The Xbox One

Straight-Edge-Loyal

I'm a bit confused as to what it means by "signing in every day" as well.

Surely it doesn't mean you have to actually turn the Xbox on and literally sign in to Live every day? If it is, why? Why have Sony not had to do that and for what reason are Microsoft doing it?

I'm a bit confused as to what it means by "signing in every day" as well.

Surely it doesn't mean you have to actually turn the Xbox on and literally sign in to Live every day? If it is, why? Why have Sony not had to do that and for what reason are Microsoft doing it?

Anti piracy and copyright are the reasons given but I think it is every game.every day now I have over 30.360 games does that mean I need to manually put each one in every day for it to work on the new console?

You have to sign in every 24hrs if you want to play. If you don't, you can't play for 24hrs. As said above, it's to stop piracy. Not heard of anyone with a console not having an internet connection in years anyway. The battle between the two has only just started, The Xbox One will win with the other things they have confirmed but maybe just haven't been as widely reported as they should.

Sony lying about the DRM and being able to play used games should be a little worrying, what else are they lying about? It's not really £80 cheaper at all, The Xbox includes Kinect and comes with a few other little perks like Skype apps etc. Sony will still have that cheap, boring user interface.

Xbox is also currently giving out 2 free games a month until the new console is released. The Xbox One exclusives alone won me over.

As said in E3 thread I've decided to stick with my 360 for now as both consoles are too pricey for me as have holidays and shit booked also I want to wait a year and see how both consoles are shaping up and then probably get a bundled deal Xmas 2014 on whichever is doing the best,I have far too many games still to complete and play on the 360 anyways and so will also just get GTA5 now for my 360 which will also probably be the last game I'll buy for the 360.

Not heard of anyone with a console not having an internet connection in years anyway.

46million Xbox live subscribers... 78million units sold. You do the math...

Peoples complaints are not solely based around having no access to the internet.. a lot of people just don't want to connect their consoles to the internet. They just want to be able to stick a game disc in and play, not faff around with live accounts and so on..

Sony lying about the DRM and being able to play used games should be a little worrying, what else are they lying about? It's not really £80 cheaper at all, The Xbox includes Kinect and comes with a few other little perks like Skype apps etc. Sony will still have that cheap, boring user interface.

Sony haven't lied about anything, they are just extremely good at playing the PR game. They didn't say no DRM.. They said the following "the PS4 won't impose any new restrictions". Sure, they have no control over 3rd party publishers, but the reality is their console and their 1st party games will not enforce anything that isn't already on the PS3. Thus, no lies... just clever marketing.

Dress it up any way you want.. but £80 less is still £80 cheaper.

You're forced into buying Kinect because regardless of whether you want it or not, you need it for the console to work.. You don't need the PS Eye for the PS4 to work! So your comparison is null and void..

Xbox is also currently giving out 2 free games a month until the new console is released.

Free games.. Oh wait, you mean like PS+ has been doing for well over a year now?

46million Xbox live subscribers... 78million units sold. You do the math...

Peoples complaints are not solely based around having no access to the internet.. a lot of people just don't want to connect their consoles to the internet. They just want to be able to stick a game disc in and play, not faff around with live accounts and so on..

Sony haven't lied about anything, they are just extremely good at playing the PR game. They didn't say no DRM.. They said the following "the PS4 won't impose any new restrictions". Sure, they have no control over 3rd party publishers, but the reality is their console and their 1st party games will not enforce anything that isn't already on the PS3. Thus, no lies... just clever marketing.

Dress it up any way you want.. but £80 less is still £80 cheaper.

You're forced into buying Kinect because regardless of whether you want it or not, you need it for the console to work.. You don't need the PS Eye for the PS4 to work! So your comparison is null and void..

Free games.. Oh wait, you mean like PS+ has been doing for well over a year now?

Thanks for this. I didn't have the patience to type out a reply so glad you did!

You have to sign in every 24hrs if you want to play. If you don't, you can't play for 24hrs. As said above, it's to stop piracy. Not heard of anyone with a console not having an internet connection in years anyway. The battle between the two has only just started, The Xbox One will win with the other things they have confirmed but maybe just haven't been as widely reported as they should.

Xbox is also currently giving out 2 free games a month until the new console is released. The Xbox One exclusives alone won me over.

Sony haven't lied about DRM at all. They've been forthcoming whereas MS have dodged this topics for months and it's a joke. Even their own people are saying different things and I refuse to buy a console before I know what I'm getting. As for the free games we're talking about Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 (several years old) whereas the PS+ system is giving you access to recent games. I also prefer the fact that with Sony I'm not forced to buy an accessory I don't care for in this motion control gimmick.

Only thing you partially got right is that MS could yet "win" as these machines will have 10 year life cycles so plenty of time for them to turn it around, but right now it's a disaster - just look at Amazon's Facebook poll.

Sony haven't lied about DRM at all. They've been forthcoming whereas MS have dodged this topics for months and it's a joke. Even their own people are saying different things and I refuse to buy a console before I know what I'm getting. As for the free games we're talking about Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 (several years old) whereas the PS+ system is giving you access to recent games. I also prefer the fact that with Sony I'm not forced to buy an accessory I don't care for in this motion control gimmick.

Only thing you partially got right is that MS could yet "win" as these machines will have 10 year life cycles so plenty of time for them to turn it around, but right now it's a disaster - just look at Amazon's Facebook poll.

With the new rules about it being signed in once a day how does that effect you if your on holiday?

Also does it mean you need to sign in every game wvery day?

You have to sign in once with the console every 24 hours otherwise you won't be able to use many of its functions including playing games. If your internet is down I've heard you can use your smartphone to sign in and keep you console unlocked but I don't know anything more about it so best to Google it.

You have to sign in once with the console every 24 hours otherwise you won't be able to use many of its functions including playing games. If your internet is down I've heard you can use your smartphone to sign in and keep you console unlocked but I don't know anything more about it so best to Google it.

I could find anything when I searched google and I have a pish phone that this gen of SmartGlass wont work for the next gen will probably blow it up so cant sign in that way either.

I could find anything when I searched google and I have a pish phone that this gen of SmartGlass wont work for the next gen will probably blow it up so cant sign in that way either.

http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-suggests-tethering-xbox-one-to-a-phone-for-activation-checks-1559048/

Seems the only prerequisite is a 3G/4G device and you're good.

I think I'll be the same as a few folks above and wait a while before getting either a PS4 or Xbox 1, I barely get time to play my 360 as it is. I know I'll end up with both anyway.

The thing that's coming quite clear from Microsoft is that they're changing things and we can like it or leave it. It could turn out to be a great move on their part, as happened with XBox live in the beginning, or it could backfire spectacularly and leave them in the shit that they seem to be in just now with gamers and a lot of the gaming press. I hope it's the former, I'd like to have the choice of cracking games on all the platforms rather than just one.

Competition is healthy if either Sony ot Microsoft win and totally get rid of the other we could end up like another Sega timeframe with the likes of the Game Gear and Dreamcast being "revisited" for lack of a better word meaning terrible ideas that get made due to a lack of competitors.

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier:

http://www.neowin.ne...-one-intentions

Very exciting if they're making digital copies of games cheap like Steam.

On the face of it this could be a great step forward for console games, but I don't see it. PC platforms are dime a dozen - both Sony and Microsoft still will control the supply of their devices and thus the price. Add to that, publishers who seem intent on milking franchises financially every chance they get (DLC micro transaction, yearly updates ) and I won't hold my breath. Wait and see.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa