***The Official Dundee United v Rangers Thread***

wearethepeople1

Right, the game is upon us. Biggest game of the season so far.

We have ALOT of work to do this week to get to a standard to beat them up there IMO

Going with today's showing and recent form then this is going to be very hard to get a win.

It's a cup tie so there is always a chance but a massive improvement throughout the whole team is needed.

This is a gauge to see how far we have come under McCoist this season. With our squad of players we should be able to compete with this mob

Heart says 2-0 rangers

Head says 0-3 DUFC

And to any fans thinking of going, please don't. Respect the wishes of our manager and our club and don't let the side down as it will only lead to bad press

You work fast.

The likes of Shiels, Black and Sandaza will be important imo. But, Shiels and Fran didn't do much in todays game to warrant getting a start in this one.

I'd like to see Crawford, McKay and Kal get a shot at this. Crucially, I want to see our captain back. He'll make sure the rest are Ready for the battle.

i would go with this:

Alexander

Argyriou, Perry, McCulloch ©, Wallace

Aird, MacLeod (if fit), Black, Templeton

Shiels

Little

Cribari has been too inconsistent this season IMO and i can see Russell causing him a lot of problems, so i would stick Jig back there to add a bit of experience and stability.

i believe young Aird would thrive on this kind of game. he was thrown into the deep end when he was handed his debut against Motherwell and i think he did very well that night. i was considering McKay but i think Aird is better suited to the right wing.

i think Black is a big game player and i know he'll be well up for this one. he'll add bite to the midfield which is exactly what's needed for a game like this.

Andy Little has been great this season when played up front, not in midfield. i imagine Sandaza would be firing blanks all day (although this might be the perfect opportunity to prove himself? i wouldn't take that risk though) so i would start with Little.

We need McCulloch back in my opinion.

I'd go 4-4-2 with a starting lineup of: Alexader, Wallace, Perry, Cribari, Hegarty, Templeton, MacLeod (if fit), Hutton, McKay, Little and McCulloch.

Lets put today behind us and go out and show what we are made of (tu)

After today I don't know what to expect. Without McLeod we struggle. We have no consistent RB. Cribari's pace will be shown up at this level too albeit he is good in the air.

We need our experienced players to step up, but cannot rely on Sandaza for goals. I would play McCulloch up front.

We need a big day from Shiels and Templeton.

Overall I cannot see us beating DU on present form.

Tactically I just wonder what Ally will come out with.

My heart says we can win this, but my head says no way.

Dundee Utd aren't anything special. this has been their worst season for a few years and their confidence will be low after a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Ross County today, who are 11th in the SPL. we weren't fancied to beat Motherwell because of our poor form but beat them we did. we are all disappointed after todays result but i believe we have a serious chance of getting a result next weekend

I think to be fair this game can be treated in isolation and like an old firm game I don't think our league form will be an indicator to how we will play.

The reality is though should we play at the level we have been of late we will get battered. We are badly going to miss Macleod and I guarantee ally starts jig in midfield...argiou is not the best but at least as a natural right back he gives us balance.

Lots of comments today re how good perry played..not to sure on that...he made some good last ditch challenges but he had to because he was caught flat footed or out of position and against Russell etc he will get exposed.

We need to play with much more intensity and black will have to produce. Definetly not confident but as ever there is always hope.

All the 3rd Division teams that play us come with a real cup final attitude and it shows (not an excuse for Rangers performance against Montrose today but a fact all the same). We'll go out and play our "Biggest game of the season so far" with exactly that attitude and I'm hopeful we'll get a result. Come on Rangers! :ukflag:

I didn't think we were as bad a some on here today .Thought Cribari and Perry were decent and made quite a few superb last minute tackles .For me Sandaza was shocking .Another 15 chances spurned and no return .Few of our other forwards showed very little composure with Temps very guilty on quite a few occasions..We can win next week .Utd are not the same as before but rest assured they will be wanting to make there mark against us big time .Big Lee has to come back in and hope we are solid as a unit for any chance next week