Ally McCoist seeks new players - while Charles Green pursues former ones

EatDolphins

ALLY McCoist believes that the global coverage of Rangers' fall from grace can actually help him attract players to Ibrox.

The story of Rangers collapse and re-emergence in the Third Division has attracted interest from around the world, with a number of foreign reporters attending media conferences and matches as Rangers begin their journey back up from the bottom tier.

And McCoist hopes such exposure can boost his chances of selling the club to potential signing targets.

A transfer embargo means Rangers must wait until September 1 before they can register free agents - and January 2014 before buying players - but they can negotiate pre-contract agreements this month.

McCoist told the club's website: "We've got a massive list of players from all over the world which we are looking over at the moment.

"We're keeping on top of the SPL players because we'd be crazy not to but we're looking far outwith that as well.

"We're doing our groundwork early and we've got to do that. We can't register players until September but we've got to continue to scout."

He added: "We've had camera crews and journalists here from all over the world and what is happening here has very much become a global story.

"I don't think that has done us any harm in the respect of trying to get players in here because we are very much at the forefront of people's news and views.

"It's up to us to utilise that. That has shown with one or two agents we are just touching base with to keep in touch with their players and there has certainly been a keenness from them to come here."

Meanwhile, chief executive Charles Green has reiterated his determination to pursue former players he believes were in breach of contract when they refused to transfer to his Newco in the summer.

Rangers are seeking compensation after Allan McGregor, Kyle Lafferty, Jamie Ness, Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker and Sone Aluko quit Ibrox for moves to Besiktas, Sion, Stoke City, Everton, Norwich City and Hull City respectively.

A meeting took place on Monday at Hampden to discuss jurisdiction on the case and Green says he was encouraged by the talks.

Speaking on the club's online TV channel, Rangers TV, he commented: "From our side it went as well as we could have expected. From the other side I'm sure they will be disappointed.

"Clearly they wanted the commission to throw it out and rule that the SFA had no jurisdiction because the whole process of the first meeting was about jurisdiction.

"It is still my position that these players breached their contracts and we are going to pursue them.

"Both parties were asked to go away and discuss various issues. We have been given until January 21 by the chair of the commission to come back to him.

"In the absence that the parties can't agree or cannot come up with a view, he will make a judgement.

"Hopefully, through the lawyers, we can come up with an agreement on these issues and, at that point, the commission can start taking the thing forward.

"We are quite a way off from the position we want to achieve in terms of gaining compensation. We are not going to let this drop as I have said since June."

Rangers settled with Southampton, Coventry City and Sheffield Wednesday over Steve Davis, John Fleck and Rhys McCabe respectively.

I think this is the ideal to sell our brand and tell our story to the Asian markets. We have been far too behind in this area for far too long.

When you think about all the bad publicity we've had over the last 12 months, rightly or wrongly, our name has been spread far and wide. And as near as I can make out our reputation has been bolstered and we are coming out of this more popular and favorable than before. Every one loves a good underdog story and ours is certainly being told with gusto...abroad at least.