Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

I'm willing to give him a chance as deep down I know he will be a better chairman than Murray was (it wouldn't be difficult)

It should also give the club a bit of much needed stability

What I'm worried about though is the lack of progress. It will go back to being an old boys network, another fresh start for McCoist in which I could never see him getting sacked no matter how shite we do and most of all a blank wall of dignified silence when it comes to the taigs and media

I'm hoping its just temporary to restore some stability, praying in fact.

FFS!!!!

Dignified silence, jobs for the boys, daily rebel in the know, bbc welcomed, radio snyde welcomed and an sfa love-in. Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I suspect you may be correct.

To all saying Smith has no business experience - who cares?

The role of the Chairman is to keep the machine moving. Make sure meetings are conducted in an orderly fashion etc. You know, kind of like the manager of a football team which I've heard Walter's half decent at.

I think many posters are underestimating the function of a Board chairman which, under the UK Corporate Governance Code requires:

Leadership of the board, ensuring its effectiveness on all aspects of its role and setting its agenda;

• Ensuring that the directors receive accurate, timely and clear information;

• Ensuring effective communication with shareholders;

• Facilitating the effective contribution of non-executive directors and ensuring constructive

relations between executive and non-executive directors, and

• Acting on the results of board performance evaluation by recognising the strengths and

addressing the weaknesses of the board and, where appropriate, proposing new members be

appointed to the board or seeking the resignation of directors

Walter's commitment to the cause is a given but does he posses the requisite skill set to be an effective chairman - particularly when the Club is in such as state of flux? I fear not and my concern is that the Board will blunder on rudderless until he resigns or is forced-out by means of a future putsch. Remember that another Gers' legend - John Greig - was a pretty dismal non-executive director - simply because he didn't have the wit and nouse to ask the kind of probing questions that non-execs are required UNDER GOVERNANCE RULES to ask. It's all very well saying John and McClelland were kept in the dark by Murray until they felt compelled to resign but it seems that they were not providing the necessary challenge to the executive directors that they should have.

I'm afraid that Walter does not really inspire sufficient confidence that he can cut the mustard corporately - although I hope I'm proved wrong.

To all saying Smith has no business experience - who cares?

The role of the Chairman is to keep the machine moving. Make sure meetings are conducted in an orderly fashion etc. You know, kind of like the manager of a football team which I've heard Walter's half decent at.

Half decent not a glowing recommendation :D

At least he'll be straight up with us. Obviously he'll know that he'll need to get someone in with a good business sense etc, but I think its a good move, one of the most important things for me is the end of all this speculation and not knowing whats going to happen. I believe Sir Walter can be trusted.

He may not be Bill Gates but to say he has no business experience is absurd

I'm pretty sure Walter knows a great deal more about the running of a football club than most.

you are joking eh? if you yourself are employed, do you know what the people in the company you work for do? i doubt it, unless you have worked your way up to being a chairman. Walter has just been installed from nothing on a business standpoint

Being a chairman means that you oversee and vote on decisions and are reliant on being able to keep a reasonable amount of knowledge on each employees role and job spec.

Fuck does Walter know other then the players? will he be able to question what accountants bring to meetings? will he have the nous to be able to spot a good investment opportunity form a shite one? WIll he be able to make staff cuts to save money?

i very much doubt it.

I have respect for Walter and what he has done for the club but he is merely a figurehead to get tickets sold and calm fans, he is not going to help the club improve it's financial standing or attract investment.

take off the "i love watty" cardigan and glasses, from a business point of view it is a ridiculous appointment, it's like having the assistant manager for catering installed at the top table of a company.