CG: "The players dream of a free punch at me but I was right..."

There's a clear distinction between using these words in a jovial context to a friend that is clearly okay with it, and using it to abuse a stranger. I know that, you know that, and Charles Green knows that.

Fuck it, maybe they call him a mad honkey or a cracker boy.

Hypothetically, if you were in Pakistan and played for a football team who were all pakistanis, apart from you, and they decided to call you "Whitey".

Would you be offended?

Whitey, hokny that kind of thing? I wouldn't be happy about it no. I take it you would then?

Right, now you answer my question in the first post, the part about justifying the term darkie. Don't deflect again like this time.

i used to work with a maori guy who happened to be gay. he used to give me the hitler salute every time i was at work and say heil hitler in his little gay voice

i had a number one haircut at the time

it was a hoot and we all knew it was a laugh

and in return id make fun of something about him

it was all banter

every situation is different

i dunno mate but i think everything just gets blown way out of proportion on these forums and in the media. it's all fucking mental

im over it

i just wanna see some decent football ffs

The fact is it's not just this though. It's all building up, Charles Green being the centre of attention has been going on for most of the season. Whether he's making comments about fans singing, other clubs, whatever the topic is, Green has to be the focal point and it's not right.

There's a clear distinction between using these words in a jovial context to a friend that is clearly okay with it, and using it to abuse a stranger. I know that, you know that, and Charles Green knows that.

And then there is broadcasting the fact he says it, in the national media.

The world has went to PC because we denounce terms like darkie and paki? Are you serious.

The first part of my post was tongue-in-cheek, but you can't tell tone over the Internet.

Yes it is difficult to judge someone tone over the Internet or through print media yet it seems many are making assumptions on greens comment! "I know a guy who any time he sees me says what up n***er?".....now does that make him a racist? Is he being offensive or is he using a colloquial term to address his mate? Some people probably would take offence to that even in that context but that's their problem!

Now I agree as CEO of rangers he needs to be more guarded with what he says but again that just highlights his point that the world has went far to far to be offended by words and or terms regardless of context!

As I said, he keeps it to himself then. He doesn't blow open the door to criticism by telling it to the press.

You really, really haven't touched any nerves. First of all, the only thing I'm offended by, is your reliance on the use of "context" to attempt to justify the use of racist terms. Can you justify using the term darkie? In what context was that used?

No you arethe one who refuses to accept that context plays any part in the use of terminology that some may find offensive. Your dismissal of the example I provided and your continuing avoidance of answering a question to me seems to confirm that your faux offendeness is much more to do with your general attitude to Green, as evidenced by your ranting post in this thread, than any genuine concern for folk who suffer discrimination on a daily basis.

Yes it is difficult to judge someone tone over the Internet or through print media yet it seems many are making assumptions on greens comment! "I know a guy who any time he sees me says what up n***er?".....now does that make him a racist? Is he being offensive or is he using a colloquial term to address his mate? Some people probably would take offence to that even in that context but that's their problem!

Now I agree as CEO of rangers he needs to be more guarded with what he says but again that just highlights his point that the world has went far to far to be offended by words and or terms regardless of context!

No, it doesn't make him racist, it makes him an idiot. No offence intended to your mate.

Charles Green has not made a good point in this interview, he has embarrassed the Rangers name and brand. You think people will read this and apply "context" or do you think they will use it as rope to hang us with? You think these kind of stories attract investors? Sponsors?

The fact is it's not just this though. It's all building up, Charles Green being the centre of attention has been going on for most of the season. Whether he's making comments about fans singing, other clubs, whatever the topic is, Green has to be the focal point and it's not right.

yeh i hear what you are saying but my point is that everything has just been amplified to the max and its all gotten outta wack

green ends up being the focal point cos people like to put the spotlight onto him

it's wrong to be racist but i'll be brually honest...i have many asian friends who often ask me to call them by that word. I genuinly don't do it, but alot asians do ask for it.

Anyone who has been around a lot of Asians or has them in their friend circle knows this.

There's a clear difference between the word 'paki' and using it as an insult.

No you arethe one who refuses to accept that context plays any part in the use of terminology that some may find offensive. Your dismissal of the example I provided and your continuing avoidance of answering a question to me seems to confirm that your faux offendeness is much more to do with your general attitude to Green, as evidenced by your ranting post in this thread, than any genuine concern for folk who suffer discrimination on a daily basis.

The only question you asked me was if you touched a nerve. I answered that. I don't see any other question. But please ask away.

And my dismissal of context is because it's a cop out. Darkie and paki aren't acceptable terms to use. It's really not difficult. You'd address a black person as ni**er in the correct context?

I'm extremely disappointed with Green's remarks, but not surprised. Just more noise from a guy who likes his own voice. A number of posters have suggested that Paki is akin to Scot. Had it not been a term that was generally used disparagingly, and frequently followed by "b*stard", that would be right, but the fact is that it's a best seen as an ignorant remark used to exclude and to denote Asians, regardless of what country they or their parents originated from. Most "Pakis" in the UK were born here, so the use of the word can't be excused by the claim that it's just the same as saying "Aussie". It's also used despite the fact that "Pakis" parents come from India, Benghal, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Khazakstan etc etc. Green presumably sees his "friend" as less than an equal, or wouldn't feel the need to apply the term. Green thinks skin colour or background is in some way relevant and worthy of comment, and that says all you need to know about him. As for whether it's offensive, I doubt any of the Asians I know would feel offended. This is because they're above it and recognise ignorance for what it is. Doesn't mean they wouldn't rather it stopped.

Agree with every word.

No, it doesn't make him racist, it makes him an idiot. No offence intended to your mate.

Charles Green has not made a good point in this interview, he has embarrassed the Rangers name and brand. You think people will read this and apply "context" or do you think they will use it as rope to hang us with? You think these kind of stories attract investors? Sponsors?

I'm agreeing as rangers CEO it wasn't the best interview to give however green could say the grass was green and the sky was blue and some would find fault and/or take offence! Once again I agree as a figure head for our club he needs to be smarter and more guarded with his comments but then again that emphasises his point!

In relation to my mate, he is an idiot, so no offence taken but the point is he is someone who doesn't have a racist, bigoted or judgmental bone in his body and doesn't take offence to anything that is not a direct remark or with a derogatory undertone! In this context and the one green refers to his mate is not something anyone should take offence to but they will and that's why the world is too PC IMO....that said once again I agree as rangers CEO he needs to be more guarded with his views....

This 'insult' has always intrigued me. Ive often heard people from Scotland referred to as a 'Scot'. Basically just a shortened version of Scottish I presume. No unless it has bastard tacked on the end then it isn't an offensive term at all.

Paki is a shortened version of Pakistani, I presume, but the connotations seem to be so different. Why?

However, in my opinion, Green shouldn't even have mentioned it. It's not the time and not while representing Rangers.