully expect them to go out and beat the scum convincingly. Need to play Villa / Fabregas. 2 players with slightly more hunger than Messi showed tonight...think he just couldn't be arsed :lol:.

Couldnt break down the 10 man defence, it happened against Chelsea too.

They don't have a plan B, they keep playing the same tippy tappy stuff hoping for something to come off. it worked in the end but it will no odubt see them get knocked out at some point.

The corners were terrible too, just a long punt to a guy outside the box so they could start the 2 yard passes all over again.

A lot of people mention this "plan B" that Barcelona need to come up with. I would ask what exactly would you suggest is the best way to play when faced with 9 defensive players within 20-30 yards of their goal?

Barcelona have a system that they all know very well, have worked to instill from the youths all the way through their set up. This system has brought them a huge amount of success. No system is perfect, of course.

The counter point would be that, I also think the way Celtic played last night is the best way to try and stifle Barca. Chelsea & Inter have done likewise in the past. The fact is you look back over the past 5 years and it is only really a handful of matches where it stands out that their system did not function and they therefore have some desperate need for a plan B?

Another point, to me there is a consistent theme in these matches where teams do manage to show the way to stop Barcelona...they also rely on a lot of luck to survive. Credit has to go to the defensive organisation and workrate, but you can't tell me these teams didn't carry luck as well?

Even last night, Barcelona were certainly not at their best, Celtic performed very well but Forster made at least 3 top class saves, Bartra missed a sitter of a header and Villa was denied by the post. Any one of those chances go in and the whole game probably would have been different and could well have been looking at 4-1 or more!

A lot of people mention this "plan B" that Barcelona need to come up with. I would ask what exactly would you suggest is the best way to play when faced with 9 defensive players within 20-30 yards of their goal?

Barcelona have a system that they all know very well, have worked to instill from the youths all the way through their set up. This system has brought them a huge amount of success. No system is perfect, of course.

The counter point would be that, I also think the way Celtic played last night is the best way to try and stifle Barca. Chelsea & Inter have done likewise in the past. The fact is you look back over the past 5 years and it is only really a handful of matches where it stands out that their system did not function and they therefore have some desperate need for a plan B?

Another point, to me there is a consistent theme in these matches where teams do manage to show the way to stop Barcelona...they also rely on a lot of luck to survive. Credit has to go to the defensive organisation and workrate, but you can't tell me these teams didn't carry luck as well?

Even last night, Barcelona were certainly not at their best, Celtic performed very well but Forster made at least 3 top class saves, Bartra missed a sitter of a header and Villa was denied by the post. Any one of those chances go in and the whole game probably would have been different and could well have been looking at 4-1 or more!

Eh they were taking fucking corner kicks to guys outside the box and just passing sideways for about 5 minutes trying to find an impossible pass to feed someone in.

It cost them the CL final against Chelsea because they did the exact same thing, teams need different ways of playing when things are not going to plan and Barcelona just do not have that luckily 90% of the time their usual game is good enough but if teams perform like the taigs or Chelsea then they are snookered.

Eh they were taking fucking corner kicks to guys outside the box and just passing sideways for about 5 minutes trying to find an impossible pass to feed someone in.

It cost them the CL final against Chelsea because they did the exact same thing, teams need different ways of playing when things are not going to plan and Barcelona just do not have that luckily 90% of the time their usual game is good enough but if teams perform like the taigs or Chelsea then they are snookered.

Long ball?

Despite having Messi, I think they still lack a striker. They lack a constant presence in the box, wingers getting into positions with no one to cross to, balls being wasted. I know it's not their game but they also lack a physical threat, and their attacking corners are quite frankly pathetic.

They will add Falcao I would have thought.

He'd be some signing for them and would offer something different when the predictable pass..pass...pass does not work.

Barca like Real are still the 2 best sides to watch! Both different styles but better than anything else in Europe imo! The problem is only teams in Spain will have a go at Barca and Real, hence why its not unusual in Spain to have games finish 6 3, 5 2 etc!

Rangers were the first 2 show how to play Barca and again it was thanks to Walter! The man slammed with anti football had Moruinho, Di matteo, the wee fat taig fuck and a few others copy how we set up! At Ibrox after defending so well, better finishes from Cousin and Fergie would have seen us win comfortably!

