Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

Depends on the role. For example, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeneß perform executive chairman and president roles at Bayern - even if the latter does have a business background. Rummenigge is also acting chair of the ECA if I recall correctly.

I'm not saying Walter has the same CV but this isn't a unique appointment.

What I'm getting at is that a football club will have a large part of its day to day running that involves...football. Walter is a football man, and these days a significant amount of it is played off the park.

I would suggest that the Chairman of a football club is a lot more than a figurehead.

Well in the majority of cases you would be wrong....most chairman take nothing to do with the day to day running, have no extra power than any other board member and are seen more as the public face if the company rather than an intrinsic cog....

In Walter We Trust.

Can see that Knighthood coming shortly.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, in what must be seen as a positive move for Glasgow Rangers, Walter Smith is appointed Chairman of the board, a position that Charles Green himself wanted him to take. Yet some are so blinded by negativity they can only see this as a move to strengthen Ally's position at Rangers.

Aye right...

Well in the majority of cases you would be wrong....most chairman take nothing to do with the day to day running, have no extra power than any other board member and are seen more as the public face if the company rather than an intrinsic cog....

This isn't the flip side to what I meant at all. I have an open mind to what Walter will do as Rangers Chairman, but it won't necessarily be as a figurehead.

What I'm getting at is that a football club will have a large part of its day to day running that involves...football. Walter is a football man, and these days a significant amount of it is played off the park.

Absolutely but I'd argue it's important to have football-experienced people 'laymen' like Smith involved. Happens right across the sport and, while it's debatable how much power they hold, as long as they have the right people behind them I'm happy for Walter to act as an ambassador for our club.

Like I say, the most important thing now is for the club to clarify the EGM situation ahead of season ticket renewals.

... is this notion that he is not a business man!?

With his length of managerial experience, at both Rangers and Everton , he would have been well involved with the business side of the clubs and also seemed to be no slouch with his own contracts.

He is a proven leader and trusted by the vast majority of Rangers fans ( sadly not all as this forum shows) and would be an excellent figurehead at this time when we need stability.

Rangers are no longer a dictictorial led business but a board led business and no one director will have all the skills we need and therefore who better than Walter at the helm?

dear oh dear

Absolutely but I'd argue it's important to have football-experienced people 'laymen' like Smith involved. Happens right across the sport and, while it's debatable how much power they hold, as long as they have the right people behind them I'm happy for Walter to act as an ambassador for our club.

Like I say, the most important thing now is for the club to clarify the EGM situation ahead of season ticket renewals.

My only contention is that Walter will not be just a figurehead, so I think what you say has great points. Power is ambiguous in many cases, and Walter's role at Rangers would carry a great deal of weight no matter what he did.

I have no doubt you would like to argue, but as I see your 'check' list as laughable I certainly won't be wasting any more time on it.

I am glad to see that you cannot argue against a single point. Probably down to that they are all accurate in there portrayal. checkmate

some fucking fools in this thread.

Few things of note;

Walter is elected chairman just prior to Season tickets going on sale.

He has no business acumen, he is merely given a different seat at the table and he will not have the authority to pass decisions without the boards support.

He has NEVER been vocal in shouting down those who wish to destoy us, so expect apologies and agreement galore with the shite that gets cast against us.

He can still be bombed out by the board if they so vote.

He will step down within 6 months.

Depends on the role. For example, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeneß perform executive chairman and president roles at Bayern - even if the latter does have a business background. Rummenigge is also acting chair of the ECA if I recall correctly.

I'm not saying Walter has the same CV but this isn't a unique appointment.

I'm meeting Karl Heinz next month - I will ask him ;)

Only part of the story that really caught my eye, was Gary Ralston has his name on this back page story..........now not for the first time Gary has recently come out with news like this.................where's Jackson? as he does love to see his name on the big stories, have they left him off to give the story a more believable slant or has Jackson like Daly perhaps been asked certain questions relating to information he has released over the last 18 months or so?

Hope to hear that CG is back at the Club before the weekend.

If Walt is chairman then all the stories will go the rebel and his mates Jackson and Shuggy .

Walter may not have a high profile business background, but he does have a good football background.

We're in the football business, so his football experience sounds to me like it will be invaluable in this case.

I'm OK with this, if true, which it appears it may well be.