Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

Oh I'm sure admin will allow us the latitude to discuss this. (Particularly when PM is not available in performance mode)

You see I'm beginning to get a bit confused by the answers you are providing. How can you stereotype a site when you admit and accept such attitudes and beliefs exist within the wider Rangers community ?

Firstly as an example in an earlier response you quoted being anti-RST as a stereotype - yet now you accept that such sentiment is shared by a number of forums. So is that a generic stereotype then ?

Furthermore, as Bluepeter has pointed out to you, there are a number of pro-RST posters on here so do they fit a particular stereotype ?

I particularly object to your assertion that this site was pro-Muir because that is absolutely erroneous - I wrote an article on here which was published which was very much damning of Donald Muir and a lot of posters agreed with it. In fact I don't recall anyone disagreeing with it.

Finally dont you think you do posters on here something of a dis-service by suggesting they are influenced by others, and how does that fit in with your earlier admission we are all capable of individual thought on here ?

remind me never to argue with you dart.

Good post sir.

Whoa, hold on cowboy. I didn't mention anything about the views of the site. We both know the site doesn't hold views on things like this.

I was talking about the views of the members. Certainly, the last time there was an RST debate on here, the pro-RST side was a little outnumbered to say the least...

That's more a lack of interest as opposed to anti-RST to be fair.

A non-exec Chairman gets paid, and he does have a casting vote, but only if it states in his contract.

Thats what I wasn't sure on. I'm sure many non-execs wont have a vote as many are simply used as figure head/spokesperson types. I do think that is the role Smith will fill. Mather doesn't seem to be a bit more camera shy than Green and to be honest if there was to be bad news to come out it would probably be taken a bit better by some to hear it from Smith and not some bloke in a suit.

what the fuck is twitter :7325: you seriously go by twitter :7325:A bad day for the Real True Rangers fans. Bain will be packing his suitcase now, mini will be looking for a Rangers tie and major murray will summon Watty to hop through to the Edinburgh HQ.

Bad bad day.

you seriously go by twitter :7325:

better twitter than twatter

A shambles. One part of the official website announcing Walter Smith as Chairman and another announcing him as Non-Exec Chairman. So which is it then? Even basic factual announcements are beyond the capabilities of this Board.

What credentials does Walter Smith have if it is to be Chairman? Has Rangers given up on the principle of appointing people with the right skills, expertise, competence and experience so that the right people are appointed to the right jobs? Or (doed it go without saying as so many people at Ibrox are prone to saying) are we back to a jobs for the boys syndrome? As an investor as well as Supporter this is a move that is very far from satisfactory from my point of view. I simply do not see Walter Smith as having the commercial and business acumen to lead Rangers and to propel the Club forward. Right now I find it extremely hard to believe that the Board knows what it is doing and is simply now looking for a quiet life resigned to the backwaters of Scottish football.

One of the official site announcements also refers to Mather as Chief Executive....."Chief Executive Craig Magther said....". Has his position as CEO also been confirmed? If it hasn't then he is still an interim CEO. The combination of a Chairman (or is it non-exec Chairman) who I very much doubt would know one end of a balance sheet from another and thus is ill prepared to deal effectively in financial / commercial discussions, paired with what still to my eyes looks like nothing more than an apprentice CEO has the appearance of being an ill-equiped senior leadership team for a club of Rangers stature. Had that pairing been running an IPO I sincerely doubt if they would have generated the amount raised. I now fear their combined lack of credible experience at these levels will lead to the money being squandered and that it introduces a risk of poor financial and commercial stewardship at Ibrox.

And so we enter the era of .................'it goes without saying'.

A shambles. One part of the official website announcing Walter Smith as Chairman and another announcing him as Non-Exec Chairman. So which is it then? Even basic factual announcements are beyond the capabilities of this Board.

What credentials does Walter Smith have if it is to be Chairman? Has Rangers given up on the principle of appointing people with the right skills, expertise, competence and experience so that the right people are appointed to the right jobs? Or (doed it go without saying as so many people at Ibrox are prone to saying) are we back to a jobs for the boys syndrome? As an investor as well as Supporter this is a move that is very far from satisfactory from my point of view. I simply do not see Walter Smith as having the commercial and business acumen to lead Rangers and to propel the Club forward. Right now I find it extremely hard to believe that the Board knows what it is doing and is simply now looking for a quiet life resigned to the backwaters of Scottish football.

