Alex Mcleish Signings- Top 5?

stewaj3

I was thinking earlier about how many good signings mcleish actually made? Who would make your top 5?

1. Prso

2. Novo

3. Boumsong

4. Hemdani

5. Boyd

Here's a list of signings

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi

I'm not including Arteta as id credit Advocaat with his signing, even though Mcleish was the manager when he joined, Its common knowledge Advocaat wanted him as soon as we played PSG and then as director of football, secured the signature.

Its pretty painful reading that list it says it all that if i did a top 10, by the time i got to the bottom it would look prettty grim, you look at some of those players there and think of the wages they'd have been on, plus some big fee's... I think Mcleish got very lucky that he inherited a lot of good players.

Players like Maniero, Rodriguez, Buffel, Pierre-Fanfan, Waterrus, Hemdani, Kygriakos, Jeffers, vanoli, berg, emerson, capucho, ostenstad... thats a lot of wages right there.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffel, waeterus, kyriakos and hemdani were good players and at different times contributed to alot of success...he did make some poor signings to be fair and that again goes back to the scouting network as he was operating on a budget...it seems its something that has been poor for a while! Tin hat on here but I actually liked Rodriquez as a defender as well...

Something i've just thought of and it may not be much... but i think if you were to pick a best 11 out of that side.. and looked at mccoists signings... despite the difference in budget and division i stilll think 3 or 4 of them wouldn't be too far away from getting in that team! (Aluko, Wallace, Temps and Boca)

Something i've just thought of and it may not be much... but i think if you were to pick a best 11 out of that side.. and looked at mccoists signings... despite the difference in budget and division i stilll think 3 or 4 of them wouldn't be too far away from getting in that team! (Aluko, Wallace, Temps and Boca)

The difference in budget wouldn't have been that big, probably.

McLeish never got the deserved credit for the job he done in impossible financial circumstances.

The difference in budget wouldn't have been that big, probably.

McLeish never got the deserved credit for the job he done in impossible financial circumstances.

The domestic form in his final season was an embarassment although that's offset by the Champions League campaign.

I still think he stayed a season too long though.

The domestic form in his final season was an embarassment although that's offset by the Champions League campaign.

I still think he stayed a season too long though.

See, our domestic form was terrible that season, I agree. But truth be told, Hearts simply had a better team than us that season, if you go pull a starting XI from any Rangers-Hearts game from that season I'd wager they had the better team. Too many years of cost cutting had destroyed us as a real force that year, despite the European exploits.

McLeish ran out of ideas, and ran out of steam. As much as I loved him for winning us so many trophies and getting us to the last-16, I'd have to agree that he did stay a season too long. But then, why wouldn't he?

I'm presuming the only reason Boumsong is on everyone's list is because of the mad profit we made on him?

I remember him making mistakes every match, and the commentators would always just say he's being casual because he's too good for this level.

That's the only reason I have him in there.

Kyrgiakos was a good signing and another player who cost us nothing and I think Ferguson also proved himself to be good value for money over a number of years after he came back too.

That's the only reason I have him in there.

Kyrgiakos was a good signing and another player who cost us nothing and I think Ferguson also proved himself to be good value for money over a number of years after he came back too.

Kyrgiakos was a funny one.

He was absolutely excellent in his loan spell, then when we signed him on a permanent deal he was still a decent defender, but made far, far more mistakes.

At the time I never really appreciated the job that Mcleish done mainly because I probably hadn't accepted the financial constraints. Still think he signed some dross however that arguably makes the trophies won even more exceptional - let's face it the offended offenders were hard to beat at the time.

Considering the big goals he scored wee Nacho was a fantastic signing and Dado was a incredible free (he was a free wasn't he?). Marvin was worth signing for 'Keep Believing' alone.

See, our domestic form was terrible that season, I agree. But truth be told, Hearts simply had a better team than us that season, if you go pull a starting XI from any Rangers-Hearts game from that season I'd wager they had the better team. Too many years of cost cutting had destroyed us as a real force that year, despite the European exploits.

McLeish ran out of ideas, and ran out of steam. As much as I loved him for winning us so many trophies and getting us to the last-16, I'd have to agree that he did stay a season too long. But then, why wouldn't he?

That Hearts team was actually pretty good. imagine getting a champions league winner and a European championship winner in the SPL within a year of those wins now :lol:

That Hearts team was actually pretty good. imagine getting a champions league winner and a European championship winner in the SPL within a year of those wins now :lol:

:lol:.

In 2005/6 we had a Hearts team with Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Fyssas, Hartley, Skacel, Jankauskis etc, a Hibs team with Whittaker, Murphy, Brown, Thomson, Riordan and O'Connor. Even Aberdeen had Anderson, McNaughton, Nicholson, Clark and Miller.

The quality drop in the SPL is shocking the last few years.