The la liga teams seem to play the same way against Barca and Real which is to just go for it! If they started sitting in etc then you would see tighter games over there

No, putting balls into the box from wide areas which was avoided at all costs last night where Pedro would just pass it back to someone instead of driving into the wing and drilling a ball into the box.

Tbf mate minus Pique and Puyol they have nobody to aim for and the mickeys defence and team are huge! So they would lump it in and lose posession!

I'm talking about corners btw :lol:

No, putting balls into the box from wide areas which was avoided at all costs last night where Pedro would just pass it back to someone instead of driving into the wing and drilling a ball into the box.

That's a type of long ball isn't it? Certainly isn't sexy football :P

See if Barca had Big Jig, they'd have the perfect team.

Agree on their corners, and I had actually meant to mention that in my original post!

True, they could have fired the ball in to the box from the wide areas...but not really sure it would have been much of a percentage ball given they would have been outnumbered and up against significantly bigger opponents.

You say when they come up against this type of performance by Celtic or Chelsea they are "snookered", well firstly they won last night...against Chelsea, Messi scores his penalty and pretty sure they win that, against Inter they actually did score and was wrongly chopped off. It's small margins obviously but even on those occasions where their system "fails" they could so easily have won against Chelsea, legitimately should have won against Inter and did win against Celtic!

Actually think Madrid's performance at Camp Nou last year was the best I have seen anyone show up Barca, but really I think that was a lot more to do with the confidence and form of the respective teams than specifically a failing in Barca's system. Madrid were just simply better at that time and certainly on the day.

That's a type of long ball isn't it? Certainly isn't sexy football :P

See if Barca had Big Jig, they'd have the perfect team.

They only want Falcao cause he's a bit younger! Rangers are bracing themselfs for a double swoop of Faure and Jig

Agree on their corners, and I had actually meant to mention that in my original post!

True, they could have fired the ball in to the box from the wide areas...but not really sure it would have been much of a percentage ball given they would have been outnumbered and up against significantly bigger opponents.

You say when they come up against this type of performance by Celtic or Chelsea they are "snookered", well firstly they won last night...against Chelsea, Messi scores his penalty and pretty sure they win that, against Inter they actually did score and was wrongly chopped off. It's small margins obviously but even on those occasions where their system "fails" they could so easily have won against Chelsea, legitimately should have won against Inter and did win against Celtic!

Actually think Madrid's performance at Camp Nou last year was the best I have seen anyone show up Barca, but really I think that was a lot more to do with the confidence and form of the respective teams than specifically a failing in Barca's system. Madrid were just simply better at that time and certainly on the day.

Chelsea could also have scored 2 goals at the Nou Camp with better finishing and last night the taigs could have had another from a set play which was a free header, at the back barcelona are terrible at the minute.

They got what they deserved last night because of the amount of ball they had although they could have had no complaints if it was 1-1 because they refused to shoot or try anything different for long periods of the game where it was just aimless passing across the midfield area.

If teams set up like the taigs last night then barcelona may well struggle against better teams who can counter better, I'm not sure if it was just a case of the Barca players expecting an easy game or they just ran out of ideas.

Tbf mate minus Pique and Puyol they have nobody to aim for and the mickeys defence and team are huge! So they would lump it in and lose posession!

I'm talking about corners btw :lol:

You don't need to be tall to win balls or score from corners, I have seen Barca score many a goal from them in the past couple of years and Messi has got a good few of them despite being tiny. It;s all about movement and dragging your marker out of position.

Crossing into the box is a bit different to a Rangers hoof ball from our own 6 yard line up the park..

Not fair that. We've settled down now and it's not common at all..

I'm saying lots want us to play like Barca , no matter what, and beat these SFL3 teams easy, and its been highlighted here that Barca need a plan b to beat some teams tactics. When a team puts that many behind the ball that deep then a "Rangers hoof ball" (as you put it) can be the perfect way to unlock it

Not fair that. We've settled down now and it's not common at all..

I'm saying lots want us to play like Barca , no matter what, and beat these SFL3 teams easy, and its been highlighted here that Barca need a plan b to beat some teams tactics. When a team puts that many behind the ball that deep then a "Rangers hoof ball" (as you put it) can be the perfect way to unlock it

Not settled at all imo but I'm not talking about Rangers here.

Barcelona don't need hoof balls up the park as they can pass their way there with ease, it's when they get to the final third they need to vary their attacks a bit more imo like crossing into the box rather than passing it into the net when 10 players are defending for their lives.