One of the official site announcements also refers to Mather as Chief Executive....."Chief Executive Craig Magther said....". Has his position as CEO also been confirmed? If it hasn't then he is still an interim CEO. The combination of a Chairman (or is it non-exec Chairman) who I very much doubt would know one end of a balance sheet from another and thus is ill prepared to deal effectively in financial / commercial discussions, paired with what still to my eyes looks like nothing more than an apprentice CEO has the appearance of being an ill-equiped senior leadership team for a club of Rangers stature. Had that pairing been running an IPO I sincerely doubt if they would have generated the amount raised. I now fear their combined lack of credible experience at these levels will lead to the money being squandered and that it introduces a risk of poor financial and commercial stewardship at Ibrox.

And so we enter the era of .................'it goes without saying'.

What credentials do you have to determine whether Smith is suitable for the role? How do you know what Smiths business skills are? Do you know Mathers business background? Given that he invested £1000000 in the club I'll guess he's a bit more succesful than you are. Do you know what the role af a non executive chairman involves and how it means that Smith won't be involved in the day to day running of the club?

I'm just not sure the motives are anymore than fan appeasement.

Thats a fair point. I am quite surprised at the clubs decision but will give it time to see how it plays out.

Walter as a figurehead in untroubled times is a nice idea but at the moment we are under forensic analysis and attack from every quarter.

Is Walter the man to speak for us in these times or do we need someone more bullish and with more business acumen?

I honestly dont know but good luck to him.

To be fair to the appointment of Walter (baring in mind I'm on the fence about it) is that being a non exec chairman, you don't have to be clued up on every aspect of business. I assume your there to oversee, stabilise and make final decisions on any verdict that's hung etc - we have marketing, finance, sports etc directors in place to do the jobs that those skills require

Unless I've got the role wrong

A non-exec Chairman gets paid, and he does have a casting vote, but only if it states in his contract.

A non executive chairman is a part time office holder who sits on and chairs the main board of a company, and also usually provides support and advice to a chief executive officer. This position usually entails fulfilling a similar function on a number of ancillary board committee, as well as being a political figurehead of the company.

Thats what I wasn't sure on. I'm sure many non-execs wont have a vote as many are simply used as figure head/spokesperson types. I do think that is the role Smith will fill. Mather doesn't seem to be a bit more camera shy than Green and to be honest if there was to be bad news to come out it would probably be taken a bit better by some to hear it from Smith and not some bloke in a suit.

dude sorry but that is pish - all directors of a company carry the same responsibility for the company - wether non - exec or not. and boards run on concensus views often decided upon by votes and with certain matters reserved for shareholders ( such as selling a company) but there is no such thing as a director (or a chairman) as just being a figurehead !

Walter Smith will be wearing a suit.

dude sorry but that is pish - all directors of a company carry the same responsibility for the company - wether non - exec or not. and boards run on concensus views often decided upon by votes and with certain matters reserved for shareholders ( such as selling a company) but there is no such thing as a director (or a chairman) as just being a figurehead !

No what did Advocaat or Smith or Souness provide during their Directorships? or John Greig? What have Smith and Hart been doing in their non-exec directorships? John McLelland as non-exec Chairman under SDM. They may carry the same responsibility for the company overall but each will fulfill different roles based on their skills.

Sir Alex at Man United, Bobby Charlton at Man United. Another two who have directorships yet won't particularly contribute an awful lot to the business side of the company yet being a fantastic spokesperson to roll out.

I'm in the minority but I am actually happy about the appointment. the other directors clearly think he is the man for the job. Although Walter has no experience I am sure he will always have the best interest of the club in every decision he makes and there is other directors/staff there that will have responsibilities. I can't imagine Walter wants the job for ever and i'm sure he will just be in the position for a couple of years till everything is settled.

the club has been in a mess over the last few months with imran, green, stockbridge, murray all rumoured to be leaking stories and tbh if they are going to behave like that then they are all better gone.

Hopefully things will settle down now, board cutting out backstabing and leaks, good few signings made so I am positive and looking forward to start of the season.